Bolt on test

S281 #39B

Reaction score
Has anyone tested underdrives, TB, upper, o/r pipe (before and after ET) on non pi motor. I'm starting a new project so learning from others helps me save money and time. please give name brands on parts because all parts are different. thanks

My car is a 97 S281 convertible 4.6L (N/A) with an automatic.
All Saleen did was installed after-cat exhaust and a K&N on this vehicle.

Base Run
r/t .011
60' 2.221
330' 6.320
1/8 9.693
MPH 70.689

I'm ready for my first mod but I don't want to waste money.
HP means nothing to me only pt A to pt B.

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Underdrives are allways a great bang for the buck so I suggest those. a O/R pipe will not only sound sweet but will give you a good increase for the money as well. ASP Pulleys are nice I would get aluminum. Sorry I dont have track times for ya. Have you not run 1/4 mile?

Car sounds great, we need some pics! :)

OP
OP
S

S281 #39B

Reaction score
not yet its about 1 1/2 hours away instead of 10-30 mins and i know everyone but i do go to fun ford but we take the 94.

STNG_96

Reaction score
S281 #39B said:
not yet its about 1 1/2 hours away instead of 10-30 mins and i know everyone but i do go to fun ford but we take the 94.

:dunno: im lost

OP
OP
S

S281 #39B

Reaction score
Sorry he ask if I run the 1/4 and i replied no that it is about an hour and a half away. The 1/8 mile tracks one is within ten minutes and the other 3 are about 30 minutes away. I go to the fun ford weekend events but my husband takes his 94 Mustang to race. Now, he said we can start on mine so I want to see what everyone else has used. We had a 2000 but it looks like the 96-98 don't like the bolt-ons quiet as well.

OP
OP
S

S281 #39B

Reaction score
Me and my husband have 3 together. But the Saleen is mine no matter what he says!

94gtstang50

Reaction score
Thats cool, welcome aboard ma'am. My wife wants my gt, and I promised it to her when I get a snake. Only problem is that she hates autos, so I'd probably have to convert it for her. I would love to have a saleen, but its way too much $$$. Maybe in a few years...
Hey you want a sig btw?

Adam

Reaction score
Unfortunately there is no way to do ET testing on mods. By the time you change out the part and make a pass, about a million things will be different, track temp , air temp, car temp etc etc. 99% of bolt ons offer gains, not what the manufacturer says but some gains. Biggest bang for buck, gears, longtube headers, cams,(PI intake/cams on NPI cars). Pulleys,CAI, TB, plenums, yield HP but it takes the whole gamet of all of them to get any real good gains. Good luck,

Adam

94gtstang50

Reaction score
Get gears (3.73's), and a new diff (Torsen t2, Eaton, Auburn), you'll definitely notice the difference. Better traction and better acceleration guaranteed.

OP
OP
S

S281 #39B

Reaction score
Adam, you don't bracket racing do you! That is the only real way to tell. Yeah the weather changes but so does everything else. My husband, my dad, and I race so we go by times if you bracket you have 1 or 2 runs to make your dial in so...... Don't break out or you'll lose! lol

Bonus on a 94 h/c/i car the underdrives from asp lowered ET by .11-.12 in the 1/8.

Adam

Reaction score
S281 #39B said:
Adam, you don't bracket racing do you! That is the only real way to tell. Yeah the weather changes but so does everything else. My husband, my dad, and I race so we go by times if you bracket you have 1 or 2 runs to make your dial in so...... Don't break out or you'll lose! lol

Bonus on a 94 h/c/i car the underdrives from asp lowered ET by .11-.12 in the 1/8.

Yes I bracket race. I race the NMRA Modular Muscle class. Yes you can correct for weather but the best way to tell a parts performance is on a dyno and even those results are skewed. Where are you located, you should come out and race with us....its a great time..lots of good people. ALthough I can't be held responsible for what goes on in the "Misfit Pit" 8)

[attachment deleted by admin] SORRY HAD TO CLEAR ROOM

OP
OP
S

S281 #39B

Reaction score
I go to most of the Fun Ford events. But I will try to go to some of the NMRA races on the east coast.

Adam

Reaction score
If you see our Modular Misfit banner stop by and say hi. There will be a bunch of us in Maple Grove PA June 16th-18th.

Adam

M1ke

Reaction score
i think gears (4.10 or none at all) and slicks will lower your ET pretty nicely. this is from others experience not mine btw

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
S281 #39B said:
Has anyone tested underdrives, TB, upper, o/r pipe (before and after ET) on non pi motor. I'm starting a new project so learning from others helps me save money and time. please give name brands on parts because all parts are different. thanks

My car is a 97 S281 convertible 4.6L (N/A) with an automatic.
All Saleen did was installed after-cat exhaust and a K&N on this vehicle.

Base Run
r/t .011
60' 2.221
330' 6.320
1/8 9.693
MPH 70.689

I'm ready for my first mod but I don't want to waste money.
HP means nothing to me only pt A to pt B.

Not sure of a full out test of NPI boltons at the track but MMFF magazine ran a series called "Red Headed Step Child" and focused on gains from common bolt ons with a NPI GT and worked their way up to heads/cams/intake etc etc...but it was Dyno results not track results. Not a bad read though.

M1ke

Reaction score
what sucks about that article is that after longtubes and cams and some other boltons they bought a built engine. then they tested on of the new 4.6 intakes so no one knows what it would do to a stock engine

Adam

Reaction score
M1ke said:
what sucks about that article is that after longtubes and cams and some other boltons they bought a built engine. then they tested on of the new 4.6 intakes so no one knows what it would do to a stock engine

Tada!!! Exactly...... As much as I like reading those Mustang mags, I take all the dyno testing with a grain of salt. I use real world results from real world people. Thats what tells me what parts are good for what. Unless you have access to a dyno to make run after run to get the best numbers out of these parts (which is what they do) then you need to look elsewhere for parts recommendations.

Adam

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online