Can I beat a stock cobra?

wiplash

New Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
93
Reaction score
0
I don't have any times or dyno numbers but from these mods could I beat a stock 94-95 cobra? And any guesses on rwhp?
Stock 94 GT block
95 cobra upper & lower intake
underdrive pullies
65 mm bbk tb
ported stock maf
k&n fipk
bypassed smog pump
1.7 crane rr's
1 5/8 shorties
2.5" off road h-pipe
american thunder catback
3.55 gears
b&m ripper
12 deg. timing
:-\

Also, will my RPM extender help me out a bit?
 

95CALI-5.0

Active Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2006
Messages
698
Reaction score
0
With those mods you can take a STOCK 94-95 cobra. Not to sure on what your RWHP will be.
 

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Retired Staff
Joined
Jan 10, 2006
Messages
11,861
Reaction score
58
Location
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
yea dont the stock 94-95 Cobras only have like 15hp more? You'll takem. Toss in the RPM extender it should help a bit from what I have heard plus if u can afford the gas 13-14* would prob help too unless your cars happy at 12.
 

97vertstang

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
2,879
Reaction score
1
cobras were underrated though. they usually put 220-240 rwhp.
 

wiplash

New Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
93
Reaction score
0
With the mods, I should be near 220-240 rwhp, shouldn't I?
 

Julian Moore

Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2006
Messages
151
Reaction score
0
You basically have your car set up like a 94/95 Cobra..the only thing you are missing is the 24 pound injectors and Cobra heads. So from that, I would say you are down 20 rwhp to a Cobra. I would say it depends on driving skills, but you driving the cobra then your car, I would guess the cobra would nose you out. The rpm extender is a nice tool, it won't increase your power though. What it will do it pull the shift retard in the car, which I could notice in miine right off the bat. Do you notice that slight hesitation around 5300 rpm...that's what I felt.
 

wiplash

New Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
93
Reaction score
0
Actually I haven't tried the extemder yet, car is still off the road. I want to try the car as is right now, then put the extender in to see if I notice any difference.
 

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Joined
Jan 12, 2006
Messages
23,204
Reaction score
2
With the extra hp you have and the gears, you should have not troulble with a stock corba.
 

Julian Moore

Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2006
Messages
151
Reaction score
0
Snakebit said:
With the extra hp you have and the gears, you should have not troulble with a stock corba.

First off..I am not hear to start a war..just learn and share. That beaing said, how do you figure the above statement?? He has the pulleys and exhaust, the Cobra has the heads and larger injectors? Stock Cobra's come with 3.08's and a tractionlocker he has 3.55's...I think that would be a tight race. That being said..yes I noticed the rpm extender immediatly, especially the pull in the upper rpms. Let me know if you like it.
Jules
 

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Joined
Jan 12, 2006
Messages
23,204
Reaction score
2
Julian Moore said:
Snakebit said:
With the extra hp you have and the gears, you should have not troulble with a stock corba.

First off..I am not hear to start a war..just learn and share. That beaing said, how do you figure the above statement?? He has the pulleys and exhaust, the Cobra has the heads and larger injectors? Stock Cobra's come with 3.08's and a tractionlocker he has 3.55's...I think that would be a tight race. That being said..yes I noticed the rpm extender immediatly, especially the pull in the upper rpms. Let me know if you like it.
Jules

On my 95 Gt I had ...........GT-40 intake, 70tb, Coldair, Pulleys, Motorsport headers, h-pipe, dynomax exhaust and 3:55's and ran consistent 13.20 to 13.30's on street BFG's. With the mods he has I don't think the Cobra would have any extra power that would result in it pulling harder that the GT with mods. For the gears even though its a small change the step up in tq multiplication would benefit the GT enough to make a difference in how it would cover the quarter mile compared to the stock gears in the Cobra. I remember how well my 95 ran and to be honest that is why I feel so strongly about my previous statement, the mods I listed is ALL that my GT had and low 13's was a normal thing all day long..........when was the last time you seen a 94-95 (with the exception of the 95 Cobra R) cobra run low 13's stock? His set-up is VERY similar to what I had with the upper being the only thing diffrent and I do feel that his cast upper is not as good as the tubular upper I had on mine. He may be a few horses short with that, but he still has the power there to out perform a stock cobra I believe.
 

Julian Moore

Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2006
Messages
151
Reaction score
0
13.20's is an amazing time with a stock headed heavy ass 95GT.. I tip my hat to you!! I was running 13.4 -13.7s's in a very similar setup, on Nitto DR"S. That was powershifting and running 1.8 60 foot times. I would have to say that car you had was the exception to the rule..well done!! :banana:
 

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Joined
Jan 12, 2006
Messages
23,204
Reaction score
2
Julian Moore said:
13.20's is an amazing time with a stock headed heavy ass 95GT.. I tip my hat to you!! I was running 13.4 -13.7s's in a very similar setup, on Nitto DR"S. That was powershifting and running 1.8 60 foot times. I would have to say that car you had was the exception to the rule..well done!! :banana:

Well this was over the fall season so the air was perfect, the spare/jack was removed and any time I go to the track I always have the gas on E so no extra weight is going with me down the track. For the record I did have springs, LCA's and skinnies up front not that those items add hp but they do aid in the performance in the 1320. Your not the first person to compliment me on those times but from what I have seen myself at the local tracks, the 94-95 GT's with the same mods run low 13's to mid 13's on a regular basis, with the lower et's going to the more experienced drivers. I cant remember my 60ft time but I know my 1/8th mile was a 8.43 ( the guys around here all compare cars by their eighth mile time rather than the quarter.......go figure ::))

For the starter of this thread driving is very important when your talking about two cars pretty closely matched , if your a good driver you should be OK, but if your skills behind the wheel aren't so hot.........you may be in trouble. :eek:
 

94gtstang50

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2006
Messages
2,044
Reaction score
0
I don't see why people like 1/8 mile tracks so much. Personally, I think its like comparing the 55m sprint to the 100m sprint back in high school. That extra 45m determined if you were really performing and in shape or not. The extra 1/8 mile determines if you have a good gear ratio or not. Hell, if I was racing on 1/8 mile tracks, I'd just drop in 6:50 gears with like 14 inch wide slicks.
 

Z28 This

Active Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2006
Messages
458
Reaction score
0
you can take a stock cobra with those mods....POSSIBLELY a lightly modded one...honesty ALL it depends on is the driver...ive seen a way underrated car kill a higher hp car just due to the driver....


for example when my car had gears/exhast i raced a full bolt on 94 cobra...from down low we were pretty even...up high around 45+ he was SLIGHTLY a head of me and won by not much...
 

wiplash

New Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
93
Reaction score
0
I'm just talkin if I drove my GT and then I drove a cobra, would they be comparable or would one beat another.
 

Julian Moore

Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2006
Messages
151
Reaction score
0
wiplash said:
I'm just talkin if I drove my GT and then I drove a cobra, would they be comparable or would one beat another.



With your gears you would pull a bit harder..I'll stick with what I said..very close with you driving both!! Get the extender in yet??
 

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Joined
Jan 12, 2006
Messages
23,204
Reaction score
2
94GtStAnG5o said:
I don't see why people like 1/8 mile tracks so much. Personally, I think its like comparing the 55m sprint to the 100m sprint back in high school. That extra 45m determined if you were really performing and in shape or not. The extra 1/8 mile determines if you have a good gear ratio or not. Hell, if I was racing on 1/8 mile tracks, I'd just drop in 6:50 gears with like 14 inch wide slicks.

The reason here in southeastern NC is simple, we have 2 1/8th mile tracks 30 miles from us and the closest 1/4 mile track is 80 miles away. Everybody would rather drive 25 minutes instead of almost a hour and a half just to go time run. I like the quarter numbers better since you get the whole run on paper including the 1/8th but we usually go in a group of 6 or more so the majority rules. We make a trip up to Coastal Plains (the 1/4 track) about every 4 months to take a trip down the 1320.
 

94gtstang50

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2006
Messages
2,044
Reaction score
0
I guess I'm a hardcore bastard then b/c I'm driving 150 miles to the 1/4 mi strip. But then again, you guys probably run a hell of a lot more. Do they charge you $13 instead of the $26 to race on the 1/4 strip?
 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
75,006
Messages
1,454,392
Members
13,631
Latest member
ninman8

Members online

Top