And the Ignition problem still isnt fixed...... FML

94svtturbo

Reaction score
The car will spit and sputter and sometimes die. But then it will go back to normal and I can drive it a few more block or miles and it will do it again. There is no consistency to the problem at all. Occasionally it wont do it at all on a drive and most times it will freak out like that. and now it is happening more and more often. when it dies and I start it back up sometimes it will idle at about 200 RPMs, other times it wont start until i give it some gas and then it is just missing like crazy, and if i give it a little more gas it will somtimes backfire. and then randomly it will go completley fine for a short amount of time then do it all over again. The dizzy/pickup are brand new. Swapped out the coil with a spare one from Justin(thanks again buddy!), and also just swapped out the ICM tonight and the problem is still there. I have swapped out every ignition component but for some reason this hunk of shit just wont run!!!

Any ideas why im loosing spark would be greatly appreciated!!

Car has:
Single turbo
Lightning MAF and injectors
Quarter chip
Stock Ignition system minus MSD coil

mikey94gt

Reaction score
I had a problem with my car, where it would spark scatter and run like crap at higher RPM. Figured out the ignition wires were too close to the wires coming off the dizzy going to the computer, causing EMI interference (radio interference) and scattering the PIP signal to the wind. Maybe that is happening to you?

Hopefully your running copper core spark plugs, like the Autolite 25's or champion copper plus. these cars absolutely do NOT like any fancy spark plugs. they have to have the spiral core spark plug wires too, as those block the EMI or radio interference that could disrupt the computer signals to and from the engine.

OP
OP

94svtturbo

Reaction score
Im running TR6 NGKs. The car was running fine til this all the sudden happened once and is now getting more frequent. And i havent changed anything during the time it went from normal to this so i dont imagine it would be plug wires but i will check that out next time im at the car. Im just out of ideas to check really

toyman

Reaction score
Check engine grounds. Every sensor on the engine is negatively impacted if the grounds are not sound.

Green Hornet

Reaction score
Check engine grounds. Every sensor on the engine is negatively impacted if the grounds are not sound.

exactly what i was goin to say. one bad groound will eff up your day in a hurry.

OP
OP

94svtturbo

Reaction score
I had thought of the ground as well so I grabbed another cable and connected it to the negative cable already attached to the battery and bolted the other end to a bolt for the upper intake. And it didn't change anything. Although I just had a thought, wih the intake being aluminum would it not connect as a good ground?

My volt gauge does seem to "quiver" and twitch quite a bit lately too

toyman

Reaction score
Perhaps it's time to pull codes. I'm assuming it can still be done with the Quarter chip (?)

Mika

Reaction score
This happened to me in a truck, it ended up being a thrust bearing or a broken crankshaft. take your belt off and try to move your harmonic balancer.

5litrarag

Reaction score
What about fuel pump? What size is it? Fresh fuel filter?

OP
OP

94svtturbo

Reaction score
This happened to me in a truck, it ended up being a thrust bearing or a broken crankshaft. take your belt off and try to move your harmonic balancer.

Yeah. That is one thing I really hope its not. And move the harmonic balancer in what way? Turn it? Or try to move it in and out? I don't think its the thrust bearings cuz I just put new piston, rings, and bearings in 1500 miles ago.

OP
OP

94svtturbo

Reaction score
What about fuel pump? What size is it? Fresh fuel filter?

Fuel pump is a walbro 255 lph. I have not replaced the fuel filter recently. But last night I was starting in and letting it run in the driveway while watching my fuel pressure gauge under the hood. I was holding the rpms up to about 1500 and all the sudden as fast as you can snap your fingers the motor just shut down. And the whole time he fuel pressure was at 39 so that can't be it.

Thegreensnail

Reaction score
I might be wrong but the same thing was happening to my buddies car and it his battery, but I'm also thinkin it can be the maf dirty ass hell of just going psycho, mine would heat up and did it all over again, until I popped the hood open and re cleaned the maf and it would run fine but like I said I could be wrong

alex302

Reaction score
I know you said it's not the dizzy buy my did this for weeks until I put a new dizzy. Maybe you got a bad one.

5litrarag

Reaction score
Fuel pump is a walbro 255 lph. I have not replaced the fuel filter recently. But last night I was starting in and letting it run in the driveway while watching my fuel pressure gauge under the hood. I was holding the rpms up to about 1500 and all the sudden as fast as you can snap your fingers the motor just shut down. And the whole time he fuel pressure was at 39 so that can't be it.
Sounds like a bad dizzy then.... I know you said it had new parts in it, but you might try a whole different unit just to be sure.

OP
OP

94svtturbo

Reaction score
Wrote this on another forum last night but didnt have time to post it here til now.

New symptom -

I have 3 ICMs in my possession. 1 is the original one on the car that was in it before this problem started. The 2nd is a used one that a tech a Ford where I work lent me. He says its good and that why he has it to diagnose things with. The 3rd is a brand new one I got tonight.

So last night I had the used one from the tech on the car. Pulled the ECU to make sure the chip was fully seated then took it out for a test drive for about ten min. Seemed all fine. Let it idle in the driveway and after about 15 min the car shut off and had no spark. Wouldn't start at all.2 hours later and it still wouldn't start.4 hours later and it turn-key fired like nothing was wrong.

Tonight I got the brand new one. And put it on. Fired the car up. It idled for about 5 min then shut down. Once again I had no spark. Swapped the original ICM back on immediately and tried to fire it up and still had no spark. And hour later I tried it again before leaving my place and it still had no spark. We will see if it does when I get back.

Bottom line is that its not the ICM IMO cuz all three have been on the car when it had no spark. Any ideas?

And also this morning before I left for work I tried to start it real quick and I'm still gettin nothing.I

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
i have gotten a bad remanned dizzy before.
a bad or going bad coil can give you those issues too. or a loose wire on the coil

OP
OP

94svtturbo

Reaction score
Well the coil isn't gettin signal from the pickup. So now I need to move to the pickup and see why that isn't giving a signal

5litrarag

Reaction score
The dizzy you picked up... is it BRAND new Ford or maybe a reputable manufacturer? Or is it new out the box Remanufactured from XYZ parts?

Because when you say it "shut down" suddenly... that has distributor problem written all over it. A bad dizzy/pickup will cause the entire car to black out like somebody flipped a breaker.
I'd take the dizzy out and take it back where you got it and try an new one before you keep going round and round with PCMs, ground wires and $hit. And frankly, the dizzy is far more common a problem then the other things you are testing now. So do yourself a favor....keep it simple.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online