Ball joint creak

Discussion in 'Suspension and Brakes' started by carbuff, Jul 7, 2016.

1. carbuff

carbuff Member

So, the PS ball joint on my 98 v6 started creaking. I inspected it and found that its the sealed type and the boot was ripped. I sprayed some white lithium grease inside the ripped boot and now its quiet again. I realize that I will have to replace this soon. Do you think its safe to drive this? I jacked up under the control arm and there is no play at all in the joint. It just started creaking a couple of weeks ago. I used the lithium grease as Ive read that other oils actually ruin the joint.

2. Orange 94

Orange 94 Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

If you're questioning it, why not just replace it now rather than later?

3. carbuff

carbuff Member

I just dont have the time in my upcoming schedule. Im not planning on forgetting about it. I just need an extra few weeks before I can get to it. Im thinking it will be fine but just checking with others as this seems to be a common issue with these sealed ball joints that cant be greased. Someone did my ds already and used a greasable unit which is what I will use. Most likely moog.

4. Frank.JD.Perez

Frank.JD.Perez Legend

you should be good for a little while but get it done asap. you dont want to have it fail and come out while driving, thats not fun...

5. carbuff

carbuff Member

Thanks. Thats the plan.

6. the5.ohh

the5.ohh Legend

You're essentially putting a band aid on something that requires staples to fix. Change it soon, because if that balljoint goes, you'll really have a headache.

7. rz5.0

rz5.0 Legend

Jack up your car. check for play If it has no play you will be fine..

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

8. carbuff

carbuff Member

Yeah, theres no play. If there was, I wouldnt drive it.

9. JPhilBradley

JPhilBradley New Member

Realize that it's creaking because the boot is torn and all the grease has leaking out. The creaking is metal on metal contact in the absence of grease. The ball joint is going to wear at a much accelerated rate and will likely develop play in the coming weeks/months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Justang

Justang Active Member

I questioned the same thing on mine for days...weeks...months...then it fell apart in my driveway! I was very lucky given my stupidity. Please take my example and learn from it.

11. carbuff

carbuff Member

Got the part in the mail today. I wont get to it til I get home from vacation next week. Dont worry, not driving it on vacation. Its a second vehicle.

12. grilla

grilla New Member

I would replace them ASAP. My ball joints were doin same thing n i just kept puttin it off til 1 day it snapped on me smh, luckly i was in a friends driveway. i didnt know what happened. All b of a sudden the front of my car on the pass side just fell to the ground. I didnt know what happened n then i jacked it up n realize that my ball joint snapped in half on me. So if i was u i would do them ASAP

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk