Anyone know what brace this is

BillG

Reaction score
Guys I noticed when I pull into my driveway that I have a wicked drag and have to come in at an angle. I see this brace hanging under the car and was wondering what it was and if it was something the previous owner may have installed. Can’t find any internet pictures of a stock under carriage.

Attachments

• DECCD6EE-966F-4F25-9FBF-4E68D48A6247.jpeg
    DECCD6EE-966F-4F25-9FBF-4E68D48A6247.jpeg
    223.2 KB · Views: 68

lutter94

Reaction score
Where does it go back to on the sides? Someone's homemade attempt at a skid plate or something ? Look up sub frame connector install videos. Might have what you're looking for in the background.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BillG

BillG

Reaction score
Where does it go back to on the sides? Someone's homemade attempt at a skid plate or something ? Look up sub frame connector install videos. Might have what you're looking for in the background.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Haven't had a chance to get under the car and follow it. Had my son take the pictures and text it to me.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
It’s probably scratched up or dented some but it’ll be fine. You have to nail something at speed to ruin those.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
Have no clue what’s under this car spring wise. Only thing I know for sure is previous owner was attempting to make a cobra clone out of it from the looks of things.
I was just curious since you don't seem to have a lot of ground clearance. But as said, it's the X brace that is installed on verts.

OP
OP
BillG

BillG

Reaction score
I was just curious since you don't seem to have a lot of ground clearance. But as said, it's the X brace that is installed on verts.
I really haven’t gotten into the suspension much since I got it home. Started on getting motor back together and running and getting interior spruced up. I hope the previous owner didn’t lower it the wrong way. will know this weekend I guess when I get it up on stands and get the wheels off.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
I really haven’t gotten into the suspension much since I got it home. Started on getting motor back together and running and getting interior spruced up. I hope the previous owner didn’t lower it the wrong way. will know this weekend I guess when I get it up on stands and get the wheels off.
Lack of clearance doesn't mean it was done wrong. I'm on coilovers and I'm low. If I run normal mufflers I have about an inch of clearance.

OP
OP
BillG

BillG

Reaction score
Lack of clearance doesn't mean it was done wrong. I'm on coilovers and I'm low. If I run normal mufflers I have about an inch of clearance.
Thanks for the info. Never knew having a convertible could be so interesting. My buddy had a 95 Camaro that would drag when he came to visit so figured it might be normal.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
lowered cars drag here and there. I know that as I typed that sentence that there is someone on here about to respond that their car is lowered and they never drag - they are full of crap. The only way to get around it is air ride and not many want to pay the price of admission for that ride.

OP
OP
BillG

BillG

Reaction score
lowered cars drag here and there. I know that as I typed that sentence that there is someone on here about to respond that their car is lowered and they never drag - they are full of crap. The only way to get around it is air ride and not many want to pay the price of admission for that ride.
My local mechanic and mustang fan has a convertible with air ride. Love the car. I see myself possible getting this car back to nice condition but I'm sure it will cost more than cars value is worth, BUT you can't put a price on fun but may lean on advice from guys on here willing to advise LOL. From the looks from under the car the previous owner must have back over something that pulled a small piece of the bottom of the radiator support back but didn't damage the support itself. Now the choice is to find some one to patch or dig into the wallet and replace it before I go any further, which I know is gonna hurt and a good paint job isn't cheap in my neck of the woods> Guys thanks for all the info it has been a learning experience I am so far enjoying..

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
With my car originally being owned by my mother I have never planned to sell it. With that being said when you take the idea of the money lost when reselling it suddenly its all good gravy! It hurt to write that check for my air ride but the increase in my smiles per mile has long let me forget about it.

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
After I lowered my car the first time I scraped the brace scared the crap out of me...
Now I plan ahead to avoid bad pavement. The joy of a lowered car.
f9697a16f8376baf64e075ba0bd4dbd4.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BillG

BillG

Reaction score
After I lowered my car the first time I scraped the brace scared the crap out of me...
Now I plan ahead to avoid bad pavement. The joy of a lowered car.
f9697a16f8376baf64e075ba0bd4dbd4.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Man thank you for that picture. Cause I’m pretty sure that’s how mines gonna look. Wondering if a touch taller tie might help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online