Battery relocation

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
that is the spot that my wiring fell down on the exhaust and started my electrical fire so I will probably wince anytime I see someone running wiring there.

OP
OP
J_lope82

J_lope82

Reaction score
I’m thinking of installing a heat shield where the positive wire could come in contact the exhaust.
This one here. IMG_0578.jpeg

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
YES!!! Good stuff and I have been going through all of my wiring near the exhaust or tranny covering it with that same material. Just be aware some is made with velcro to make it easy and others you need to slide your hose/cable through it.

Gautz

Reaction score
Just keep it away from anything moving and anything hot. General rule of thumb is at least half a foot from anything hot and in that case the wire/hose/etc should be covered in some type of heat resistant sheath like those fiberglass woven spark plug protectors. I might even go father and cover it in that as well as the corrugated seamless aluminized tubing.

More than one way to slice the pie, and there's tons of examples in google images or mustang forums, etc. Did the trunk relo a few years back and while I'll post pics for examples, I honestly threw money at it and it's not for everyone on a budget. I have + running down driver side and - down passenger. All 1/0 AWG or 0 gauge or 50mm squared.

It's a Varley red top 60 with a custom aluminum hold down (pictured), 500A main breaker (pictured), a + distribution point up front (not pictured) with one leg going unfused to the starter and the other leg going to everything else (300A fused toward OEM fuse box and the alternator). Negative trunk goes from the IRS subframe onto a distribution point up front (not pictured) and branches off with one to the passenger motor mount and to the case of the alternator.
Good day, I have an 01 GT stroked, procharged... I ran out of space to install my oil filter relocation/oil cooler thermostat, so I need to put the battery in the trunk. I like your approach. Did you happen to write out a wiring diagram by chance??? :)

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
No diagram for mine, and not really all that necessary either. You only need a fat lead going from back to front of car. You can terminate the front end side of it where the factory originals all connect to, which I believe is on the fuse box (but I could be wrong it's been so long since anything on my car has been OEM). As long as all the positives tie together at some distribution point, it's really all that matters. Even then, you don't need a "star" distribution point (you can have the big (+) lead in series). For instance, a lot of people going direct from battery to starter, then off of that to the alternator, then finally to the OEM fuse box. I went down a much different path due to space contraints and other electrical 'breakout' requirements I inadvertently made for myself along the way.

And if you're not changing the output of the alternator, you don't even need to change gauges of any other wires, just keep them all the same. That's because the big-A 1/0 (or greater) cable you'd be adding is the same thing as the battery being up front where it originally was. But do make sure that the (-) post of the trunk battery anchors to something really meaty, like frame rail or shock tower. Don't go into thin gauge sheet metal. The ground is just as important as the positive cable, both in terms of cable cross section and where it's ultimately chosen to be mounted.

OP
OP
J_lope82

J_lope82

Reaction score
Guys now im looking for a good battery hold down tray. What do you all recommend? I would like to see you all’s set ups TIA.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Here's mine but it's quite uncommon and maybe not practical for a lot of people. It's a Varley red top 60 and I don't even know if the battery mount is made anymore. I was lucky to find the one I have back in 2018 when I bought all this stuff before I installed it. And I had to buy custom hardware to get it to mount securely/safely directly to the sheet metal of the car. Battery is wrapped in cushioning and also in heat barrier, then secured under the stamped mount.

Attachments

• 20200619_085117.jpg
    20200619_085117.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 8

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
They have some really nice mounts for the optima's, unfortunately that is about all I can say good about them. I sold them back when they were new in the 90s when they earned their reputation and we were surprised if maybe one a year came back bad. Then they sold the company, changed some of the internals/quality control and it got to the point we were gettingat least one a month back. They are good about replacing it which they should with the price but I went with odyssey myself.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I had two red tops die this year, after both of them sat for extended periods of time. They were both bought in 2015, so I got a solid 8 years out of them. I don’t think that’s too bad.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yea 8 years isn't too bad. They do still make a good battery, they just don't make the great battery that they use to and still charge the premium for them.

Back in the day when we did get one back we were normally more suspicious that the customer had just driven the hell out of it rather than a manf defect. But that didn't matter, still replaced.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online