Anyone run their 5.0 with S197 3v mufflers?

Doctorj77

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has ever experimented with their 5.0 exhaust by swapping out their factory mufflers with ones from a 2005-2009? I have a 95 GTS with Ford Motorsport shorties, Summit O/R H and stock cat back and it actually sounds pretty good under throttle, but was hoping for a little more note at low speeds. Thinking about running dumps on my car and before I pull the trigger on a MAC or Flowmaster, I thought maybe a used of S197 mufflers might be an cheap alternative to a slightly more aggressive sound.

I used to have a 2006 GT and seem to think the factory mufflers were smaller than SN95 factory mufflers, which 'could' suggest a little less restriction. Might be wrong there, can't recall as its been 10yrs. But was hoping someone might have tried this before and could share their experience or some sound clips.

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I change mufflers frequently. Right now I am running Steve McQueen Bullitt type from Ford racing and they make the best noise on a SN95, it is easy to do just slice off the bent tubes and graft them in, easy. If you have a saw and a MIG welder your there, if not well... I scab them in and try them out, if I like them then I go back and do a good install.

OP
OP
Doctorj77

Doctorj77

Reaction score
I change mufflers frequently. Right now I am running Steve McQueen Bullitt type from Ford racing and they make the best noise on a SN95, it is easy to do just slice off the bent tubes and graft them in, easy. If you have a saw and a MIG welder your there, if not well... I scab them in and try them out, if I like them then I go back and do a good install.

It's interesting you say that cause I was looking at a Bullitt cat back system for $250 for sale locally. But its for a 2001, knowing it wouldn't bolt up to mine. I just thought I could salvage the mufflers, but at that price I could get nib MAC dumps. I looked at some online vids of that SN95 bullitt muffler setup with a O/R H and sounded very nice. Out of curiosity, which bullitt style mufflers are you running? SN95 style or S197?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The birds sound really good in the background. Very peaceful..........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Doctorj77

Doctorj77

Reaction score
Well spur of the moment, I ended up with a used set of MAC dumps from a fox body. They bolted right up and the hangers we're in the right spots. I have to admit, I'm completely sold on how these sound. It's loud, but not as loud as I would have thought. And extremely deep at idle. And best part, only layed out $65 for the set. Will work on getting some video clips uploaded

01yellercobra

Reaction score
My first cat back was a Mac system. I really liked it and got a lot of compliments on it. The only reason I got rid of it was because I came across an awesome deal on Stingers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online