Buying my neighboors GT !?

lunchtime

Reaction score
so my neighboor has a 97gt for sale and offered it to me before putting it on the market (my car was stolen 2 weeks ago)

so the details

97' gt 5speed manual
black body with black leather interior
65k miles on the clock

my questions

1. are there any things I should look out for ? known problems with that year / make
2. he had some problems with a "coil pack" in the past but has been replaced (could this be a sign of bad things to come?)

i am a total newb to the 4.6 mustang scene and my goal is to try to learn alittle before making the purchase
if any more details are needed i will gladly post accordingly!

thanks in advance

Millzenator

Reaction score
lunch-

Sounds like a nice car.. That's great mileage. Mustangs are really very good cars. Like the 5.0 motor, the 4.6 has proven to be a very sturdy platform for many Blue Oval vehicles. The leaking intake manifold is the only major item that comes to mind. Look at the crossover right behind the altenator, and if it's aluminum, it's either been updated with a "leak proof" NPI (non-performance improved.... the 96-98 Mustangs had these engines) intake manifold or has a PI intake on it. I wouldn't worry about a coil pack problem. They very rarely fail, and a used replacement is cheap to find and a cinch to put on. BTW, what is the price for the car???

Someone else chime in on apparent or common issues lunch may need to look out for???

OP
OP
L

lunchtime

Reaction score
still talking it over abit (might need tires) 5500-6000 i think

Ender

Reaction score
The cracking intake is the only major problem with 96-98 GTs. Mine cracked at 70,000 miles, so his may not be too far off. You have several options to fix it when it goes. There is an updated NPI intake with an aluminum crossover, the SVO intake, which is expensive, but makes great power and is all aluminum, or a PI intake with or without the head swap. You could probably use a Bullitt intake as well, it is almost identical to the SVO, but made for PI heads (and about half the price), so I would imagine you could use it just like a PI.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ender covered the intake info well, there's a lot more info on it in this site.

It sounds like a nice car, if it's in good shape you'll be happy!

The coil pack issue isn't a common thing.

stang2004

Reaction score
Matt94GT said:
Sounds like a cool car man good luck.

I have the PI intake manifold on my car, was replaced when there was a crack noticed.

OP
OP
L

lunchtime

Reaction score
im 99% sure that the intake has already been replaced ...
any way i can tell for sure ?

also i noticed there was a fair amount of corrosion on the battery heads ???

but overall the car is in great shape for a 97 , interior is very clean and the leather looks good, the paint is solid with only afew light areas below the headlights where the sun has really soaked in, but thats nothing alittle elbow grease cant fix

ill be taking her for a spin monday afternnoon (will post again)

Ender

Reaction score
lunchtime said:
im 99% sure that the intake has already been replaced ...
any way i can tell for sure ?

also i noticed there was a fair amount of corrosion on the battery heads ???

but overall the car is in great shape for a 97 , interior is very clean and the leather looks good, the paint is solid with only afew light areas below the headlights where the sun has really soaked in, but thats nothing alittle elbow grease cant fix

ill be taking her for a spin monday afternnoon (will post again)

Is the coolant crossover aluminum like this one?
615-178a.jpg

95CALI-5.0

Reaction score
sounds like a good price for the condition of the car. keep us posted.

we need pics!!!!

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
Ender said:

Is the coolant crossover aluminum like this one?
615-178a.jpg

yes, thats the correct one that should be under there. If that silver part is black plastic than its going to crack sooner or later.

Great car ;] i love my 97 gt.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online