Auto to Manual Swap Advice

Gelsomini

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I haven't been on here in a little bit. I've decided on swapping my 94 GT tranny out cause I'm so bored of the aode. I would like someone who has experience with this to tell me all the parts I'll need to be, as I'd rather buy it in parts and not the kit. I know that a fox transmission could be used but could you just let me know what else I would need if that was the case? Thanks, can't wait to get some feedback.

5-oh-MUSTANG

Reaction score
You can use fox tranny, but perferably the 91+ as they are stronger. Also u will have to use the same bell from the fox and ur shifter will sit a bit forward. You can fix that by using the 94-95 input shaft.

RichV

Reaction score
Find a 94/95 T5 tranny if you can. They are the correct length and will be the easiest for the swap.

You'll need:
Trans/bell/block plate
trans mount
set of pedals
quadrant (if not on pedals), cable, fw adjuster (all best bought in a kit)
shifter, boot, knob
dust cover for shifter
dust cover for bell housing shift fork
clutch kit (depending on trans you get)
flywheel (86-95 will all work)

On the electronics, not sure how sensitive the SN ECUs are. Will you need a 5sp computer? Not sure. The tranny harness has a neutral safety switch, you must bypass this and add one on the clutch pedal. The harnesses are the same IIRC, your car will have a jumper on the clutch side (since there is no clutch pedal), that jumper needs to be put on the NSS harness. Or there are other ways of bypassing it electronically.

I just saw a 95 T5 with bell/clutch/shifter on craigs for $700 localy, so finding something like that would be ideal.

5-oh-MUSTANG

Reaction score
Yes u will defiantly need a 5 speed computer or a chip programmed, which is what i did. Also u can use ur aode harness but have to splice it a bit.

And ur original aode cross memember will work but the aode/t5 mount plate will have to be modified. That is the only minor problem i encountered.

CKreations

Reaction score
In all seriousness, the cars aren't worth a whole lot. You'll save yourself a world of headaches and problems by selling the auto and buying a Manual car. Probably a ton cheaper in the long run. Just my opinion.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I'm doing the same, hopefully.. If you're not selling the car, why not swap it? Never getting your money out of the car anyway

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
I ve done the swap. Unfotunally by the time you gather every thing involved with the swap and swap it. You just spend all this money on a pretty weak trans..

Enviado usando mi SHP-L710 usando TapaTalk

kb1982

Reaction score
If your gonna do the swap, I would look for a Tremec 3550 or TKO500 transmission to start with. They take a little more abuse than what a T5 will. Ive seen somewhere the other day, where they have a bellhousing for them now that iirc, was around 250 dollars verseus 500 for a Mcleod SFI one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robtalbott