atlanticblue98's Build Thread

atlanticblue98

Reaction score
alright, im starting my build thread.

My 4R70W is taking a crap on me, it slips in 3rd and Overdrive. So a T-5 swap is on it's way. ive grown attached to my car even though it is a lowly V6. i believe a 5-speed will really bring life into this thing.

but unfortunately i have something to address before the T-5 goes in.
My Exhaust.

currently i have a Mach 1 take-off exhaust with Magnaflow mufflers welded in. the stock Y-pipe was cut and the Catback was welded to the true-dual midpipe.

of course it was welded directly to the midpipe without flanges, so removing my transmission is impossible unless i dropped the axle.
not fun or practical.

adding to the welded/flange dilemma, a few months ago, i spun out in the rain and bent my passenger side exhaust, causing the tail pipe to rub against the tire and the muffler to hit the underrside of the body.

so to kill tow birds with one stone, i purchased a stock catback from a 2000 GT today. i will be ordering a Mac Off Road H-pipe to bolt it to. i may keep the factory mufflers, swap my magnaflows to the new GT catback, or invest in some Flowmaster 40 series to be welded in to the catback.

either way i will have flanges placed behind the mufflers and before the axle so that i can remove the tailpipe to run dumps whenever i want (at Autocrosses to save weight lol)

so far all i picked up for the 5-speed swap is a stock 98 V6 t-5 shifter and boot. i have some connections to get the rest once i have my exhaust installed. i will be getting also tune from Justin Starkey at VMPtuning in Debary FL.

onto the pics:

stock 2000 GT catback:
IMG_1113smaller.jpg

pretty dirty:
IMG_1110smaller.jpg

cleaned up with a little steel cleaner, i will take some steel wool to it tomorrow for the best shine.
IMG_1111smaller.jpg

pretty big difference for just a little elbow grease and an old sock:
IMG_1114smaller.jpg

first and only part of the t-5 swap so far :(
DSC00749smaller.jpg

DSC00750smaller.jpg

hopefully i can get more progress done soon

Petek

Reaction score
interesting, what are your long term goals for the stang?

OP
OP
atlanticblue98

atlanticblue98

Reaction score
Pete k said:
interesting, what are your long term goals for the stang?

alot of things, in short:

99-04 port and polished H/C/I, maybe Windstar upper intake
intercooled Procharger @ 9psi (vortech doesnt make an intercooled V6 kit, i would get a Vortech if i make a custom intercooler system)
Mac Longtubes
IRS
atlantic blue respray with Saleen body kit and wing
99-04 chrome saleen wheels
black interior swap
springs and struts/shocks
t-5 swap obviously

and once the stock internals go, 4.2 F-150 shortblock

danielr0bert

Reaction score
good luck
car will be awesome after but id rather keep the stock v6 look and have a total sleeper

OP
OP
atlanticblue98

atlanticblue98

Reaction score
danielr0bert said:
good luck
car will be awesome after but id rather keep the stock v6 look and have a total sleeper

most of that big stuff wouldnt be done until im out of college.

short term will be cobra front, maybe hood.
anthracite bullitts with deep dish in the rear
wingless
slammed on H&R SS
shocks
8.8 rearend with 3.73's
and other bolt ons like UD pulleys and stuff

danielr0bert

Reaction score
awesome, sounds sweet dude.. I live about 40 minutes away from you I think also heheh

OP
OP
atlanticblue98

atlanticblue98

Reaction score
Update: 11/21

finished polishing the tips and i must say, i think i will like these tips more than the Mach 1 rolled tips.

IMG_1119.jpg

the catback goes to a Racing shop for some modification on monday, let's just say ive got a little surprise if all goes well

:headbang:

96_SVT_Cobra

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
nice man. that catback looks great all polished up. as for the vortech u should be able to do a custom front mount... thats what i have with a blow through maf and bov, mine is a 4v, but i would imagine it wouldnt be much different

BTW what do u plan on doing to the exhaust to make it more interesting?

OP
OP
atlanticblue98

atlanticblue98

Reaction score
96_SVT_Cobra said:
nice man. that catback looks great all polished up. as for the vortech u should be able to do a custom front mount... thats what i have with a blow through maf and bov, mine is a 4v, but i would imagine it wouldnt be much different

yeah that would be the way to go, i know another V6 owner who has a custom intercooler setup on a Vortech V-1. its been done before, i just dont like how the vortechs (other than the V3) are not self contained. i really dont want to tap a line into my oil pan.

Orange Stang

Reaction score
looks Great Bro! Your car would look awesome with the saleen kit!!!!

OP
OP
atlanticblue98

atlanticblue98

Reaction score
well, nothing really has changed since money has become very very tight from the holidays and my lack of hours at work.

but to try and get some progress, i went ahead and started polishing the visible portion of my new tailpipes.

so far only one side is complete. im sure i dont need to tell you guys which one is the unfinished tailpipe.

DSC00826smaller.jpg

DSC00825smaller.jpg

DSC00823smaller.jpg

DSC00821smaller.jpg

bottlefed97

Reaction score
Wow that shine looks great!

Once I do this whole Kenne Bell deal, i'm gonna have a P.I. intake manifold, 75mm TB/Plenum, and stock 97 fuel rails/injectors that won't be on ym car anymore. I also have a set of complete P.I. heads with cams in them sitting in the garage from my last motor.

This would be a perfect package to slap onto a non P.I. shortblock and drop into your car :thumbsup:

OP
OP
atlanticblue98

atlanticblue98

Reaction score
bottlefed97 said:

Once I do this whole Kenne Bell deal, i'm gonna have a P.I. intake manifold, 75mm TB/Plenum, and stock 97 fuel rails/injectors that won't be on ym car anymore. I also have a set of complete P.I. heads with cams in them sitting in the garage from my last motor.

This would be a perfect package to slap onto a non P.I. shortblock and drop into your car :thumbsup:

no thanks, im good with 29mpg for now :thumbsup:

bottlefed97

Reaction score
atlanticblue98 said:
bottlefed97 said:

I'm gonna bring you to the dark side, one way or another!! :p

OP
OP
atlanticblue98

atlanticblue98

Reaction score
bottlefed97 said:
atlanticblue98 said:
bottlefed97 said:

I'm gonna bring you to the dark side, one way or another!! :p

uh huh, sure...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdgarR213

Members online