cleaning IMRC

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
Sorry to bring this topic up from the dead.

I see everyone has stuck closed codes P1519. I have a code for stuck OPEN code p1519. Would that have to do with them being gummed up since I have only seen them stuck closed and gummed up, and not stuck open and gummed up? I can't find any threads of that nature or when I find an imrc stuck open thread the OP does not post whether cleaning them worked or not. My biggest fear is that one of the cables is frayed or just cut dry, and I have to delete them. I'm on limited time and do not want to open it and find the cables are cut.

OP
OP
B

blksnake

<font color="pink">Senior Member</font>
Reaction score
definitely ran a lot better; but i never know if i was getting a code for them, i just felt like they were sluggish and knew the car was never taken apart before that.

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
atlantic I've read your threads about your imrc woes before. What did you do as far as tuning? I don't want to go and get a dyno tune just for a delete. That's why in debating the delete.

Mystic SVT

Reaction score
I don't have a tune, still gained 61rwhp

I will use your post to let people know that you will only see these ^^^ results if your IMRC's are NOT working, if they are working correctly or even just opening a little late (500-1000rpm later) then you will only see roughly a 2hp increase in peak hp if you delete them. Some people think that by deleting them even if they are working that you will see a huge increase in hp/tq, thats not the case.

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
I don't have a tune, still gained 61rwhp

hmm that's bc they weren't working to begin with lol. you didn't just gain that from a delete. but i'm sure you already know that. you left the rods in correct? that's why you didn't need a tune, the.PCM still believes the IMRC are there. unless you fooled it another way.

I will use your post to let people know that you will only see these ^^^ results if your IMRC's are NOT working, if they are working correctly or even just opening a little late (500-1000rpm later) then you will only see roughly a 2hp increase in peak hp if you delete them. Some people think that by deleting them even if they are working that you will see a huge increase in hp/tq, thats not the case.

+1 I don't see why people don't understand that. its very easy to come to that conclusion using ones head lol. Good thing you posted it to prevent others who are reading this thread from misinformation.

mystic do you happen to know anything about when getting a code for imrc stuck open? its not very common apparently. the threads I have found have led me nowhere. i'm not sure cleaning them will help. to me stuck open seems like an actuator problem or maybe one of the cables is cut dry.

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
I left the rods in, but the cables were frayed and broken. I completely removed the controller box. I have a code for imrcs, just no tune because I'm a broke 20 year old.

How are the rods being supported? I'd imagine with nothing to hold them in they'd move around? I've read of people tapping the IMRC and putting a screw in to hold them in lol. So it drives fine with the code? Is it a stuck open or closed code? Mines a stuck open and nobody has information on that matter. I don't want to open it and find out the controller box is dead or cut cables, than delete them and run like crap with no tune. I'm also about your age, 21, these cars are expensive to mod it's getting to me lol.

OP
OP
B

blksnake

<font color="pink">Senior Member</font>
Reaction score
good a lot of young cobra owners like myself lmfao

im not touchin the imrc's on this car tho.. they seem to be clean and in good working order

and it doesnt run like shit if you just take them out, you can either make your own or buy a set of deletes. either way itll be ok.. just to get the most out of it youll need a tune. to adjust the fuel and timing

atlanticblue98

Reaction score
How are the rods being supported? I'd imagine with nothing to hold them in they'd move around? I've read of people tapping the IMRC and putting a screw in to hold them in lol. So it drives fine with the code? Is it a stuck open or closed code? Mines a stuck open and nobody has information on that matter. I don't want to open it and find out the controller box is dead or cut cables, than delete them and run like crap with no tune. I'm also about your age, 21, these cars are expensive to mod it's getting to me lol.

i dunno, they dont remove. from what i remember, there are retainers inside the 3 square holes between the ports.

i had a code for the IMRC's a while back and i cant remember if it was a stuck closed or open, but i had cleared all my codes and it hasnt returned. now im only throwing codes for my o/r x-pipe with no MIL eliminators

96TANGERINEGT

Reaction score
this is why i would never buy a 96-98 cobra wtf r they even for ? (sorry danny) no effense ur car looks good but , why did ford put those in there just something else to go wrong .... wounder if u can delete them all together ? hmmmmmmm?

greenscobie86

Reaction score
Mine are working fine on my 96 so I plan on leaving them. Maybe a little seafoam...

If they did break I'd probably try to delete them though.

AnthonyF

Reaction score
this is why i would never buy a 96-98 cobra wtf r they even for ? (sorry danny) no effense ur car looks good but , why did ford put those in there just something else to go wrong .... wounder if u can delete them all together ? hmmmmmmm?
They were designed for easy daily driving. It helps create more tq in the lower rpms then opening up to really let the car breath at the top end.

Mystic SVT

Reaction score
A lot of the 3V motors use a setup similar to 96-98 IMRC's, also certain years of the 3.8L V6 use IMRC's, and also many of the dohc V6 motors use the exact same IMRC setup as 96-98 cobras/mark VIII.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online