Anybody running the Hurst shifter on a T-5?

badass98svt

Reaction score
The MGW offers 3 different length handles, and it's the best out there right now. The handle is infinitely adjustable 360 * too.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you! checked it out and am interested. I sent them a couple of questions and will wait to hear back.

joemomma

Reaction score
I've got the Hurst. The shifter is fine, but the handle angle is bad lol. It's too far forward and to the driver. First is really tight to the dash. Ttocs has mentioned a mod where you cut and re-weld the handle after adjustment.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I have the ford racing Hurst short
And like it over my quick silver thats in my mach1

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
how would a longer handle give less throw? It might make 2/4/R closer but 1/3/5 are now further away = more throw as I see it? If you don't want to reach as far just get a handle that is bent towards you more. I was considering some on ebay that allowed you to adjust the angle of the bend for a while and something like that would allow you to tune it to where you want it, or get a new handle with a bigger bend it in, assuming you are happy with the general feel of the shifter you have now

joemomma

Reaction score
I think he means the longer shift arm would move it closer to the driver, not necessarily a shorter throw. A longer arm would make the shift throw longer, but moving it closer to the driver might make it more ergonomic. Modifying my Hurst shift arm is still on my short list once we get moved.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The MGW offers 3 different length handles, and it's the best out there right now. The handle is infinitely adjustable 360 * too.
Badass,
Which version do you have: the short, medium or “comfort” (long) length MGW?

Tillerman77

Reaction score
Badass,
I also have an MGW with a T45 (97 Cobra), not a T5. That said, I started with a medium handle and changed last year to the long "comfort" handle. I prefer the "comfort" handle to reduce some of the stress on my arthritic shoulder.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I also have an MGW with a T45 (97 Cobra), not a T5. That said, I started with a medium handle and changed last year to the long "comfort" handle. I prefer the "comfort" handle to reduce some of the stress on my arthritic shoulder.
Now THERE’S something I can complately relate to! Shoulders. Hands. Fingers. Isn’t gettin’ older great?!!
Huh, Golden Years… my ass! LOL

But seriously, thanks Tillerman for the feedback. Exactly the type I was looking for.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
So, I don’t want to get into a debate over shifters, but I just recently sold my mgw shifter. I missed 2nd with that shifter, almost every time I was at the track. I had the race, standard, and custom hurst handle to mimic the comfort handle. Never missed with a different shifter. Went back to a steeda tri ax and I am much happier.

Now, as far as daily driving with the mgw, the neutral springs are VERY tight. It takes significantly more side force to put the car over in to 5th and reverse. Enough force that it made my right shoulder sore for a few days after installing the shifter.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the hurst I had was solid except if you were to downshift and let off the clutch to slow down going into a turn. It would pop out of 2nd gear every time, 3rd and above was ok.

Notthenow

Reaction score
I have the Hurst on a T45 (it fits both) I got it because I wanted the longer handle, and the angle of that handle. That said, I still mounted it on the opposite side, and made a wedge to get it where I wanted it. It shifts well, but I don't race it, so can't give feedback on hard shifts.

Attachments

• 20180630_161402.jpg
    20180630_161402.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20180630_161909.jpg
    20180630_161909.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 20180630_162419.jpg
    20180630_162419.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 8

tinnocker

Reaction score
I have the Ford/Hurst on my 94' and it is a bit taller than the stock shifter. I like it. Doesn't come close to the dash. It is bent back toward the driver and is tight, no wobbles.

Tillerman77

Reaction score
Now THERE’S something I can complately relate to! Shoulders. Hands. Fingers. Isn’t gettin’ older great?!!
Huh, Golden Years… my ass! LOL

But seriously, thanks Tillerman for the feedback. Exactly the type I was looking for.
You're welcome! Golden years are golden in many respects for me, but include a lot of trips to the chiro or PT plus pain meds to get through the week.

badass98svt

Reaction score
Badass,

I went with the middle handle. I'm 6' tall, and need the seat all the way back. From that position, the middle handle is a great fit. Either way you can always play with whatever handle you order. You can swing it 360* to exactly where you want it. You can also slide the handle up or down to effectively make it shorter or longer too.
Oh yeah, and it shifts like butter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
5pointSL0

Members online