Car won’t start, gives one “click” noise

Cobralove

Reaction score
Hello all,

Brand new into learning to drive stick. Stalled a few times in my newly purchased 96cobra. On the last stall it was super jolty and shakey. After that now when I go to turn the car on you hear a obvious “click”. It’s just one click. The battery is good. What could be the culprit? Could the wire that connects by the starter have come loose or anything like that ? What are the culprits that cause this? Any input is greatly appreciated.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
what voltage does the battery show? Start simple and wack your starter a few times with wrench and see if that loosens it up. If it doesn't then get out your BFH and repeat.

OP
OP
C

Cobralove

Reaction score
what voltage does the battery show? Start simple and wack your starter a few times with wrench and see if that loosens it up. If it doesn't then get out your BFH and repeat.
Battery is around 12.4 V , also tried it with a jump and it’s the same thing. One click. So I know the battery isn’t the culprit. Since it’s getting one distinct click I assume the solenoid is fine because it is making the click sound, which it needs power to do. So I’m thinking it’s either a loose connection going to the starter or the starter itself. However the starter has started every time and strongly before this event happened. Which makes me think some wire came loose when the car stalled hard and made a jolty type movement .

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if you suspect a loose wire then get up under it and check it out. if there is no loose wiring then try wacking it as its not uncommon that they get bound up.

OP
OP
C

Cobralove

Reaction score
if you suspect a loose wire then get up under it and check it out. if there is no loose wiring then try wacking it as its not uncommon that they get bound up.

Okay will do, thanks for the tips. Also what does BFH mean. You said in the first post “if it doesn’t then get out your BFH and repeat”

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yes start small, the plastic on a screw driver, then a wrench, then the bfh, then use both hands....

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Don’t forget cuss words. It won’t work without at least one busted knuckle and lots of cuss words

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Ive witnessed plenty of rotted selenoids. The plastic ends crack and break.

PinkieT

Reaction score
"Don’t forget cuss words. It won’t work without at least one busted knuckle and lots of cuss words"

And at least one misplaced tool, and a nut or bolt that is dropped never to be seen again... :(

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online