Anybody hand-port their NPI heads?

OP
OP
Burninrock24

Burninrock24

Reaction score
My car sits in a garage 285 miles away during the winter, then combine that with school and getting a second project car, I kindof got out of the scene for a bit lol. I have been doing a lot of research through society of automotive engineers so maybe some tech threads to come?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Sweet! Tech threads are always good! Glad to see you back.....now lets get started

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Ive posted some tech about npi heads here, so ill just keep jacking this one up.

Ive always know the npi heads deck is thicker than all pi heads by at least .070", but have resently discovered the early '95npi heads deck thickness is ballpark double of that....roughly .150" thicker than pi heads. I know of builders to deck the pi heads .030 and some have claimed .070"(no way I would do that), but us npi guys can remove some serious material to aquire the quinch we so deserve and still have equal deck thickness as an undecked pi head. IIRC .08" deck npi puts the chamber close to that of pi heads along with the development of the quinch pad. So instead of opting for heads that are prone to spit plugs in pursuit for more power consider decking your npi heads or heck...pick up a free set and deck/rebuild them before swapping out.

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is all great info. I bought a junkyard '97 NPI engine a few years ago to use the short block for my '03 (I wanted a cheap bottom end that would bump the compression for my 38cc TFS heads). I put the NPI heads on the shelf because I have read about the NPI porting potential, and wanted to build a nasty NPI based N/A motor to drop in a 96-98 GT sometime in the future. I recently acquired a set of SVO heads and intake, so I think those NPI heads are headed to the scrap heap...there are a couple broken bolts in them and atleast one cam tower is broke and Id really like to put the effort into the SVO stuff rather than the NPI heads...

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
the svo is a solid foundation for hp potential over npi heads from the get go. Lucky you to score a set of svo heads! Now how about shipping me them npiheads :)

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a buddy that's sort of interested in them, but I'm not sure how serious he is. If he ends up not taking them I'll let ya know. I hate sending good parts to the junk yard...

OP
OP
Burninrock24

Burninrock24

Reaction score
WOW! I love this thread lol. Why did this thing die? Did everyone lose interest?

I get busy with college, and winterize my GT in my parents garage from October to now, so I pretty much forget about it since I can hardly even look at the car. Come spring and summer I'll see what I can get going again. Got a new die grinder over the winter though!

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Their is some "behind the scenes" activity developing. Should make for an interesting post!

Regardless of what you may hear about the npi heads, they can still be competitive. Yes, it much easier and cheaper to just swap out to pi heads, but the hotrodders inside of us underdogs cant help to think their are hidden potential within the npi head.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Heres a few pics I had of Renegade Racing ported NPI's. These flowed 230/205 and were as good as VT/Fox Lake and MPH PI heads.
I came close to getting a set of these once but the guy wouldn't budge on his price.

1xkwl.jpg

aoxjkg.jpg

jkdkj8.jpg

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Fox lake always does nice... awesome work. One of the few companies dedicated their name. This ensures quality goes out the door, but man oh man is it expensive. Rest assure the build will be solid though.

IIRC, Back in the hay days of 2v Fox lake pulled off the highest flowing npi intake port. The down fall was a .600" valve lift to achieve 200+cfm. Not a bad thing, but not a good thing either. The npi heads need on average .100" more "low" lift to achieve what a pi head already does. But thats not to say one head is better than the other.

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive always heard that Fox Lake got good flow out of the SVO heads. I have an old set of SVO heads and intake sitting on the shelf and I'd like to have them ported one day...I want to build an N/A NPI 96-98 Mustang down the road...

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
To my understanding and judging by the quarter mile times of one particular racer, svo heads need no porting. Ask any competing coyote guy in the same class, cause their butts are getting handed to them by this particular 2v guy(you probably know the guy) The big question is......how much $$$ would you take for the heads?

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im not sure, I bought them for $300 bare because a couple of the cam bores are spun, so I got them cheap because they need some loving. I bought the intake from Wichers on here a while back for $450 because I was going to buy my buddys '96 Tangerine and wanted to use the heads and intake on it. The deal on the car fell through, so the parts went on the shelf. I bought brand new intake and exhaust valves and valve seals for the heads since the valves are hard to come by, but Im honestly not sure if I want to sell them or not. I don't have anything to put them on at the moment, but I know they are hard to find too, so right now I have them for novelty..lol

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
However, if I do decide to sell that stuff, Ill shoot you a PM first...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdude138

Members online