Best air fuel ratio gauge???

dntgtbit

Reaction score
Hey all. I am looking to purchase an air fuel ratio gauge. I want to get a good one. What do you guys run or recomend? Reasons you prefer it over others. Thanks guys.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
this is the one I use. The nicest thing about it is that its touchscreen for easy operation, and you can also hook up other sensors to it to monitor them as well. I have 2 of these gauges and another one that is not a touch screen by them. With the 3 screens I can monitor fuel/oil pressure, oil/water temp, AFR, Vac, and soon boost and intake temps.

http://www.plxdevices.com/product_info.php?id=WDBDSMAFR_DM6

OP
OP
D

dntgtbit

Reaction score
Thats a pretty nice gauge. I am going to do some more research on it. I wish it came it white face to match my other gauges.

kb1982

Reaction score
I use the MTX-L from Innovate in my car. I also have an LC-1 controller and a XD-16 gauge from them also, but the O2 sensor went bad, so i just have the MTX-L in the car right now. The MTX is easier to wire up than the LC1 XD16 combo, plus it is alot cheaper at around 158 bucks. Both alllow you to set it for different fuels, and both have outputs for wideband and narrow band to run to your ecm. Its all about what options you want and need and how much you are willing to spend. Ive read up on the PLX posted above, and it seems pretty cool. My car already has a full set of autometer guages to monitor those, so it wasnt the best option for me. Pictured below is the MTX-L.

toyman

Reaction score
It's not clear to me that the OP needs to be using a WB O2 with the controller if he wants to read the AFRs. If he's running stock NB O2s all he's going to have is an expensive light show with a AFR gauge.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It's not clear to me that the OP needs to be using a WB O2 with the controller if he wants to read the AFRs. If he's running stock NB O2s all he's going to have is an expensive light show with a AFR gauge.

This^

Assuming you want a wideband, though, I'd go with AEM.

kb1982

Reaction score
All of the widebands from Innovate use a controller for the LSU 4.2 wideband oxygen sensor (most widebands use this same sensor). The controller is responsible for heating up the sensor, and also outputing the wideband and narrowband signals and calibrating the sensor. The stock ecm, uses narrowband signals only (0.1-1.1 volts). If you popped out one of the stock o2's, you could install the wb sensor in its place. The narrowband output wire would be hooked up to the ecm input wire on the oygen sensor wiring harness. The rest of the stock o2 sensor wiring harness would be unused, as the controller provides the ground wire and power to heat it up. Your ecm gets its narrow band signal, and your guage will get its wideband signal. I ran this setup on my 95 Cobra until I converted over to a Megasquirt, now i just use the wideband output.

toyman

Reaction score
I've long ago learned that it's best not to just assume but rather to ask for clarification.

jws4621

Reaction score
I have the AEM in my 84, for tuning the carb properly, I like it alot. It has two backs for white and black and a great deal of colors the LED's will change to. I like an analog style gauge though.

OP
OP
D

dntgtbit

Reaction score
To be honest I dont know much About them. I just want to to keep an eye on things to make sure everything is running as it should. I wouldn't know how to fine tune anything like most of you guys would. This is my first supercharged car. I'm still learning as I go.

toyman

Reaction score
I don't think I can love inanimate objects but I do like the features of the Zeitronix . You can data log about 10 different parameters.

410sn95

Reaction score
You can't go wrong with Innovate products. Have been running an LM-1 since around 04'. Other than replacing sensors periodically, still going strong.

I have since installed AEM widebands in cars and we run one in my dads P-car. All seem to be pretty solid and the price is great.

If you don't have a boost gauge yet, I recommend looking into the AEM wideband failsafe dual gauge. Its a killer little unit. Continuous data logging of a/f, boost and rpm with programmable outputs. Ran one on a boosted Dakota and was very impressed.

That's my real world 2cents.

Also, Here's a good read, comparison of different wide bands.
http://tunertools.com/articles/FordMuscle.pdf

Kboss87

Reaction score
I like my innovate. If the wideband sensor ever goes bad, its an off the shelf Bosch VW sensor you can buy at any auto parts store.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online