Car keys got stolen...

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
Some assholes broke into my house today and stole my wife's extra car key and the keys to my Cobra.

To Make it worse they came back and stole my wifes car later in the evening...

My Cobra is still in the garage but now I have no keys or fob to unlock it and turn off the alarm

Any suggestions for getting around PATS and getting it going again?

Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

01yellercobra

Reaction score
You can get a tune with the PATs turned off. But you're still SOL for a key. You should be able to call a locksmith to come out and cut and program new keys. Had to do that with our Mountaineer years ago when the wife thought she dropped the keys at the park.

In the mean time I'd keep something big and heavy parked in front of the garage.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would disconnect the starter myself. Just pull the fuse but that is a temp solution. As for how to fix the key/pats situation that is a different beast.

OP
OP
D

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
For now I have my Jetta parked in front of the garage. I am going to go out later and put the rear on jackstands so that just in case someone manages to get in the garage they can't just drive away.

The car is locked and the PATS turned on, way to get the hood up without setting off the alarm.

I am going to call the Ford dealer when they open and see what they say...

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
short of destroying the current lock cylinder on removal I am not sure what can be done short of replacing the column which might be needed because of damage from removal.

I considered hotwiring the ignition to use the tuner to turn pats off but I am not sure if pats needs to be on/active/working to be turned off.

RedTwilight

Reaction score
You might be able to slip something down between the window and the weather stripping to hit the unlock button.
Then you'll have the problem for getting a new key.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I didn't see that the doors are locked. our cars are some of the easiest to break into. I did it with a twig from a tree one time. Just take a coat hanger and it slides easily between the window and the rear seal. I have seen where some lock rods stick up enough that with a hook on the end of the coat hanger you can grab the rod and pull it up, or as he said try to hit the unlock button.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about that
Change every lock on the house , cars and get a security system from hell
Dam crooks need to have there hands chopped off with a chop saw

PinkieT

Reaction score
Guy came into work to see if he could buy or borrow a tool to unlock his late model F150 he left his keys in. We had one, a steel strap with hooks at one end and a slot in the other that slides between the window and weatherstrip. Took him only a few minutes. https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...k-end-75491/11393853-P?searchTerm=unlock+tool. That at least will get you into the car. Either way, put it on jackstands and hide the wheels, it ain't going nowhere.

OP
OP
D

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
Changed the locks already, got a bunch of security cameras with motion detection that will alert our phones. Asshole came in through a tiny bathroom window that wasn't alarmed.

Called pop a lock yesterday but haven't connected with someone yet. Their website say they can deal with transponder keys so we'll see. Wife's car had full coverage. I have my daily driver Jetta in front of the garage door so they can't come back for the cobra before it get re-keyed.

Luckily none of our 4 cats got out. The wife has the 357 ready in case the jerks come back.

I hate thieves...

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Changed the locks already, got a bunch of security cameras with motion detection that will alert our phones. Asshole came in through a tiny bathroom window that wasn't alarmed.

Called pop a lock yesterday but haven't connected with someone yet. Their website say they can deal with transponder keys so we'll see. Wife's car had full coverage. I have my daily driver Jetta in front of the garage door so they can't come back for the cobra before it get re-keyed.

Luckily none of our 4 cats got out. The wife has the 357 ready in case the jerks come back.

I hate thieves...

Events like this is why I’m in business. Not to rub salt in wounds but you fortify one of my biggest arguments with customers. They always say they’re not worried about arming every window that someone can get into and I explain that crazy shit happens. They think I’m just trying to sell them something. What they don’t realize is we lose a ton of money up front on the install. We don’t make money until about the second or third year in service.

I hate hearing this happened but I’d say you have a pretty good head start on protecting yourself from it happening again.

Hopefully your cameras don’t have the default password in them. Most people don’t change that and it leaves you very vulnerable. I can drive through neighborhoods and you’d be surprised how many people’s homes have all default logins on their networks and security devices and I walk up to their door and simply show them how easy it is to gain access. I simply ask them to change these logins and I say have a nice day and walk away. I’ve gotten a few calls from people late who got my info and asked me to look over their entire setup because I showed them they weren’t secure and they liked I didn’t try to sell them anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip about the passwords, I did change it when when I set up the system. Not that suprised that it happened, we just never really thought much about it until now. Pop a lock is coming over this afternoon and they say they can make new keys and get me a new remote.

Learn from my mistake guys and hide your extra keys somewhere safe that they won't easily be found...

OP
OP
D

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
Getiing the car going again was a lot easier than I thought. It took the Pop a lock guy about an hour to get into the car and have new keys made. Now the old key will not start the car so I don't have to worry about it being driven away... I had to order new remotes. It wasn't nearly as expensive as I thought it would be.

My drivers side door lock was damaged a couple of years ago when some other A-hole tried to steal my car out of the driveway in the middle of the night. I bought new door locks a while back from LMR but I still need to install them.

It's a bummer that some people are so willing to steal your stuff but that is the world we live in...

I wish I had known earlier how easy it is to get new keys and fobs since my car only came with one.

Shaggy

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Glad it was easy to get new keys. Did they steal anything else while they were in your house?

OP
OP
D

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
My wife's jewelry, couple of iPods, change..
Luckiy they didn't into the garage where I have bikes, tools and the Cobra.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
I’m sorry about your luck man, hopefully you have insurance that takes care of the losses. I can’t imagine how vulnerable it makes a person feel getting their property intruded on. Glad you got the cobra keys sorted out and they didn’t get into the garage.

My only recommendation is to get a few big obnoxious dogs... It’s a horrible idea if you don’t want a high maintenance security system but our 3 mutts give me peace of mind with my odd schedule.

Wood's 5.0

Reaction score
I hope not to be admonished by admin but D!@# a thief! Sooner or later, they will try to steal stuff someone actually worked for and that person will give them lead poisoning and rid the world of their sorry @$$. Until then, however, the best thing that can happen to a sorry thief is they run into this guy on their next camping trip.
Weee.jpg

Reaction score
I would bet that the thieves were teenagers , they took only easy stuff and the keys to come back if they decide to joyride. They ignored all of your garage stuff which has a great deal of value and can be fenced just as easily as electronics. Glad you got all your keys straightened around

OP
OP
D

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
Good thing they missed the garage. In addition to the Cobra I have all of my bikes out there... A$$holes!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online

No members online now.