The end of an all original '95 Cobra

maillemaker

Reaction score
What an absolutely beautiful car, my same year color and interior. And IMO also the best looking of the SN95 Cobras with the unique rear taillights and very unique rear wing. Alas, like you, I can't leave a 250HP car the way it came from the factory. The problem is the farther you go up the HP ladder, the more you pretty much need to change everything else in the car.
Yeah, that is the conclusion I came to also. And since my Mustang is a daily driver that hardly ever sees over 3500 RPM, it just didn't make sense. An HCI swap is going to cost you $3000 easy these days. My car has low oil pressure and so needs a bottom end also. Another $2000. Add a supercharger and that's another $4500. So before long you're looking at putting $10K into a car not worth $10K, and at the end of the day it's still a 30-year-old car.

OP
OP
T

Tac1

Reaction score
Awesome!! Congrats on the car, cant wait to see what you do to it!

If you haven't already. Join Fords Mustang Registry & you'll get a 10% discount code to pickup your SVT certificate.
I already have the SVT certificate, came with the car. But good to know still

OP
OP
T

Tac1

Reaction score
Yeah I get not wanting to pick up someone else's project which is why I bought a stock 95 myself.

Just a shame to see such a pristine example get modified. Finding stock ones is hard.
Yeah I didn't want a GT, for the little upgrade price to get into a Cobra why not have the better suspension, brakes, engine bits, etc. You spend more upgrading a GT with GT40 parts that you should've just bought the Cobra from the start.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yeah I didn't want a GT, for the little upgrade price to get into a Cobra why not have the better suspension, brakes, engine bits, etc. You spend more upgrading a GT with GT40 parts that you should've just bought the Cobra from the start.
From a build standpoint and a financial standpoint you made the right decision . You’re not wasting money and time fixing previous work etc . As you mentioned you got the better brakes and gt40 top end for a bit more power . That was the biggest thing when buying my car was making sure piss poor work and wiring wasn’t tampered with . These cars being 30 years old it’s hard not to find one that’s been all hacked up .

OP
OP
T

Tac1

Reaction score
From a build standpoint and a financial standpoint you made the right decision . You’re not wasting money and time fixing previous work etc . As you mentioned you got the better brakes and gt40 top end for a bit more power . That was the biggest thing when buying my car was making sure piss poor work and wiring wasn’t tampered with . These cars being 30 years old it’s hard not to find one that’s been all hacked up .
Exactly! I don't want to start fixing someone else's project car just to get it back to looking decent, it takes far less money and time to just start out with a quality piece. I mean I'm doing upgrades that will only make the car stand out more. Wheels are easily taken off, a slightly lowered stance with new suspension. Who wants a pony car that looks like it can go off roading

OP
OP
T

Tac1

Reaction score
Got a quick break in the weather here in Western NY and threw on SLP cat back. It went on simple, every bolt on this car looks like it's only 6mo old on how clean it is. The SLP system was very very easy to line up and get straight. The new 315 rear tires on 10" wheels should clear easily as well.
1000009998.jpg

OP
OP
T

Tac1

Reaction score
Well, the SLP is on, called it quits after just the cat back and I'll wait till Spring to do the headers and H Pipe, but not much more sound with all 4 cat's still on the car. She's def choked up but that'll change in a few weeks.

Slice

Reaction score
I bought my 1996 GT with all the cats deleted. There is no annual smog check up here in Canada and for some reason the car does not stink at all. It sure does sound great though!

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
I bought my 1996 GT with all the cats deleted. There is no annual smog check up here in Canada and for some reason the car does not stink at all. It sure does sound great though!

It’s nice having no inspections in Canada anymore .

CobraRGuy

Reaction score
I second the idea of replacing the stock rubber front brake hoses. The stock rubber ones are not allowed by some track organizations because they tend to fail. Goodridge makes nice ones.

OP
OP
T

Tac1

Reaction score
Wow, I forgot what these cars look like when no one touches them, and they are clean. Very cool car.
Thanks, it's not gonna get too messed with. New full suspension, slightly lower stance and nice wheels.

I'll look into going full stainless braided brake lines as well.

RossA81

Reaction score
Great looking car. I definitely remember seeing it on cars and bids. Did you drive it home or ship it?

Ross

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I forgot to mention I already have a Steeda Tri-ax shifter waiting to go in as well. I'll inspect the fan connectors as well. I was thinking of upgrading the brake lines to stainless steel as well. Does anyone make a kit or would I have to make up my own?
LMR.com has braided line kits. Perfect fit; all the hardware you may /may not need. Did mine F/R and noticed an improvement .I also like the peace of mind vs rubber.

OP
OP
T

Tac1

Reaction score
When I bought the car last fall both window motors were living on a prayer. Got both fixed up, the drivers for was already replaced one and got a new motor from LMR and works great. The original unit on the passenger side I took apart, cleaned out all the sheered off plastic teeth inside the housing, used metal bolts to keep the motor from spinning the housing. Assembled the motor housing back together, installed and works just like new as well! This weekend I'll drop in the Steeda Tri Ax shifter, with copper shift cup and maybe start replacing the rest of the factory exhaust. Got BBK shorty headers and off road h pipe going on soon. Then after that I'll do the full suspension and 3.73 gears.

she's coming along
1000010655.jpg1000010656.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online

No members online now.