Clock Gone Blue!

CanaryGT

Reaction score
First I want to thank Joekd. Without his Blue Film my clock would be icky green. So thanks again! I hope this writeup helps you guys!

Alright Boys and Girls.... I got My clock blue... And here is how:

Tools/Supplies Required:

Screwdriver (or ratchet) with a Torx bit.
Blue Lighting Film
Super Glue
Razor Blade
Dremel w/cutoff blade (Optional)
Lexan (Optional)

Step One: Take out your clock from your car By simply lifting from the front of your clock. It pops right out. Depress the white connector on the clock itself, and remove. Then I suggest bringing it to a table or workstation.

Step Two: With your clock pod facing away from you, you will see two (2) torx screws. Remove them to take out the clock assembly from the pod.

Step Three: After removing the clock from the pod, lay it down so you can see the factory sticker. In the image below, I marked where it needs to be cut so you can access the inside of the clock. Take the razor blade and slice the sticker, thus allowing you to open the assembly.

Step Four: On each side of the clock assembly, there are two (2) latches that need to be pulled upward to allow the front of the clock to be removed. On mine, I easily accomplished this with my fingers, if it is too hard, use a flat head screwdriver. Just dont pry too hard as they could break. After removing the latches the assembly just gets pulled apart. The digital display and buttons will stay with the back half, while the front comes off.

Step Five: Next take your piece of Blue Lighting Film (oh and I want to thank Joekd for giving me this. He made this all possible!) and cut it to the size of the screen. Lay it over the screen and secure it with a few SMALL drops of super glue. Now you can probably tape it, I found superglue to work great. After that, reassemble the clock. Keep it out of the pod for now.

The Image above is just the digital screen, the Image below is with the Blue Film secured and the top plastic piece re-assembled.

At this point you COULD just reassemble everything and that would be it. However I HIGHLY suggest that you use a clear piece of polycarbonate or Lexan to replace the tinted lens your car comes with from the factory. The lens simply comes out if you tap it from the outside of the clock housing. Here is some pictures of the housing with the stock lens, without it, and with the custom cut lexan piece.

This Image is with the piece of lexan inside of it. I used the Dremel on low speed with a reinforced cutting wheel to cut the lexan. You can tell its there because of the reflection.

Step Six: Reassemble. Everything should just go back the way it came apart. If not, well something went horribly wrong. Here's a picture of mine all back together.

Results: Well I took some night shots. First if My instrument cluster with wedge LED lights, next is my HVAC and Stereo with my Radar Detector and new Clock. Last two are of the clock, the very last one shows the difference in brightness and color depth compared to the Passport 9500ix.

joekd

Reaction score
The pics are VERY slow to load but your method is pretty much exactly what I did except I used a hot glue gun with super glue strength sticks

OP
OP
CanaryGT

CanaryGT

Reaction score
Pics load fine for me.... I guess I have 20 Meg Service so yeah..

MustangMoser

Reaction score
I knew I should have patented that. Pretty sure I was the first to do it and to sell the film.

OP
OP
CanaryGT

CanaryGT

Reaction score
If you want to. I dont have anymore blue film. I need to get some more. I have Plenty of Lexan.

JiMi_DRiX

Reaction score
You could try getting a list together, see if you can get 10-20 people to commit and mass do it. Maybe make a few bucks and be better than just doing a few? Just an idea!

Grim94GT

Reaction score
Me too!! :thumbsup: Gives the interior a whole new feel lol

OP
OP
CanaryGT

CanaryGT

Reaction score
Okay well Ill open it up. Ill post something in the classified section.

badass96gt

Reaction score
I tried it but I guess my film isnt dark enough blue cuz mine still looks greenish.

OP
OP
CanaryGT

CanaryGT

Reaction score
Yeah the first time I tried it I didnt use dark enough stuff and it will be green. I dont know the stuff I got cause Joekd gave me some..

Grim94GT

Reaction score
Ive been looking for blue film and I can find it anywhere.. Any ideas for where to look????

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinastang78

Staff online

Members online