C&L 80mm maf?

wildazme

Reaction score
I just purchased a C&L 80mm maf for my car, i was wondering if anyones had experience with them and can tell me if I will see any performance from using it. i bought it because i knew someone selling it cheap and i think my maf may be crapping out on me. thanks in advance.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Honestly you just bought a paper weight :'(

C&L's are worthless on Modulars because they use the old technology by tricking the computer with sample tubes like on 5.0's but on Modulars everything is done in the tune. C&L's are known to cause issues on Modulars and i too bought one a few years ago and had nothing but problems...thats probably why you got it cheap. I would ebay it if you can.

It won't add any horsepower to your car but may give you a headache if you use it. The stock MAF is 80mm and works quite well on non supercharged applications.

Thomas_W

Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
Honestly you just bought a paper weight :'(

C&L's are worthless on Modulars because they use the old technology by tricking the computer with sample tubes like on 5.0's but on Modulars everything is done in the tune. C&L's are known to cause issues on Modulars and i too bought one a few years ago and had nothing but problems...thats probably why you got it cheap. I would ebay it if you can.

It won't add any horsepower to your car but may give you a headache if you use it. The stock MAF is 80mm and works quite well on non supercharged applications.

+1

OP
OP
W

wildazme

Reaction score
Is this first hand info from you guys using these maf's or is it just here say? i read an article in a magazine that actually said it gave a few hp increase on a 98 gt.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
wildazme said:
Is this first hand info from you guys using these maf's or is it just here say? i read an article in a magazine that actually said it gave a few hp increase on a 98 gt.

Mine is first hand, i sold mine for half what i paid...

that car probably gained a few hp because it leaned out the A/F

ask any reputable tuner for modulars and they will tell you to stick with the stock 80mm, if you need more go to the Lightning 90mm and after 500hp use the SCT 2400/2800 none will mention C&L.

smasher41

Reaction score
my car came with the c&l kit, ive never had it throw any codes?
perhaps it was tuned after intall ( it was PI swapped also) Perhaps I should go and get the car dynoed and tuned just in case?

S

scarface

C&L makes power by leaning out the A/F. Its been proven. You can make decent gains with them, but a tune is needed to get the a/f correct.

THis is not hearsay from me. I run one without a tune. Put it on, I get p0171 and p0174 lean on bank one AND two. WHen I take it off and run the stock intake the code is gone.

I do not intend to remove it from my mods though, I am going to get a tune soon to take advantage of all my mods.

smasher41

Reaction score
is it safe to run the c&l stuff if im not getting any codes? ( Im thinking the car has been tuned before)

Is there anything to look for if it runs lean or rich ( like smells or something?)

S

scarface

smasher41 said:
is it safe to run the c&l stuff if im not getting any codes? ( Im thinking the car has been tuned before)

Is there anything to look for if it runs lean or rich ( like smells or something?)
I run mine without the tune...I only get the codes when the weather is really warm. If it is effecting you badly, you will get the codes.... thing is when you get the lean codes, your car will actually be running rich. The ecu will get the word that it is lean, and it will dump all the fuel it can to it. causing you to run rich.

The most negative effect is you will actually lose power until you get a tune.

Like I said before though, speed is not first priority with this car. I did the whole speed thing with my 400 WHP Non pi 97 GT. I want to concentrate on the looks of the car. So when I get more mods, I will get a tune to take advantage of the C&L system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online