Aftermarket radio

Shanasman95

Reaction score
Can't seem to find what I need at Walmart. What brand and where did you get your aftermarket radio install kit and worrying harness? Also, I have a connector begone the radio that has some loose wires that I can't describe. I will post a picture up later.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I use to say best buy but the way they have been staffing their areas lately they are hit or miss. Try there or a local car audio shop. Or if you get us a pic of the harnesses you have to be sure we can recommend an online retailer.

Witzy0070

Reaction score
Crutchfield.com has decent receivers that come with install and instruction kits.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Crutchfield.com has decent receivers that come with install and instruction kits.

+1 for Crutchfield. I am a long-time customer there (though starting to get tired of their higher prices). You can identify all the stuff you will need through the Crutchfield website and then buy them elsewhere (like Amazon). While I usually like to support the vendors that put the time into the tech to make my life easier, I am *really* starting to get over the higher prices of Crutchfield :(

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Amazon is a great option. I got one for my daily from there with the install kit and harness for $40 shipped.

The one in the mustang was from Best Buy and a lot more pricey. Also didn't include the install kit to fit nice and snug.

lutter94

Reaction score
If I have to buy a head unit, I'll still support Crutchfield. They give the wiring harness adapter for free and the install instructions too. However I bought only a wiring harness on amazon prime for $6 (free 2 day shipped), Crutchfield wanted $18 shipped for the same thing. Do you have a mach stereo or basic? I'm switching mine to bypass the factory amps. See the pics below.

Metra 70-1770 (Bypass the amps)
met-701770.jpg

Metra 70-5510 (Uses factory amps)
met-705510.jpg

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If I have to buy a head unit, I'll still support Crutchfield. They give the wiring harness adapter for free and the install instructions too.

I used to be like that - it changed for me when I bought the head unit for my STI. Crutchfield had it listed for like $430. On Amazon, I was able to get to the head unit ($350), harness wire adapter thing ($8), and installation face/kit ($12) for $370, ~$60 dollars cheaper. With that, I *still* almost bought it from Crutchfield because that's what I've always done. Until finally I realized I was about to spend ~$60 on literally nothing. Bought from Amazon. That broke the seal for me. Since then, I've always price matched between Crutchfield and Amazon (whereas I used to head straight to Crutchfield and bought it there without even looking anywhere else). Even now, the head unit I bought is listed on Cruthfield for $400. Their free stuff doesn't make up the $30 difference. I feel like they are still living in the catalog days (Crutchfield's heyday, I am sure) and aren't taking places like Amazon seriously as price competition. I started with Crutchfield when they were a catalog and there were no interwebs (thus my long-standing loyalty). However, "kids" these days don't care (they don't even know what ordering from a catalog is like). They just want it cheaper (and who doesn't?). Crutchfield will slowly lose it's loyal catalog fan base and all of a sudden discover people aren't buying from them anymore. All the extra support they offered wasn't available back then, but now there is youtube, blogs, forums, etc. It's not as much of a selling point anymore.

Whatever, rant over. Sorry. Crutchfield makes me mad cause I like them but they just cost too much these days.

lutter94

Reaction score
I definitely agree. But they need to mark up some stuff since they put research into their business. I only bought a $150 Kenwood, so I wouldn't have saved a whole lot other places....

riored4v

Reaction score
I use Crutchfield a bit to see what fits but usually always order through Sonic Electronix or similar sites. Sonic usually does free shipping and will also include the harness and whatever other items you'll need for the head units.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
+5 for Crutchfield. doesn't hurt to shop around.

Sinned83

Reaction score
I love crutchfield can't beat getting dash kits and harness dirt cheap and free 2 day shipping

lutter94

Reaction score
So now that I've bypassed the factory amp, the sound is sooo much better, and louder. I can actually make bluetooth calls now, its completely ridiculous.....Should have done this years ago......

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if your still using the tweeters, or if you want to use the tweeters you can just get a 1000 microfarad capacitor and wire it up inline to the tweeter off of the woofer with out much of a problem. The cap will take the bass out of the tweeter and allow it to play the higher freqs better.

There is a big difference between crutchfield, and authorized seller to sonic and all the others that are not. If/when you have a problem and if you didn't go through an authorized dealer you could be high/dry even if its with in a warranty period for the manf. Most people don't keep the car or the deck long enough for it to matter but if its something you are going to be using for a while it might be worth the extra $50/what ever the authorized dealers charge for the warranty.

now the harnesses and crap have always been a rip off. Back when I first started installing best buy was paying an ave of $2 per harness and I think $4-5 per kit and they got $10-20+ sometimes for bigger kits. The corp office tracked our harness sales conversion rate and would get mad if it was too low.

jun10r

Reaction score
I am trying to decide if I should just replace everything including the factory amps? I figure they are 21 years old now surely I can get a nice system even though mine is my a Mach 460.

Sorry did not want to hijack your thread. Mine is a Pioneer but I am not real happy with the sound compared to my wife's new Durango.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you will be better off just bypassing the amps. Over the past 5-10 yrs I have seen them do little but stay on and drain your battery. Go ahead and start your own post its easier to keep things straight and someone else might have the same questions you do.

Witzy0070

Reaction score
The factory amps are literally just dead weight. You can get a decent 4 channel amp for seriously under 150 bucks now a days.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chasingomas

Members online