afghanibob's 1995 Cobra build up---(2021) - things got out of hand

AfghaniBob

Reaction score
Well, I thought that it is about time that I put together a build story of my own.  (may move to the turbocharger board when it is time)

A little background, I am working in Afghanistan and have been for the last two plus years.  The only time that I get to work on the car is during my R&R’s and I only get 3,  16 day trips home a year.  So I have to make the most of my time.  While I am in Afghanistan I read, plan, plot and order all my parts .

On to the car, I bought the car from a Corral member (Sancho Panza) last July.  I could not have been any happier with the purchase, the price, the condition of the car, the ease of the deal with the seller.  Everything worked out just as planned using only emails.  In fact the car made it to my house in Texas from the seller in Ohio just two days prior to me making it home.  The car is a 1995 Cobra convertible, black body, perfect saddle colored leather interior and a black top.  I bought the car 100% bone stock with only a hair over 31,000 miles and in near perfect shape.  I purchased the car with the plans to making a few changes but I wanted to start with a clean pallet.  Since buying the car and driving it less than a thousand miles in the last year here is the list of the modifications.  (So I have deviated from a few changes and I have enough parts lying around to build another car)

The car how it started
cobra_015.jpg

cobra_012.jpg

Keith_s_Car_003.jpg

Suspension, Exhaust and Brakes were first on my list of things to do along with some odds and ends.  So we went with a complete Maximum Motorsports system completed with Baer brakes, Bassani and a few FRPP parts to name a few.
• Bilstien struts/shocks
• MM coil over system f/r with Hypercoil springs
• MM K-member, control arms, rack bushings, bump steer kit, sway bar end links and bushings
• MM rear lower control arms, Panhard Rod, Torque Arm
• MM full length subframe connectors
• Bassani off road X, Cat back system (later on the fitment of the tail pipes with the PHB)
• Ford aluminum drive shaft (didn’t stay in long though)
• Ford 10th anniversary powder coated red calipers f/r
• MM stainless steel brake lines
• Baer two piece rotors f/r
• MM steel braided brake lines
• MSD cap, rotor, coil
• FRPP plug wires
• Fluidyne radiator
• Canton 7 qrt T sump pan and pick up
• Pro 5.0 shifter (same like the driveshaft, didn’t stay long)
• Completely Dynamat’d the doors, floor pan and trunk

Shot of the rear underneath
RES01935.jpg

Front end shots
RES01930.jpg

RES01932.jpg

All the above parts were installed at the same time and while I had the interior out for the welding of the subs I Dynamated any exposed metal.  We pulled the door panels, moister barrier and did them along with the trunk as well.  It is safe to say that the doors sound like my mother’s Lexus LS400 when they shut, nice and solid.  The trunk is the same way.  For a convertible with coil overs, PHB and TA (everyone said was noisy) I don’t hear a thing.  Wait, let me back up after all the exhaust and rear PHB and TA were done there were some noise issues to deal with.  The exhaust and the suspension could not work well together and required the tail pipes to be ditched except the tips for some custom bent pipes to clear the rear end, frame and PHB mounts.  Not to forget massaging the joints to clear the TA bracket up front.  So after that, everything was great.  The car handles like a high end European and trust me I have driven more than my share of them, all of the Porsche line except the GT (I did ride in it though), BMW’s, Audi etc.  The extra oil capacity coupled with the new radiator keep the engine temps  nice and cool even in the Texas, August heat with the A/c on and me driving it rather spiritedly.  I got to enjoy the car for all of a few days before it was time to put her back into storage and for me to take my happy ars back to work in Afghanistan.

Tailpipe and PHB fitment
RES01937.jpg

RES01938.jpg

Interior work
RES01927.jpg

While the car sat in storage and I was busy at work and I put my next stage of modifications into motion.  I ordered up a D&D Viper spec T56 6 speed with a QuickTime steel bell housing, and a Zoom twin disc clutch kit.  Of course the 6spd kit came with all the hardware (sort of), new drive shaft (hence the FRPP one came out after being in for less than 200 miles).  While I was going to be under the car and doing the trans we made the necessary modifications to the rear end.  I ordered up the FRPP parts and we waited for me to come home again. 

Second stage mods read like this.
• Viper spec T56 and conversion kit (note: kit came with wrong fork, pivot ball and no harness for the reverse lock out.  It took several days of overnight deliveries and phone calls from Afghanistan to get the problems sorted out all the while the car tied up a rack with no transmission)
• Zoom Twin disc clutch kit
• Pro 5.0 shifter
• Quick Time bell housing
• FRPP 31 spline axles
• FRPP/Auborn pro differential
• FRPP 3.27 gears (future calls for a turbo)
• FRPP rear end girdle
• ARP wheel studs f/r
• Royal Purple fluids
• Adjustable cable, firewall adjuster and quadrant
• Shortened D&D aluminum drive shaft

Before going in
Keith-1.jpg

Ran into a few issues this install, but fewer than expected once the transmission was in.  I drove the car to the muffler shop down the street to have the Bassani X pipe modified, it wouldn’t clear the transmission.  While driving the car felt extremely bouncy and lacked suspension travel.  It was late Friday, raining like cats and dogs and probably the first time the car has ever seen water short of a water hose.  I got the car back on the lift and noticed the PHB bracket had bound up on the rear end girdle.  The PHB and girdle had the body stuck in the downward stroke of the travel.  With the car in the air we were able to let the rear end down and we had to repeat a: grind the girdle, spray with black paint to check for marks, lower the car, bounce on the back end to simulate road conditions and suspension travel, raise the car, grind more where we saw scratch marks in the paint……repeat until full travel gained back.  It took us repeating that process a dozen times but it took care of the problem.  Full suspension travel returned, the car rode like it had last R&R except this time I had a more solid plant in the rear due to the Auborn and 6 gears to row thru.  The Zoom clutch felt like a King Cobra clutch kit and had I not better I would have sworn it was.  I cannot say enough about how streetable this clutch is.  The transmission shifts like a dream, reverse was a little tricky as the reverse lock out solenoid is still on the transmission but I love the gear ratios combined with the 3.27s out back.  70mph down the road and in 6th gear the RPMs are only 1700.  I find myself debating on shifting into 6th until after we hit 80mph.  Transmission is super quite, smooth and shifts like the original.  Of course it and the rear end are loaded with Royal Purple’s fluids.

Stage three of the progress has been met with a setback but only because of my procrastination, I waited too late to contract the engine build.  The good thing about not having the new motor in the driveway for an install, just meant that I got to drive the car for 2 weeks while I was home.  Taking it out only on nice Texas days with the top down, the girlfriend and I still managed to put 200 miles on her.   As a matter of fact the top stayed down the entire time it was out of storage.  I was very pleased so far with the mods done and made every excuse to drive it and I hate to park the Cobra in any parking lot unless I take up a few spots way in the back. 

• Back to the motor, I am currently having Brian at AD Performance build a
• Dart 347ci, 4.125 bored
• AFR 185s heads
• ARP head studs
• Cometic head gaaskets
• Comp Cams titanium retainers
• Comp Pro Magnum rockers
• Smith Bros custom push rods
• Cross bar Comp Cam lifters
• Ed Curtis custom grind camshaft and a set of his valve springs
• Billet timing chain
• The final compression ratio came out to a boost friendly 8.8:1

Only block pic I got, more to follow
Dartblockparts2.jpg

And some heads
AFR185.jpg

I am patiently waiting till August for next R&R and the install.

Since I don’t want to cannibalize my factory Cobra low mileage motor, I went to the Corral EE and Ebay for some used parts to take the original’s spot.  I found a Cobra upper and lower used and sent them off to TMOSS for some of his magic.  I bought a used timing chain cover, okay I bought two of them.  While searching I found some accessory brackets and some other odds and ends on EBAY.  I took all my spare items to my powder coater and had him make them look new again.  The upper and lower, 1 timing chain cover, a set of steel valve covers (all though they may not clear the rockers), and a few other items were coated in a thermal barrier.  Now it’s time to send the lower and chain cover to AD Performance to have them installed also.  I need to see if the valve covers are going to clear too.  If they don’t I may put them up on the EE and bite the bullet on the Moroso fabricated aluminum ones.

Stack of parts from the coater
SNC11460.jpg

Close up of the upper
SNC11461.jpg

It is going to be hard not to use these, they look so good
SNC11464.jpg

I also picked up a like new Anderson PMS for the 94-95 complete with MAP, software and data log.  I can’t wait to start tuning with it once it is installed.  I also bought a junk Acer laptop and had to do some work but got it up to speed to handle the software.
PMS
pms1.jpg

A little software
PMSsoftware.jpg

For the future mod’s and if I can muster the money I will be doing them at the time of the engine install.
Complete Aeromotive fuel system and sumped tank without their fittings and hose.  I am going to use all Earls Ano-Tuff fittings and the Pro-Lite 350 hose for an all black look.  That and it is just hard to beat Earls’ quality and ease of assembly.  Of course there will be some tasteful Autometer gauges for boost, fuel pressure, and good air fuel ratio gauge the usual T/B, injectors, MAF, pulleys, etc to round everything out.  Then hopefull off to see Brooks, or TurboStang for his turbo system fabrication skills.

The end goal of the car is to be a streetable 650bhp, 6spd transmission, MM suspension’d, stock appearing, fun car to drive around.  I am thinking of trying to get into the King Of The Street competition but I know that even with 650 I might be coming up short.  I guess we may have to turn up the boost.

Now, I need to settle on some wheels.  I am leaning towards some Fiske FM10s in 18x9 and 18x10.5 or some plain Jane Cobra’s and having the rear’s widened.  Wheels are last on my list.

Anyways thanks for looking.  I put in as many pics as I could find of the progress.   I will update in August when the next round of work begins.  Look for the engine to be swapped and some tune work on the PMS to offset cam specs.  I would like to have the little odds and ends done and the fuel system completed also.  I only have a few weeks you know and the girlfriend is going to demand some of my time.

Had to put a smiley in once:lol:

OP
OP
A

AfghaniBob

Reaction score
Re: afghanibob's 1995 Cobra build up........turbo near future

I typed my first post up a month or so ago and there have been some updates, if all goes as planned in the next two weeks I should be ordering all the remainder of the parts to finish the car, short of the turbo system.

Here is a run down of what is getting done at the same time as the engine swap.
Aeromotive Fuel system:
  • Sumped tank.....shut off valve 100mi filter.....Eliminator pump.....10mi filter.....-10an to the Y block.....dual -8an to the rear of the rails.....dual -8an out the front to the regulator.....-8an single return to the tank.
  • Pump will be run by the fuel speed controller.
  • All components are the anodized BLACK, I am using the marine regultor (only way to get it BLACk without anodizing myself)
  • Fuel rails will actually be TrickFlow parts but they are made by Aeromotive anyways (only way to get them in BLACK)
  • Earl's ProLite 350 black hoses
  • Earl's AnoTuff black hose ends and adapters.
  • I am gong to use the UPR small cap distributor conversion kit in hopes that the rails will clear.
  • We are using the Moroso fabbed for 94-95 valve covers and welding -12an bungs for crank venalation. Once again using all ProLite hose and AnoTuff fittings will be dual lines (one of each cover) to a Moroso breather canister. The canister will be cut down and welded back together to make it shorter once we find a place to mount it. Once the welding on the V/Cs are done they will be coated just like the other parts in the first post, thermal ceramic.
  • I am swapping out the canton T sump pan for the Moroso deep rear pan, anticipating clearance issues with the down pipe and having the return bung welded before installing the pan.
  • Installing a UEGO 2000
  • BBK unequal length shories (chrome, they will get cut up eventually and used as the turbo headers)
  • BBK 75mm T/B
  • Wazee idler, tensioner, and power steering pulley
  • Lastly all ARP stainless bolts and an assortment of Fel-Pro & FRPP gaskets

I am just holding out till the end of the month for the parts purchasing. The long block from AD Performance should be shipping any day. I am expecting it all to arrive just as I do. The trick will be pulling off this large of an install to include the PMS and tuning in 12 days. I have planned and planned and I am bracing myself for issues to come up as we go but I will have to solve them one at a time.

Thanks for looking. I hope to upload pics as we go and keep the thread updated.

Suggestions are welcome

JonBeast

Legend
Reaction score

NICE build so far...

I put some dynamat in my car recently also...did yours have a tar smell? Mine does...I'm hoping it goes away...

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score

Dang..

Good stuff

CruizinKev

Reaction score

yeeehaaaaw niiiiice man! keep it comin :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

OP
OP
A

AfghaniBob

Reaction score

JonBeast said:
NICE build so far...

I put some dynamat in my car recently also...did yours have a tar smell? Mine does...I'm hoping it goes away...

No tar smell at all, leave the top down for awhile.

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score

Nice build, keep us up to date.

94IVGT

Reaction score

sweet build man. looks alot like my shortblock.

JonBeast

Legend
Reaction score

AfghaniBob said:
JonBeast said:
NICE build so far...

Yea the smell has faded...I think its because its been SO hot here that the sticky stuff kept heating up and getting loose and giving off fumes...I put some air freshners in my car and put the windows down a lot and its been better.

Suspect

Reaction score

i want that tranny!!! :thumb: good stuff keep us updated!!

OP
OP
A

AfghaniBob

Reaction score

Call up D&D and the Tranny, Zoom Twin Disc and flywheel, clutch cable and adjuster, fork, shifter, driveshaft, etc. were about $5,000 and still had to source out some parts to complete it.

Updates, Ordered:
Electric Evap pump and Racetronix wiring harness
Battery relocation kit
Canton oil filter relocation kit and Earl's AnoTuff fittings and hoses
Canton expansion/fill coolant tank
Moroso breather canisters (X2)(1 for each V/C one will be open the other tied into the Evap pump)
All the Earls -12an fittings and hose to plumb the evap system
All the FelPro gaskets to complete the long block
All ARP bolts to complete the long block
and some other odds and ends
Found a smoking deal and purchased TF Black fuel rails (made by Aeromotive)
Found a smoking deal and purchased a BBK 70mm t/b
Ebay find, Aeromotive Marine use regulator (same as the 13101 but all BLACK)
Ebay find, Aeromotive Fuel Speed Controller
Ebay find, Aeromotive Fuel sumped tank

More updates once I get back Stateside and can actually work on this thing. Praying that the motor is there in time :coolsmiley:

STR33TR

Reaction score

JonBeast said:
AfghaniBob said:
JonBeast said:
NICE build so far...

Yea the smell has faded...I think its because its been SO hot here that the sticky stuff kept heating up and getting loose and giving off fumes...I put some air freshners in my car and put the windows down a lot and its been better.

Dynamat make a big difference? How hard was it to get the interior back in on top of it?

JonBeast

Legend
Reaction score

It made a nice difference in road noise...I still haven't done my floor pan yet so it will only get better.

I did my door panels, trunk and under the back seat...and its nice.

I don't have subs or anything to notice the increase in bass...but the road noise is def lower.

96 blue moon

Reaction score

Looks great and a nice build. Keep us posted. :thumb:

Reaction score

Good job on the build. I am redoing a 95 mustang gt and turning it into a cobra. Put the termie motor in it along with the viper t56 tranny. I am also going to dynamat everything. Well good luck with it and keep the info coming.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score

Cool build with a very high budget and a nice car to start with.

So what are you doing in Afghanistan? Contracting? Private security?

OP
OP
A

AfghaniBob

Reaction score

Paul said:
Cool build with a very high budget and a nice car to start with.

So what are you doing in Afghanistan? Contracting? Private security?

Yes a high budget and am shooting to have it done by Jan '09, I would like to do King of the Street. It kind of got out of hand but there is no stopping now.

I have enjoyed watching your build on turboforums. You do some great work. You have inspired me to do the powder coating (even though I paid to have mine done). Do you have a build thread of your SN95 anywhere? I am speculating that my motor will not arrive in time for me to install it so my trip home in August is likely going to be a plumbing and wiring expedition. I trying to get rid of all the crap inside the engine bay and move it out to the fenders, to include the a/c lines and p/s also. I have some extra lines that I have purchased on eBay and I am going to use them as donors for the hydraulic line builders to start with. So watch for those projects to come up on here.

Contracting? Yes. Private Security? Yes, sort of. I do site security assessments for the DOD, basically measure their level of force protection against the possible threat intel. I am responsible for the south and eastern camps. The assessments are required prior to my employer allowing its employees to work or reside at each site.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score

AfghaniBob said:
Yes a high budget and am shooting to have it done by Jan '09, I would like to do King of the Street. It kind of got out of hand but there is no stopping now.

Cool. The KOTS competition has always intrigued me a bit since I like building real streetcars with A/C and all the creature comforts. I've thought of doing one someday based on a 445 or 460 ci World SBF with an 88mm turbo. I think it would be super neato.

I have enjoyed watching your build on turboforums. You do some great work. You have inspired me to do the powder coating (even though I paid to have mine done). Do you have a build thread of your SN95 anywhere? I am speculating that my motor will not arrive in time for me to install it so my trip home in August is likely going to be a plumbing and wiring expedition. I trying to get rid of all the crap inside the engine bay and move it out to the fenders, to include the a/c lines and p/s also. I have some extra lines that I have purchased on eBay and I am going to use them as donors for the hydraulic line builders to start with. So watch for those projects to come up on here.

Thanks for the compliments. I have more time than you, but less money. If you'd like anything powdercoated, let me know and I'll take care of you.

There was never really a build thread for my SN95 convertible since the majority of the build took place a few years ago and problems and frustration have prevented me from really focusing on it as of late. If you've got some donor lines that you can use to build new ones, a competent A/C shop shouldn't have much trouble fabbing up some long lines to travel whatever path you choose.

Contracting? Yes. Private Security? Yes, sort of. I do site security assessments for the DOD, basically measure their level of force protection against the possible threat intel. I am responsible for the south and eastern camps. The assessments are required prior to my employer allowing its employees to work or reside at each site.

Sounds like an interesting job. How does one get into that line of work? I'm assuming you're former or current military?

I only met one "Bob" ever than spent much time in Afghanistan. Though I'll never be sure, I always assumed him to be an operator of sorts. I believe he hunted bomb makers. I also don't believe Bob was his real name. Nice guy though. Sorry to whore your thread.

The car will be fantastic when it's done. If there's anything I can do to help, or any questions I can answer, let me know. :)

Paul.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score

Damn, thats a bad ass ride man.

I wish I had the cash to put a 6 speed in mine

rick focks

Post Whore
Reaction score

oh wow! this thing is going to be world class!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online

No members online now.