Aluminum Intake manifold cleaning

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
This winter I'm going to be setting up a breather catch can on my setup due to getting some blow by. I'll be ripping the passenger valve cover off to have some bung work done for the AN fittings, and while I have this apart I need to get my Edelbrock Vic Jr manifold cleaned up. I have done some research on what guys recommend doing, but just looking to see if anybody on here has ever had their aluminum manifold cleaned up? Powder coated? Jet Hot? Sand blasted? Painted/cleared? I read mixed things on just about every option out there...

Thanks in advance

joekd

Reaction score
I know it's not a mustang but on my Charger I sanded the top surface to smooth it then had it powder coated sparkle silver

Before and after

20140412_123202.jpg

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
I know it's not a mustang but on my Charger I sanded the top surface to smooth it then had it powder coated sparkle silver

Before and after

20140412_123202.jpg

That looks great. Now how is powder coat supposed to hold up to heat?

joekd

Reaction score
Powdercoat holds up worlds better then paint, the actual PC process involves baking the part in an over at 350-400 degrees so yeah, an intake will be fine

I ended up going with the chrome fuel rails, didn't like the way the red looked once installed so I swapped them

Someday I will figure out how to get a pic that shows the sparkle in the sun but this gives you a good idea

underhood27.jpg

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Powdercoat holds up worlds better then paint, the actual PC process involves baking the part in an over at 350-400 degrees so yeah, an intake will be fine

I ended up going with the chrome fuel rails, didn't like the way the red looked once installed so I swapped them

Someday I will figure out how to get a pic that shows the sparkle in the sun but this gives you a good idea

underhood27.jpg

That looks great man. So far I'm leaning towards a bead/sand blast to get it all cleaned up, and than having it powder coated. Thanks again!

powder is also better for spills, it should be powdered already.

Thats a good point. Edelbrock's don't come powder coated, unfortunately. Just a dull aluminum cast finish

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online