BadBlack's 351W buildup...***PICS***

Schiffy

Reaction score
Well, The 390 is on the backburner. I picked up a COMPLETE 351W today for $400... grabbed it, brought it him, and began the teardown... it was to heavy to get out of the truck and on the engine stand without a cherry picker the way i bought it, so we started teardown... plans...

Aluminum Intake
GT40 P&P heads
Bigger Cam (undecided on which one)
deleted smog pump
deleted AC
complete rebuild
long tubes
Nitrous

thats the list for now... but here's the fun stuff! PICTURES!!!!

003-1.jpg

001-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

007-1.jpg

012-1.jpg

OP
OP
Schiffy

Schiffy

Reaction score
xploder17s said:
hella cleaning and painting.

Yup... I'm thinking the block, and water pump Ford Blue, and getting the brackets and valve covers powder coated Black, Got the Hooker equal length headers,so i'll be bringing them to work Monday with me, along with the valve covers, and getting them sand blasted by a buddy of mine, and then dropping the VLV covers off at Marks here in Va Beach and have him coat them... I also found an intake for $150, and i'm looking at some Scorpion 1.7 rr's... gotta get(don't gotta, but i am) new pushrods, and lifters... I also want to pick up a girdle for the bottom to help stiffen it up, because if it IS a hydraulic lifter engine, it's a mid 90's block, so it's not as strong as an older 70, or 80's block. I also want to upgrade the main cap bolts, head bolts, and intake bolts to ARP stuff... got the catalog already, just need to get the PN for them... I'll be ordering the new gasket rebuild kit probably today, or tomorrow, Also going to get the carb rebuild kit while i'm at it...

the car had a freshly rebuilt C4 automatic in it, that i got, it still has the dipstick, flywheel and converter for it, that i'm going to sell off... so hopefully i can make some cash off it(the guy SAID it was a C4, i'm not 100% sure, does anyone know what the casting would be if it was? I have the numbers off it, but they're at home right now)

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Paint the block/water pump/timing cover black. Much more sedate. Ford blue is kinda "bright." :)

OP
OP
Schiffy

Schiffy

Reaction score
Paul said:
Paint the block/water pump/timing cover black. Much more sedate. Ford blue is kinda "bright." :)

That was another Option... Paint the block and all Black, and paint the valve covers and brackets Gun metal...

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
I painted my block cast iron. The brackets, timing cover, valve covers, and intake will be gunmetal. Oil pan is flat black. All the fuel stuff will be black. Pulleys will probably be polished. Fasteners are all polished. Throttle body will be polished. Headers will be black. Haven't figured out yet what I'm going to do with the alternator or water neck. I'm thinking of doing a black -16AN upper radiator hose - I think that would be neato. Maybe I'll do the lower too. Who knows.

Paul.

OP
OP
Schiffy

Schiffy

Reaction score
Paul said:
I painted my block cast iron. The brackets, timing cover, valve covers, and intake will be gunmetal. Oil pan is flat black. All the fuel stuff will be black. Pulleys will probably be polished. Fasteners are all polished. Throttle body will be polished. Headers will be black. Haven't figured out yet what I'm going to do with the alternator or water neck. I'm thinking of doing a black -16AN upper radiator hose - I think that would be neato. Maybe I'll do the lower too. Who knows.

Paul.

That sounds awesome... you'll have to send me some pics of it when it's all done....

On another note. it's official. I pulled a lifter... the lifter is hydraulic. makes things easier, and keeps me from spending money at the machine shop. LOL :banana:

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Just look at my 306 engine build thread for pics. They'll be in there.

fastgtfairlane

Reaction score
if you go with ford blue, do the dark ford blue. the light ford blue was originally the six cyl color. the dark ford blue is almost navy. looks way better with aluminum heads and such.

OP
OP
Schiffy

Schiffy

Reaction score
fastgtfairlane said:
if you go with ford blue, do the dark ford blue. the light ford blue was originally the six cyl color. the dark ford blue is almost navy. looks way better with aluminum heads and such.

I kinda like the all Black with a little gunmetal... the Ford blue was what my buddy thinks it should be... I don't know, i'll decide. i've got awhile to decide. I just want it decent... I'm not a big show kinda guy, so i'm not worried about the alternator, or the pulleys, or anything like that.

OP
OP
Schiffy

Schiffy

Reaction score
My Buddy ray standing next to the block doing whatever it is he does...
001-4.jpg

004-4.jpg

006-1.jpg

My fat ass pulling the cam out
008-1.jpg

I'm on the left, Ray's on the right... yup we're both fat...
012-2.jpg

I've got a big cam don't I?
011-2.jpg

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
I know, it's old, obviously, i was searching huh?

Anyway, nice dude, I just got one myself from Pull-a-part. What type of rotating assembly are you going to use? I think I'm just going to go get a Federal Mogul rebild kit from Summit next weekend myself, my car will never see a power adder now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Isaac cerr

Members online