car problem? question...

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
hey guys, well quick post here.. i have something else to do atm.. i was driving about 30 minutes ago coming home and i saw a buddy of mine in his harley davidson truck.. we were at a red light, i was turning left and he was waiting in line at the red light, well my lane went first so i ended up passing him.. well i passed him and decided id rev it up just to mess around with him and i did so, it got up to about 6k, a bit high but i did it accidentally as i was trying to wave and look at him so i wasn't paying attention.. soo when i revved up my car, my clutch pedal pulled itself to the floor and went all the way to the floor and as the RPMs came back down, the pedal slowly came back to my foot... what gives?? any ideas? :dunno: :-\

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
Check your motor mounts. When you juiced it the touque from the motor might have shifted it enough to do something strange. My olny thought at the moment.

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
ohhh.. wow that doesn't sound to fun if thats what happend.. maybe that did happen because when we lowered the car for the night while the tranny was out and in the garage and stuff, we didn't have the motor supported (as many times as i told my dad to do it...) soo maybe something came loose then and now it did that... if something did shift, what could that possibly mean?

and how do i exactly go about checking this? i'd like to do this by myself after school one day because my dad will probably just say "its fine" so id rather just check it myself.. thanks for the help matt, it seems i can always count on you for some info..

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
You will have to crawl underneeth and do a visual inspection of the rubber mount while trying to pry up on the engine. If the rubber is torn it may be very easy to spot without prying on the engine. Or you could get somebody to juice the gas pedal and watch to see if the engine lifts from the torque.

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
so when i get up under there, and say there is no rip.. what would you suggest i use to pry the engine with...

and when you say have someone step on the gas, do i need to be looking underneath to see if it lifts up? or just watch the engine with the hood opened up and see if it moves.. i know the engine moves with the hood open when i rev it using the lever on the TB but im almost positive thats normal...

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
The engine is supposed to move a little bit. Torque from the engine will expand the rubber in the mount.

If you have somebody hit the gas for you, do it on the floor with the hood up so you can see if the engine jumps. If they are bad you should be able to tell. You may also get excessive movement in the gear shifter as well. You might be able to do it on your own by looking between the hood and the cowl.

You could also try jacking up on the engine if you can find a safe place to do it without damaging anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online