Cams

97blackgt

Reaction score
thanks for the link svtboy....those are some expensive cams...what is the difference between the PI cam and the crower stage 1 cams? Worth the extra money?

OP
OP

96PonyGT

Reaction score
so if i went stage 2 crowers I would need new springs? and what kind should I get? Im not too smart with the whole valve train thing so
any info will be great to know! any part numbers would be great too

Pennywise2

Reaction score
96PonyGT said:
so if i went stage 2 crowers I would need new springs? and what kind should I get? Im not too smart with the whole valve train thing so
any info will be great to know! any part numbers would be great too
Yes,you will need to install new valve springs with the Crower 62811-2 (stage 2).
With their stage 2 cams your low end torque will suffer some and your powerband
will start in the mid range.Also your installation costs will go up if you have to install
valve springs.The Crower 62810-2 (stage 1) will be a better all around cam for the
NPI cylinder head because your low end torque will no suffer if any.With the stage 1 cams from
crower you will not need to install new valve springs.

OP
OP

96PonyGT

Reaction score
so what would be the best ones to go with, just some stage 1 NPI cams? I heard someone say that it is not worth it tho, is this true or will stage 1
npi cams work wonders still?

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
ok i have a 1996 mustang gt auto, stock gears, remanufactored japser motor with bbk shorty headers, bbk catted xpipe, pi intake manifold, mac underdrive pullies. i was lookin at gettin a cam but wasnt sure on which to get. i was leaning for Comp Cams like a xe270 with .550 lift but i see everyone posting the VT Stage 1 or 2 cams. i wanted a cam with not as big as a lift as .550 because later on i would like to run a turbo setup and that lift is kinda big. what are yalls suggestions?

sound clips are accepted lol

Pennywise2

Reaction score
96PonyGT said:
so what would be the best ones to go with, just some stage 1 NPI cams? I heard someone say that it is not worth it tho, is this true or will stage 1
npi cams work wonders still?
Crower 26810-2 stage one NPI cams are the best cams to go with in your NPI cylinder heads.

Pennywise2

Reaction score
my95gtstang said:
ok i have a 1996 mustang gt auto, stock gears, remanufactored japser motor with bbk shorty headers, bbk catted xpipe, pi intake manifold, mac underdrive pullies. i was lookin at gettin a cam but wasnt sure on which to get. i was leaning for Comp Cams like a xe270 with .550 lift but i see everyone posting the VT Stage 1 or 2 cams. i wanted a cam with not as big as a lift as .550 because later on i would like to run a turbo setup and that lift is kinda big. what are yalls suggestions?

None of the cams you listed will work in your NPI cylinder heads because of too
much lift on the exhaust lobe. :hammer:
If I were you I would go with Comp 262H's instead and plus
you will not need to install new valve springs.

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
Pennywise2 said:
my95gtstang said:

sorry typed the wrong model comp cam, those were the ones i was just lookin at on ebay, those are for a 302
but i shouldnt have to get new valve springs since i have a new motor, only 2k miles on it so the springs are still good. but will the 262H cam be good for a N/A setup or for a turbo setup? i want to turbo the stang one day but i know there are "boost cams" and cams more for N/A so is a cam something id have to get when i do the turbo setup cuz i dont think there is a cam that is good for both

Pennywise2

Reaction score
my95gtstang said:
Pennywise2 said:
my95gtstang said:

sorry typed the wrong model comp cam, those were the ones i was just lookin at on ebay, those are for a 302
but i shouldnt have to get new valve springs since i have a new motor, only 2k miles on it so the springs are still good. but will the 262H cam be good for a N/A setup or for a turbo setup? i want to turbo the stang one day but i know there are "boost cams" and cams more for N/A so is a cam something id have to get when i do the turbo setup cuz i dont think there is a cam that is good for both
Anything bigger than a Comp 262's and you will need new valve springs doesn't
matter how new your engine is.
Comp 262's are the perfect camshaft for the NPI powerband N/A.
For a turbo application you will want custom grind camshafts.
Comp can make you custom grind camshafts to your specs.
Until you do get a turbo setup for your mustang the Comp 262's are the best choice N/A
with your NPI cylinder heads.

svtboy

Reaction score
Go with the Stock PI cams... Look at the specs of the crower npi stage 1 cams. They are almost the same as the stock pi cam. They are not worth $500 just find some $100 stock pi cams.

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
now if i get those they wouldnt work with a turbo setup right? so id HAVE to get those custom cams
what about if i run a SC setup, same thing? custom cams or cams for a SC rather.

OP
OP

96PonyGT

Reaction score
hm.....maybe just PI cams for me then......I just want to do it right the first time around....what would you do? would doing stage
with new springs be a good idea or a waste or should I just go with stock PI cams?
I hate being tossed between mods for my car

Pennywise2

Reaction score
96PonyGT said:
hm.....maybe just PI cams for me then......I just want to do it right the first time around....what would you do? would doing stage
with new springs be a good idea or a waste or should I just go with stock PI cams?
I hate being tossed between mods for my car
I know the feeling.
People don't realise that the stock PI cams are actually good mild camshafts.
You can fined PI cams in the classifieds for about $100-150
I would just go with the PI cams they are a great bang for the buck.

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
anyone answer my previous questions?

my95gtstang said:
now if i get those they wouldnt work with a turbo setup right? so id HAVE to get those custom cams
what about if i run a SC setup, same thing? custom cams or cams for a SC rather.

svtboy

Reaction score
Just go with the stock PI cams. The minimal amount you will gain with stage 2 cams on a stock motor arent worth the $5-600 you will spend on them.

Pennywise2

Reaction score
my95gtstang said:
anyone answer my previous questions?

my95gtstang said:
Either way you want camshafts that match your setup.
You will want custom grind blower cams if you go with supercharger
or you will want to get custom grind turbo cams if you decided to go
with a turbo kit sometime in the future.
I would give Comp Cams a call and see what custom grinds they can
make for you.
I have custom stage four grind camshafts in my STI and it runs great
with the turbo I use.

OP
OP

96PonyGT

Reaction score
yea, I figured spending the money on NPI cams might be a waste, im just thinkin if its expensive to put cams in then I
would go get some good ones the first time around, so there are no NPI cams that would be worth the money and to just go with
stock PI cams?

Pennywise2

Reaction score
96PonyGT said:
yea, I figured spending the money on NPI cams might be a waste, im just thinkin if its expensive to put cams in then I
would go get some good ones the first time around, so there are no NPI cams that would be worth the money and to just go with
stock PI cams?
Sure man you could go with the PI cams if want they are a
great bang for the buck.Slightly used stock PI cams can be found in
the classifieds for only $100-150.The stock PI cams are actually a
good mild cam and you will see a gain higher in the rpm's.
Just go with the PI cams for now and later on simply go to a different
spec cam for what you want to do with your car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online