Budget Drag Mustang

Tight_Budget

Reaction score
Hey there guys,
I registered myself to this forum bc I've had an idea circulating around my mind for quite a while now and need opinions from people who were familiar with the sort of stuff id be dealing w/.
First of all, a friend and I are in search of a fun summer project ccar and we thought you couldn't go wrong with a nice v8 stang. But we noticed that there really aren't many v8 - 5 speed mustangs in our price range (~$2000).
So, we came up with the idea to at first just manual swap a v8 auto, but we thought we would have to leave the v8 stock bc we wouldn't have any $ left over for upgrades.
That led us to shopping on auction salvage sites and the idea that we want to buy a v6 shell and swap a v8 - manual powertrain into it, swapping the wiring harness and all.
We want to do some basic bolt on upgrades to the engine like long tube headers, exhaust, cai, etc.
We've also had some ideas about forced induction (supercharger), and reworking the pulley system for efficiency.
Our goal is to gut the interior and make a fast, potentially dedicated to drag, car.
We have some questions like if we run a supercharger and long tubes we would be pushing a lot of torque so would this the make the stock 5-speed spit out its guts?
Also, please replay or message us about anything you guys want to say, or any concerns, about this whole setup bc we are new to this and need all the help we can get... Thanks

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Stop making so many threads and posting this is so many others threads.

If people want to give advice they will but with the way your blowing everything up over and over with the same thing you will drive everyone nuts and they won’t help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Leave him alone! I prompted him to post an original thread. He is figuring it out!! Give him a break.

98snakehorse

Reaction score
Are you wanting to do a 5.0 push rod engine or a 4.6 modular? If 4.6 I bought my 98gt 5spd back in late 2014 for like $1200 bucks. It ran and drove and was bone stock. Keep an eye out the cheap deals are out there and if your making it a drag car then mileage shouldnt really play a big issue as long as the drivetrain is strong and the chassis is straight.

thugstang

Reaction score
After doing this for the past 4 years. if I could go back and change anything it would be to just buy a shell car gut it, and slowly start to put a 351W in it. then later on make that 351w a 427w. Would have 3x the horse power I do now.

OP
OP
T

Tight_Budget

Reaction score
the engine we get depends on the shell we get as of right now because we want the v8 to bolt in as easily as possible

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
K member setups are cheap and plentiful for any kind of motor. What are you more comfortable with?

bmcgc

Reaction score
My dream is a Fox coupe with a 3.7 drivetrain out of a 11+ Mustang. 4 banger coupes can be had cheaply, especially out of a salvage yard.

Lightweight, 300+ hp, auto or manual it would spank a lot of Fox, SN95 and S197s.

Yes the 3.5 ecoboost is sexier, but the 3.7 is half the cost and down the road the ecoboost swap would pretty much be a P-N-P.

Im squirreling away parts for that project. For $200 over the past couple years Ive got wheels, SN95 rear end, complete New Edge GT front suspension and crossmember and a bunch of odds and ends.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online