can't get the rear calipers apart

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
When backing out the piston you shouldn't need the brake pad shaped plate. That's used only when seating the piston. You just need the correct sized circular adapter, and the screw thingie that attaches to it via the little nubs. Then just turn counter-clockwise, like you are unscrewing a bolt.

I was only able to turn it backwards maybe a 1/4 turn and then it stopped. Do it hit it with the air then or is it just frozen? It turns clockwise fairly easily but as soon as you go the other way you get a 1/4 turn.

kb1982

Reaction score
Try cycling the parking brake lever. It turns the bolt inside which forces the piston to move outwards.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I was only able to turn it backwards maybe a 1/4 turn and then it stopped. Do it hit it with the air then or is it just frozen? It turns clockwise fairly easily but as soon as you go the other way you get a 1/4 turn.

Try cycling the parking brake lever. It turns the bolt inside which forces the piston to move outwards.

^ Try this. The process in the manual is to keep turning it counter-clockwise. It will eventually unscrew. I will double check again tonight, and post up the disassembly instructions per the manual. But it says just unscrew it. Maybe it's getting caught up on some dirt or something?

nitroram33

Reaction score
Also, if you haven't already, bolt it back down to the bracket on the axle so the caliper can't go anywhere and you can get a little more umph on the handle.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
finally got it figured out. The problem was that when I backed them out the threads on the piston where bigger then the ones on the tool so I had to back it out a 1/4 turn till it was tight against the took, then with my wrench I would turn the back stop that held it tight to create a little more space between the tool and the piston and then I could get it another 1/4 turn. Is it supposed to be tight as hell? I had to use my channel locks on the handle to get enough torque to make it turn and had to wonder if something wasn't wrong. Oh well off for powder coat now finally....

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
no doubt that after I finally got them out I flipped the calipers off with both hands while saying "F-you you POS"!

Dropped them off at the powder coater and he didn't have the copper color I wanted in stock. He tried to steer me to a little different texture then a smooth one as he had that in stock but when he found out I understood I would have to pay for custom colors in full up front and it would take longer since they had to get it. I had him order enough so I can have my wheels done as well so they will match perfectly. We finally found a burned copper color that looked good at least on screen, he is going to do a spray out so I can see it in person but I think this with a clear on top should look cool imo.

img6064f.jpg

I think my color is a tad darker but I think you get the idea. I will have to wait and see exactly how they come out.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Damn it sucks it will be a week or two as I can't wait to see it. REally has me thinking about wheels now, I am selling my saiga 12 gauge and will be getting paid for my truck shortly.... I still need to spend some money on the motor for tunes and some other little/expensive crap though and had planned on converting the shotgun cash into gold since it was down now.