Catalytic converter anti-theft?

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
My wife has an SUV so it’s on the hit list for catalytic converter theft. Couple people we know already are victims. Apparently takes thief’s about 5 minutes and they’ll do it day or night. Pretty brazen. Anti-theft suggestions include etching your license plate number on the cat. (1) can’t thieves just scratch it out with their own etching tool? And (2) the black market places that’ll buy stolen cats likely don’t give a crap of it has your license plate number on it. They just want the precious metals inside it.

But I am wondering if anyone here has gotten or is using a kit or a plate to protect your cat (Mustang or otherwise)? If so, what brand(s) and do you feel it’s a viable deterrent?

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I’m actually not too worried about the cats on the Stang. Thing is only 4.5” off the ground so they can’t get up under there anyhow! It’s really my Ram 1500 and wife’s Grand Cherokee.

OpalFrostGT

Reaction score
Living out in the country, most folks have a mean dog. I have heard welding barb wire helps...at least slows down the thief while the dog "takes aim at the jewels"...
Life has gotta be FUN! Enjoy the day!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I live in orchard country and have 2 big dogs! I’m more concerned about going into town, parking lots, etc

Chip66

Reaction score
Too bad the exhaust is grounded. An ignition coil wired up to it would be fun.
Hmm... They make 12V electric fence chargers for farm animals that run for weeks on a battery. String the hot wires hanging just below the car. Add the 1970's dragging ground straps and they won't even have to touch the car to complete the circuit.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
a quick search and I was a little surprised to see that there are a number of places making precut metal pieces that you can bolt over it to slow them down.
Saw many of the same. Mostly for Prius’

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Scott,
I think that’s the plan. I’ll mock up one for each then find a welding shop and see what they’d charge.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would try to just have a bolt on solution first myself. Realistically anyone getting under your car is going to have the tools to cut though metal, but its doubtful that they will have a wrench or ratchet to take them off. Welding them in place is only making it harder on yourself when it does need to come off. Your just hoping that when they get under there they will see its more work then they planned and hopefully they will move on

joemomma

Reaction score
The crackheads (is that PC anymore, considering it's meth these days?) use a battery powered sawz-all and are in and out in just a couple of minutes.

OpalFrostGT

Reaction score
What is considered "PC" is of No cocern to me! Treating each other with mutual respect Is important! Crackhead is a moniker earned by drug fueled thieves. No less, no more.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Scott,
I agree. Maybe use break-away bolts?

Rons95GT

Not a new member
Reaction score
Is this a problem everywhere? My Mustang doesn’t have cats but my newer truck does.

TrickVert

Reaction score
Scott,
I agree. Maybe use break-away bolts?
Breakaway bolts would be no better than welding. The idea is that by being bolted on, it would be removable for maintenance, etc. If you think you need an anti-theft solution for that, Torx or even safety-Torx fasteners would probably be effective. As said above, you're just trying to make your car/truck more of a hassle than the one parked two spots over.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if you want to get cray cray I think they make some security bolts that you could use but the chance of them being under the car with the wrench removing them is pretty minimal. Maybe tach it one or two spots if you want but just a good looking cage with a lease a few bolts holding it in should scare off most crack heads.