cleaning IMRC

blksnake

<font color="pink">Senior Member</font>
Reaction score
anyone have a writeup on this? im gonna clean em this weekend. ive read a few writeups buttttttt idk if anyone here has any other tips

Twics97

Reaction score
I don't have a write up, but when I did mine I used a haynes book to refer too. It's not that bad to do, I just take pictures of the way everything is before I take it apart ( just in case I don't remember how it goes back together) and put bolts in separate baggies and label what they go to.

IMAG0342.jpg

After Qusing brake cleaner and I did a little extra cleaning with a dremel.

IMAG0367.jpg

atlanticblue98

Reaction score
I would just delete them when you have them out. Chances are they are disgusting abd the controlling box may not even be working.

The bracket the holds the cable to my driver side imrc plate was completely trashed and unusable so to delete mine, I cleaned all I could and unbolted the valves off of the rod that runs through the plate. The rods keep it sealed from vacuum leaks and make it so you wouldn't gave to wait for jbweld or epoxy to dry.

I also just removed the controller box and wrapped up the connector and left it in the valley under the intake.

If done this way, you'll get a check engine light (I have one for it) and it won't fun to full potential until you get a tune.

For what it is worth, when my drivers side imrc was stuck closed, and my passenger side was just dirty, my car made 208rwhp and 257rwtq. After my deleted, without a tune, I made 269rwhp and 280rwtq. And still more can be gained from a tune

Twics97

Reaction score
i didnt put my gears in yet, i heard these cars are dogs stock with deletes -.

A lot of people on other forums said not to delete them unless you had at least 4.10's a tune or SC, that it would be sluggish off the start. I didn't want to take the chance so I just cleaned them and I could tell a difference.

My CEL never came on in mine, it just felt sluggish so I check to see if it would pull any codes and the code for IMRC's came up.

atlanticblue98

Reaction score
Like he said, sometimes the check engine light won't come on, but there are codes for broken imrc. You can physically grab the little throttles on the back of the intake and rotate them by hand to see if the are stuck.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
I did the delete on my 4v car and it's fine and fast out of the whole with 3.73's

OP
OP
B

blksnake

Reaction score
once i do my 410s im gonna delete it for sure. but i wanna feel the difference like u said before

Twics97

Reaction score
Code P1519 was the one that was showing up for the IMRC's

And that's good to know Mustard, because if I ever have another problem with them there gone :)

OP
OP
B

blksnake

Reaction score
atlanticblue98.. ur the reason im getting mac for the car. your video on youtube is amazing haha, are you running stock headers?

Mystic SVT

Reaction score
Atlanticblue, you just left the rods in place without the butterlflys? I'm surprised you haven't had any vacuum leaks yet. The rods simply pull right out without the butterflys in place.

I deleted mine and used industrial JB weld for mine. I let them sit overnight and installed them the next day. The industrial JB weld takes heat a lot better than regular JB. I also deleted them when I had 3.55s and I didn't notice much of a tq loss down low.

Here are mine
DSCN0710.jpg

atlanticblue98

Reaction score
pretty sure the screws in the 3 squares hold the rod in. before i put them in the car i had pulled as hard as possible on both plates to make sure they dont come out. they never budged. ive had the deletes in since last June, no leaks

98four.six

Reaction score
great..one more thing i have to tear apart lol. My car has 150k and i highly doubt they are remotely clean. If they open at all. Oh well, ill see this weekend how bad mine are.

So the consensus it that i should be fine with just cleaning them up and removing the butterflies? ill probably add the JB weld just in case but as far as drivability it should be fine. I have 373s.

massacre

Reaction score
Cleaning the IMRCs is only 1/2 the battle. The real crud is usually on top of the valves.
From no fuel spray to the secondary butterflies, they get buildup like this:

Secondary( no fuel spray) on left, intake valve with fuel spray on right.

pmot

Reaction score
Sorry to bring up an old discussion but I am having problems finding a gasket kit. I can find a felpro Intake gasket kit that includes the plenum but can not find anything for the other side of the imrc's. I have been to a few auto parts stores and have not had any luck. I went to ford and got their part number but i remember reading someone got a kit for $75.
Thanks for your help.

Mystic SVT

Reaction score
I got my IMRC gaskets (All 4) from the Ford dealer for under $50, why not just get them from Ford instead of trying to chase them down elsewhere?

pmot

Reaction score
I thought they would be a stupid price I guess not thanks.... amazing finish Indy 500!!!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chasingomas

Members online