Are B headed Cobras "really" that bad?

voidfinger

Reaction score
yea c heads are cool but b heads flow lots more, just what you want you know... high rpm power or low end grunt? :) grunt = street , rpm = street/strip :)

Svtstrikesback

Reaction score
knuckles4696 said:
if your going to build a 4.6 id definetely get a pre 99 4.6 dohc for the flow, theyre great with any power adders tey flow insane numbers with just light porting, if you want a street car with all the low end grunt you could dream of then go the terminator/ roots style / screw style supercharged with the late model dohc heads. my liking of the b series head style has nothing to do with owning one either, i have always seen them perform well in race applications.just my .02 cents ;D

I wouldn't say definately. 99+ heads are better in practicaly every way, but B heads are SO much cheaper, and the diffrence in better is not nearly as much as some of the people out there would have you believe. The problem, as has been well documented, is the velocity in the 96-98 set-up. Yes, the volume is bigger, but supercharging a B head motor only helps hide the problem, not eliminate it. ANY 96-04 4 valve head will do very well with a supercharger, period.

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
check out bab's car a termy would need 15 or MORE pounds of boost to run with him. The only reason termys are fast is because of the supercharger. the only good thing is they have a built bottom end.

Knuckles@Empire

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
Svtstrikesback said:
knuckles4696 said:
if your going to build a 4.6 id definetely get a pre 99 4.6 dohc for the flow, theyre great with any power adders tey flow insane numbers with just light porting, if you want a street car with all the low end grunt you could dream of then go the terminator/ roots style / screw style supercharged with the late model dohc heads. my liking of the b series head style has nothing to do with owning one either, i have always seen them perform well in race applications.just my .02 cents ;D

I wouldn't say definately. 99+ heads are better in practicaly every way, but B heads are SO much cheaper, and the diffrence in better is not nearly as much as some of the people out there would have you believe. The problem, as has been well documented, is the velocity in the 96-98 set-up. Yes, the volume is bigger, but supercharging a B head motor only helps hide the problem, not eliminate it. ANY 96-04 4 valve head will do very well with a supercharger, period.

for street use i said i would prefer a tumble port head for drag use just as you said the volume is bigger in b-heads which is exactly what you want, the forced induction does not hide any problems it makes it irrelavent at the drag strip, you dont need lots of low end grunt you want horsepower at the top end where your going to be not under 3200 rpm, your right in that they all do very well with any forced induction.

Knuckles@Empire

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
heres the flow numbers found in " how to build max-performance 4.6 liter engines" by Sean Hyland...
SHM.jpg

as you can see the b heads outflow the tumble port 99-01 heads on the top end, the 03-04 cobra heads do outflow it although now by much on the intake side, if you get a chance to read the book it says they have gotten b-heads specifically John Mihovetz's to flow over 300 cfm on intake and 240 cfm on exhaust. while none of us will probably need this kind of cfm it does show that , b heads are good,

voidfinger

Reaction score
true, Now... i will say that i've have two friends that both have cobra's and one has a 98 and the other has a 01. Both have a vortec on them i think they are a s trim and they both are at 9 pounds of boost. They both have the same exaust, brand x midpipe and i think its slp lm2 catsbacks. The rest of their cars are stock and i've seen them both on the dyno. The 98 with right at 100k put down about 15hp to the wheels more than the 01 and the 98 had about 5 more fltb more than the 01 also. The 01 only has like 50k on it too O0

Shawnsvtcobra

Reaction score
Cobrar96 said:
hmm 96-98 Cobras? Teskid Block ( Made by ferrari ), Solid Axel (not that irs crap), B Head (made for maximum flow..loves centrifucal blowers),...oh yeah the nostrils on the hood are sweet.
Boosted b headed cobras can be pretty stout.

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
voidfinger said:
true, Now... i will say that i've have two friends that both have cobra's and one has a 98 and the other has a 01. Both have a vortec on them i think they are a s trim and they both are at 9 pounds of boost. They both have the same exaust, brand x midpipe and i think its slp lm2 catsbacks. The rest of their cars are stock and i've seen them both on the dyno. The 98 with right at 100k put down about 15hp to the wheels more than the 01 and the 98 had about 5 more fltb more than the 01 also. The 01 only has like 50k on it too O0
What did they put down?

voidfinger

Reaction score
quickstang_1994 said:
voidfinger said:
What did they put down?

Ahh, shit i can't remember. Its been like a year or more. I just remember that i was laughen cuz the 98 out did the 01. I couldn't believe it b/c all the crap the c headed dudes were talking. But i remember that the power was like around 15 rwhp more and like 5 ftlb's. Not by much but still it won the dyno battle. :) But in the real world the c headed one would have won, it was a coupe and the 98 was a vert. So my future plans will be a 4v b headed car with a vortec and my trusty 4R70W :banana:

voidfinger

Reaction score
quickstang_1994 said:
a sn95 vert weighs very close to an 01 cobra so it would be a drivers race

O really :) good. So what does a 99 up gt coupe and vert weigh compaired to my 98 gt vert??

voidfinger

Reaction score
knuckles4696 said:
99 gt vert. curb weight:3386 lbs.
99 gt coupe curb weight:3242 lbs.

98 gt vert:3234 lbs.

So my car is lighter than a 99 coupe... :) wow thats nice to know. I just got a line on a mark 8 motor and a little work and it will be cobra fied :) so that should be nice for a 98 GT :banana:

voidfinger

Reaction score
knuckles4696 said:
good luck with the swap :dancing6:

Found out the best thing about it... it has 15 mins of run time and my brother is getting it for free plus shipping since the dude owes him money :) This is awsome.

voidfinger

Reaction score
knuckles4696 said:
wow that is sweet now go find ourself a 96-98 cobra manifold and your set bud :drunk:

Thats what i'm thinking ... i already have the 98 cobra cams... i want to degree them before they go back in though... But yea i would love to find a 96-98 cobra intake with the still functioning IMRC's.... :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online