Car Storage

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 97svt#799, Oct 29, 2014.

1. 97svt#799

97svt#799 New Member

Not sure how many of you store your cars for the winter, mine will be hibernating here in the next few weeks. I've been reading online about parking the car on plastic sheeting on garage floors that tend to draw moisture. It is supposed to keep moisture from getting to the underside of to car. Has anyone else heard of this? I'm thinking about trying it since I have access to sheeting from work.

2. 1bad95

1bad95 Well-Known Member

mine will also be parked in a few weeks. gonna be up on jackstands in the garage. Never heard of the plastic sheeting before.

3. Orange 94

Orange 94 Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

Does your garage really have that much moisture?

I've never done that. I don't even cover my car. It gets fuel stabilizer and and started every 2 - 4 weeks.

4. Burninriverdiver

Burninriverdiver Well-Known Member

I see no drawbacks trying out the plastic sheet, especially if you have access to the plastic at work. I'd try it too if I was you. On a side note this thread depresses me thinking about the long crappy winter and watching the holes in my truck bed get bigger each week lol

5. 03DSGGT

03DSGGT SN95 Supporting Member

I park my Mustang on plastic sheeting and 3/4" plywood. Both are great at blocking/sucking up the moisture. I learned that trick a few years ago when the bottom of my '68 Charger would be totally wet from condensation during the winter. Ever since then Ive parked the Charger and the Mustang on plastic and wood and they have been bone dry ever since...

6. whiplash473

whiplash473 Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

Depends on how much of a show-car you have. Even with all of the work I've put into mine I simply let it sit in the garage. Someone who has gone what I like to call "stupid custom" with chrome everything under the car then yeah, then this is a good idea. For the regular guy without a $100k show-car with 12k miles on it... don't worry about it.

I back it into the garage, pull the ebrake, disconnect the negative battery cable, and it sits for the winter with a full tank of gas mixed with StaBil.

7. Orange 94

Orange 94 Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

Do you guys really have that much moisture in the winter? I guess we have plenty of the white stuff, but very low humidity.

Also, why do people park their car with a full tank? to get the mixture correct?
    I usually leave <1/8th in my car. This year I did a bit more because it pissed me off so I parked it. I usually guestimate the stabilizer. I dunno, I would like to run as little of the "garbage" gas as possible and get fresh stuff in there asap.

8. kb1982

kb1982 Active Member

Full tank of gas means less air in the tank, and moisture and air cause rust. With the right amount of Stabil in the tank, a full tank of gas will be pretty good a year later. For that tank you will get less fuel milage though. After a year of my motorcycles been parked while deployed, theyran just as good as when I left them, but I did get about 25 less miles on that tank.

9. 97svt#799

97svt#799 New Member

The barn my car is going in has 3 other cars in it and the floor gets very wet on warmer winter days.

10. whiplash473

whiplash473 Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

I don't even let my tank get that low when I drive it, definitely not for storage.

11. Musturd

Musturd Legend

I've used filter cloth before but my ship is heated so my cars safe

12. duff daddy

duff daddy Legend

67 mustang in here

[​IMG][/IMG]

Race car in here [heated]
    [​IMG]

13. torch318

torch318 Active Member

[​IMG]

Have you guys ever seen these or know someone who uses one?

14. DeepList

DeepList Administrator Admin SN95 Supporter

I always thought it was best to park the car with the least amount of fuel possible in the tank, mixed with some stabilizer (starting it periodically through the winter) and then fill it with fresh gas in the spring... at least that's what I've been doing this whole time.

15. duff daddy

duff daddy Legend

OLD DAYS YES!!!

Now with ethanol and if the car isnt in heated storage you can get some nasty results. In small engines ie mowers/blowers/bikes ect Id suggest you use VP Small engine Ethanol Free fuel. You can also use this for your car but at 8:00/gallon it tens to get pricey.

16. toto88

toto88 New Member

I back it into the garage, pull the ebrake, disconnect the negative battery cable, and it sits for the winter with a full tank of gas mixed with StaBil.

17. g36 monkey

g36 monkey Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

Yea if you read the sta-bil bottle it says "park the car with a full tank to avoid moisture build up"

I'll be storing my car, but not because winter, or whatever you guys are talking about. Because racecar lol

18. SCHNAKE

SCHNAKE Member

Sta Bil has a new product called 360. It protects above and below the fuel line so you don't need a full tank. I just put some in with only a quarter tank of gas. spent 2 hours detailing and put the car cover on. See you in the spring buddy:( I hate winter.

19. GRAFIX

GRAFIX New Member

Just stored mine. Tarp on floor. Wheels on wood planks. Added Stabil and filled tank. Diehard battery maintainer hooked up. Baking soda box inside and a few dryer sheets inside. Car cover. Oil changed.

[​IMG]

20. 97svt#799

97svt#799 New Member

Filled the toy box up today, always kinda a depressing day. Nighty night.[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]