Changes to come....

Cochise

Reaction score
Had a great outing this past weekend at NCM motorsports park. This is considered my "home" track as I'm only an hour away and have the most track time there compared to other places. The car did really well overall. A completely different animal than the VW GTI's/R's that I'm used to. My lines were completely different in a lot of areas and I had to learn how to properly use a manual (vs. DSG in the VW). Add to that having to get used to a slightly heavier RWD car, there was a lot of learning on my part.

It was slower than my VW's, but that's not too surprising given it the slight increase in weight and it's underpowered in comparison to the VW's. Not to mention the suspension set-up was much better as well.

I will say though, Gonzo was much more fun though, despite being slower. There was much more of a feeling that I was driving the car and that my input mattered more. The overall feeling and engagement was more thrilling than the VW's

Some general thoughts, and I know this will seem like a lot, I'll keep researching the forum as well to see if some of these answers.

Brake pads - This is definitely an area that I want to improve on. I used the EBC bluestuff and while I felt confident with them I'd like to try something else. Also, I'm used to a set of pads getting me through at least 2 events. These barely lasted the event and I had to sit out some time. I missed out on 2 full sessions cause they were toast by Sunday afternoon and I wanted to make sure I was good for the 70 mile drive home.

Brakes - Is the Cobra R front brake kit worth? I'm hesitant to go with something crazy like a Baer or Wilwood kit. This is not going to be a competition car, but I would like better brakes.

Tire set up - Right now I'm running 17x9/10.5 (F/R) with 275/315. I would like to go with a square set up so I can rotate tires as needed. Plus after talking with MM, they said the 315's in the rear would likely cause some understeer due to the extra grip in the back pushing the car when I want to turn. They were right. I tested this by keeping the clutch in on a couple turns to see what would happen and it definitely reduced understeer when it was in. I've seen a few people go with a square 315 set up, which I would love to do, but not sure I have the time (or know-how) to accomplish this. My thoughts are to go with a 18x9.5 cobra R set up with 275's all around.

This is a car I plan to be able to drive daily if I want to, so please keep that in mind with your suggestions and input.

Thanks everyone!

M2.jpgM1.jpg

T1.jpg

Here are the front tires after the weekend.

Here is the video of my best time.

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
A 315 square setup is possible on a New Edge Mustang (depending on ride height and mods). I run 315 Rival S 1.5 tires on my 2 New Edge autocross cars. Here's a video that shows how I got them to fit without cutting, rolling or flaring the front fenders. Due to loose production tolerances, this might not work on every New Edge Mustang.

My cars are IRS-swapped, and I need to use spacers in the rear. I didn't have to cut, roll or flare the rear fenders.

OP
OP
C

Cochise

Reaction score
Thanks Warhorse! I follow you on YouTube! Love your cars!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online