Are SN-95 clutch pedals adjustable?

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Just curious. Mine doesn’t engage until way up high. Seems to me (IF memory serves!) that previous cars I’ve had that were manual transmission, the clutch engaged closer to the floor, not way up high in the stroke.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Just curious. Mine doesn’t engage until way up high. Seems to me (IF memory serves!) that previous cars I’ve had that were manual transmission, the clutch engaged closer to the floor, not way up high in the stroke.
The stock pedal does have an adjuster. It’s a plastic, toothed piece called a quadrant. Typically you can pull up on the pedal and it’ll adjust higher. I’m not entirely sure how to adjust it back down though. This is only for the stock cable/quadrant setup.

Aftermarket stuff has an aluminum quadrant and a firewall adjuster.

95opal

Reaction score
Pull up on clutch pedal till its topped out then depress to floor. You should hear the teeth on the quadrant clicking while pressing down on the clutch. Thats it. If your quadrant is original it may have worn teeth or a few borken ones in which case it will not adjust.

Flade

Reaction score
The adjuster on the stock quadrant is there to compensate for wear in the clutch And raises it a bit, nothing more. You can hold the latch open and pull it up more, but you can’t really lower it. If you want an adjustable one get the maximum Motorsport one. It’s build using original Ford cables. Testing has shown all the after market cables are far inferior to the Ford cables.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
ThNk you, everyone, for the replies. I’ll see what I can do to get it where I want it!

JoeR40065

Reaction score
Save your self headache and avoid aftermarket adjusters from my experience yeah it's nice to set it where you like it to engage. Personally thankful I lost my transmission this past week as I'm going back to factory quadrant and pawl

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
No way I would say stay with a stock quadrant. Kick that clutch pedal a couple good times and it’ll break.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ok. Well I can see there’s 2 schools of thought here. I appreciate everyone’s input and information.
Thanks!
Daryl

sluggish94

Reaction score
The aftermarket offers two products to adjust the clutch engagement point relative to your preferred pedal position: adjustable clutch cables & firewall adjusters.

So you have two choices to get that pedal closer to the floor :

1.) Get an adjustable clutch cable. You can keep your plastic clutch quadrant and you wont have to buy a firewall adjuster. The downside is that you'd have to jack your car up to make an adjustment, which makes dialing in the engagement point a real headache. Just imagine: jacking car, adjusting, then off jacks, driving & testing, cool down if its not right because exhaust is right by trans, and doing that every time, until it's right where you want it. Which leads to the next option which is...

2.) Get a firewall adjuster. You'd need to replace your plastic clutch quadrant with an aluminum clutch quadrant, but you can make adjustments by simply popping the hood and turning a knob. The downside is the aluminum clutch quadrant installation. The installation of the piece itself isn't difficult but access is extremely limited so plan on removing the driver's seat because that sucker is deep under the dash.

If it were my car I'd go with the second option. Both my Mustangs are set-up with the aluminum clutch quadrant, aluminum firewall adjuster and Maximum Motorsports clutch cable. Night & day over stock.

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
firewall adjuster and stock ford cable is the way to go. Adjust it and forget about it.

JoeR40065

Reaction score
The aftermarket offers two products to adjust the clutch engagement point relative to your preferred pedal position: adjustable clutch cables & firewall adjusters.

So you have two choices to get that pedal closer to the floor :

1.) Get an adjustable clutch cable. You can keep your plastic clutch quadrant and you wont have to buy a firewall adjuster. The downside is that you'd have to jack your car up to make an adjustment, which makes dialing in the engagement point a real headache. Just imagine: jacking car, adjusting, then off jacks, driving & testing, cool down if its not right because exhaust is right by trans, and doing that every time, until it's right where you want it. Which leads to the next option which is...

2.) Get a firewall adjuster. You'd need to replace your plastic clutch quadrant with an aluminum clutch quadrant, but you can make adjustments by simply popping the hood and turning a knob. The downside is the aluminum clutch quadrant installation. The installation of the piece itself isn't difficult but access is extremely limited so plan on removing the driver's seat because that sucker is deep under the dash.

If it were my car I'd go with the second option. Both my Mustangs are set-up with the aluminum clutch quadrant, aluminum firewall adjuster and Maximum Motorsports clutch cable. Night & day over stock.

Well put, i originally purchased my 98 with a firewall adjuster and no quadrant, this led me to believe that the clutch itself was out because the factory pawl kept adjusting and I would lose it. Since I had not dealt with these things yet I truly didn't understand what was going on so I replaced the clutch, not until I had joined this forum and began researching did I truly figure it out. So I ordered a double hook quadrant and removed the factory setup, which would have worked if I only removed the pawl and self adjuster which I wondered about. (later out of curiosity I tried this to escape significant others chores), also been using this trick with working on the car for about 3 months.
I personally have reinstalled the factory quadrant, adjuster and pawl gear so honestly if someone would like i have a firewall adjuster I'd give you Daryl to try it just send me a message to 502 377 one nine six seven or email me [email protected]

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Think I’ll just “bond” with my clutch the way it is! All this +/- about ways to go with it is more than I want to deal with! Thanks everyone for all the input. Appreciate you all!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UnknownArmy

Members online

No members online now.