cleaning IMRC 96-98 cobra

Bianner

Reaction score
so the cobra has been acting up again. i thought it was the o2 sensors because i drove over something and it cut up a wire from the mils i made so i re did them made them look nice and what not. and it was still acting up so i hooked it up to the reader and it gave me p1519 IMRC STUCK CLOSED so i searched and decided to clean them. found this article http://www.svtmustangcobraclub.com/media/pdfs/tech/IMRC_Cleaning.pdf

2011-03-08173715.jpg

2011-03-08181158.jpg

IF U SEE IN THE MIDDLE THERE IS A UNPLUGGED WIRE THAT GOES TO A SENSOR OR SOMETHING CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT IT DOES IT WAS UNPLUGGED AND IDK WHAT IT DOES. JUST CURIOSITY I PLUGGED IT BACK IN
2011-03-08192247.jpg

2011-03-08192316.jpg

2011-03-08192346.jpg

2011-03-08192417.jpg

2011-03-08193512.jpg

2011-03-08220254.jpg

I WAS PUTTING EVERYTHING BACK TOGETHER WHEN I NOTICED THAT ONE OF THE GASKETS WAS MESSED UP SO I GOTTA WAIT TILL TOMORROW TO FINISH :(

Mystic SVT

Reaction score
I'm assuming the plug your talking about is the connection to one of the knock sensors.

I know there is a way to check to see if the IMRC controller is still working. A lot of the times the controller is what goes out and it will give you a code for stuck IMRC's. Mine had gone out on my car so I just went ahead and made IMRC deletes.

OP
OP
B

Bianner

Reaction score
Mystic SVT said:
I'm assuming the plug your talking about is the connection to one of the knock sensors.

I know there is a way to check to see if the IMRC controller is still working. A lot of the times the controller is what goes out and it will give you a code for stuck IMRC's. Mine had gone out on my car so I just went ahead and made IMRC deletes.

How,????????????????

BigTang

Reaction score
either pull the butterflies off the shafts and put it back in like that or pull the shafts entirely and plug the holes left by the shaft with epoxy. Most people are stuck w/ a light on once they do it though.

Venomous96Cobra

Reaction score
OP
OP
B

Bianner

Reaction score
I,m gonna test it with a volt meter. And can someone find me an article on how to do the imrc delete? I can't find a step by step one.

Mystic SVT

Reaction score
Making IMRC deletes is not very difficult, you need to remove the butterflys off the rods and once that is done the rods can come out. You will basically end up with just the bare composite IMRC plates. Use expoxy to close up all the holes left open from removing the rods. The IMRC controller (bolted to bottom of intake) will need to be removed along with the IMRC cables. You will get a code for the IMRC's but they can be turned off if you plan to get the car tuned.

On my car I used industrial strength JB weld since mine are aluminum, but you will have to use epoxy since the 98s came with plastic/composite IMRC plates.

OP
OP
B

Bianner

Reaction score
what would be the gains of deleting these??

Mystic SVT

Reaction score
Actual gains are minimal, only about 2hp gain on the top end, but since Ford doesn't offer the actuator anymore and having to take them out to clean them every 60k miles because they gunk up makes deleting them your best bet. Also, non working/stuck IMRC's will rob you of a lot of horsepower from 3450 RPMs up to the redline. Also, if you ever go with forced induction having deletes will be better since there will be nothing obstructing air flow.

Mystic SVT

Reaction score
^^you might feel a loss in torque from idle to 3450rpm, but if you have gears (4.10s-4.56s) you will most likely not notice the loss. Once you get past 3450rpm there is no loss since that is about where the IMRCs would open up the secondary ports to allow full airflow to both intake valves.

OP
OP
B

Bianner

Reaction score
and is there any way to do it without a tune. I saw somewere u can use a relay