Both windows non operational

Sirjrock94

Reaction score
Fuses good, motors work, new switches, the unlock button work. Is there a way to hotwire this or what? Car is useless if can't fix

Slipperman

Reaction score
Sorry, cannot directly help but I recently had a similar experience.
I had moved my car to the street and rolled the windows down.
A few minutes later, I pulled the car back into my driveway and while the engine was still running, went to power the windows up.
They were all unresponsive.
Then I noticed an "AIRBAG" light on the dash. Hmmm.
After a few seconds, the airbag light goes out and I can now operate my windows normally.
Some kind of module thing?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
have you checked for power on the back of the switches? The center pin in the harness is or should be hot if I remember correctly. The wiring in the windows/locks is tricky to diagnose because it uses a master/slave switch set up that is nice for ford as it doesn't need any relays, but as I said is a pain to diagnose. For example A bad connection on the master switch roll down(drivers side) should leave the switches switch still able to function in one direction(roll up). That sounds like what you have going on with the locks but if both window switches are non-functional then I would look on the pass side.

Now this is after you check EVERY fuse and yes I mean every one. It takes less time to pull/inspect each fuse then to decipher the manual and then you can be sure. Start with fuses, then test for power at the switches.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Have you tried the true fix to this problem. Hit the door right around the door pull area. The gear oil in the motors has a tendency to gum up and just needs a little knocking to get loose

07GtS197

Reaction score
Have you tried the true fix to this problem. Hit the door right around the door pull area. The gear oil in the motors has a tendency to gum up and just needs a little knocking to get loose

Haha dude I was going to suggest that! All of my sn95s had this problem, its such a common problem with these cars. My 00 gt used to do it pretty much on a daily basis but instead of smacking the door I had to keep pressing the switch up and down and then eventually theyd work again lol.

OP
OP
S

Sirjrock94

Reaction score
there is no power which is why they dont work. no need to bang on motors or slam door. the motors are fine, before i start splicing is there another gem module or something somewhere else. i checked all fuses and power block under hoood.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
also on the drivers side while you are doing this, make sure the one touch relay on the door panel is plugged in or it would do all of this as well.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
ok well you said there is no power but all the fuses were good so that means that there is a bad connection somewhere. Start at the switches and with everything plugged in give a VERY close inspection to all the wiring going up to it. Look for bare copper/broken wires/bad connections to see if anything pops out at you. There should be a wire harness connected in the kick panel as well which is another place to look(pass side as well). If you can find that wire inside the car test it there and see if it has voltage on it. If you can't see anything bad then try pulling/tugging/moving the wire harness while the key is in and holding the switch to move the window. Doing this can help to connect the spot that is not connected and when you do you can then narrow down the problem section.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
its probably not more then just one, maybe two bad connections. I would trace some wires before you start rewiring as you have no idea what your getting into. You would be better off just buying a prewired kit and running it then trying to decipher the stock wiring to correct what we are not sure what is wrong exactly. If you need futher proof do a search for "5-wire reversing polarity wiring systems" to see the general schematic of what your dealing with.

OP
OP
S

Sirjrock94

Reaction score
This is how I fixed it. I just spliced into the power lock hot wire. Not only did I bypass the stupid auto down feature I made it so I can activate Windows with the key off. Double bonus. But the reason why passenger doesn't work is motor shot

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
only way to be sure is to test for voltage at the motor while pushing the switch. Otherwise it could also be just a simple bad connection that shuts it all down.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online