Advice on Selling a 1972 Custom El Camino

turion94

Reaction score
My uncle is trying to sell his 1972 El Camino. I've been trying to help him out. Do you guys have any advice on what online car websites other than Craigslist is best for selling high dollar classic cars? It's been on craigslist for a few months but so far there have only been tire kickers and lowball offers. He is asking $24,900 or best offer which is priced towards the top of the market but fair for this type of build. Any help is much appreciated. Here are pictures and a description.

"1972 Chevrolet El Camino one-of-a kind show car. Professionally built frame-off restoration with $55,000 in parts and labor. Very expensive high quality Chameleon paintjob featuring rare lighter color tones that changes shades as you walk around the vehicle. Painted ghost racing hood stripes on the cowl hood. Absolutely gorgeous and gets tons of attention. Built 383 Stroker engine dressed in billet aluminum. High performance transmission. Heavy duty 12 bolt axle. Upgraded suspension with heavy duty sway bars, Energy bushings, and many more performance parts. Black vinyl interior with SS Bucket Seats, Console, dash with factory tachometer, as well as aftermarket Auto-light RPM, water and temp gauge. Air conditioning by Vintage Air blows ice cold. You won't find another one like this. Must see in person to truly appreciate."

IMG_3626_zpshhwsbcba.jpg

IMG_3634_zps7dh3renc.jpg

IMG_3619_zpsfludxivo.jpg

1972%20Elcamino%206-5-2014%201-29-24%20PM_zpsvo5jhzyn.jpg

IMG_3628_zpsta77pina.jpg

IMG_3621_zps3nxg767e.jpg

IMG_3624_zpscxxbyxhl.jpg

1972%20Elcamino%206-5-2014%201-41-32%20PM_zps66a9igu7.jpg

IMG_3602_zpseuhykcjb.jpg

IMG_3611_zpsaji2qcok.jpg

mustangmurley

Reaction score
This thing is sick!! Awesome ride your uncle has there... But is it a car or a truck?!?!?! Haha Try listing it on eBay and see if you get any bites there. If no sale maybe even a lead to someone who would be interested.... And you're more than welcome to come park that thing in my drive way anytime I'll take good care of her [emoji48][emoji1303] good luck hope you find a good home for her!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Nice car! A vehicle like this is tough to find a buyer with the cash, especially local. I'd put it on eBay where it can be seen nation wide, the guy that has the desire for the car and the cash to purchase might be checking there anyway. I see a lot of expensive and rare cars there at least

edit: ^beat me to it lol

Rob04Mach1

Reaction score
I've sold 12 - 14 High End Vehicles in the last 10 - 12 years and in my opinion eBay is the only way to go.
Personally I wouldn't buy a bad cold on Craig's List and never once have I look for a car there (and I probably buy an average of 3 performance vehicles a year). I've gotten pretty good about buying and selling, here's my opinion....
Car is Beautiful and one I probably would have bought a few months ago when I was looking for a new winter toy BUT his ad needs help.

He opened up fine

"1972 Chevrolet El Camino one-of-a kind show car. Professionally built frame-off restoration with $55,000 in parts and labor. Very expensive high quality Chameleon paintjob featuring rare lighter color tones that changes shades as you walk around the vehicle. Painted ghost racing hood stripes on the cowl hood. Absolutely gorgeous and gets tons of attention.

From this point on is where he needs to get into much more detail

Built 383 Stroker engine dressed in billet aluminum. High performance transmission. Heavy duty 12 bolt axle. Upgraded suspension with heavy duty sway bars, Energy bushings, and many more performance parts.

I want to know if it has Forged Crank, 4 bolt main, what Rods & Pistons, are they Alum Heads and what type, what valves are in it, what rockers, what cam, lifters, & springs, is it roller, hydraulic, solid ??? Most importantly HOW MUCH HP/TQ DOES IT HAVE ???

Is it a T400, T350, or a new fancy built OD Trans ???

What Gears ? Is it Posi ? what Axles ???

Black vinyl interior with SS Bucket Seats, Console, dash with factory tachometer, as well as aftermarket Auto-light RPM, water and temp gauge. Air conditioning by Vintage Air blows ice cold. You won't find another one like this. Must see in person to truly appreciate."

Even here I would have bragged a little more, we're talking about a 44 yr old car so you want to really paint a picture of just how mint it is

I just sold my 67 El Camino for well over 25K on eBay and it's probably just about landing in Germany about now, AMOF I think 4 out of the last 5 I sold went to another country, hence the reason you want to use eBay. When you have something special like that Elky you have to remember they're worth 50 - 55K overseas so you want to list is where EVERYONE is looking. The other important thing is Ebay gives the buyer 50K Vehicle Purchase Protection so people are much more comfortable buying from a stranger without ever seeing the vehicle. Works for me each and every time so I stick with it...

My Elky I just sold for 27K
IMG_1291a.jpg

IMG_1144.jpg

DSCN0619a.jpg

DSCN0613a.jpg

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ebay is the way to go like said above. Oversees money is what you want to attract if nobody local is interested.

Looks like that is BASF Root Beer paint or a copy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online