Cluster removal electronic questions

RichV

Reaction score
So want to remove the stock gauge cluster in my 94 GT. Going with some Autometer gauges, and cleaning it up a little.

When I pull the cluster out, the alternator stops charging. I can see on my voltage gauge it drops from 14v to 12v. Plug it back in, charging is normal. What do I need to make the charging system work without the stock cluster connected?

The second thing, and the only reason I've kept the cluster long, is the fuel gauge. I have a Autometer that works with the Ford resistance and would be ideal to just pull the wires at the cluster plugs if possible.

Anyone done either mods? I'm not pulling up detailed enough wiring diagrams. I'm going to dig some more in my Chiltons, but I bet someone has done both of these.

Thanks!!

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
Found this today:

2 wires to jumper for the alternator to charge!!

Year
Harness #
Pin #
Wire colors
Circuit description
94-95
C250
C250
R/LG
LG/R
Ignition switch feed
Charge indicator
96-98
C250
C250
LG/R
R/LG
Charge indicator lamp
Power hot in start or run
99-01
C250
C250
LG/R
PK/BK
Charge indicator lamp
Power hot in start or run
02-04
C250
C250
LG/R
WH/LB
Generator/battery ind.
Voltage in start and run

Found it in a instructional diagram from Florida 5.0's gauge clusters.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am pretty sure if you look on the back side of the cluster there is a voltage regulator or something stupid that goes to the alt. Not sure if the charging light not being hooked up would cause a problem or not as the computer might see it as a bad warning light and shut it down.

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
Fox clusters do the same thing. Uplugging it stops the alternator from getting a 'charge' signal. I'll try out the jumper from the above table and report back.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I just got done rewiring my alternator under the hood because I will be running that big old bastard and an off board voltage regulator. I am not sure I HAD to hook up that wire but the regulator had the option so I did it.

Now don't forget one of the big wiring rules that you never tap a wire with out testing it first. Obviously the power wire will show 12v on it and the other one you can probably switch to ohms and measure the resistance of the bulb.

87hurricane

Reaction score
Rich, sorry I didnt see this sooner. I'll dig through some wiring diagrams at work today and let you know exactly what you need.

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
Rich, sorry I didnt see this sooner. I'll dig through some wiring diagrams at work today and let you know exactly what you need.

Sweet! I just finished my cluster and will be installing it this weekend.

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
Awesome! Appreciate it.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry I'm late to the party RichV, been gone a little while. I started this thread on the Cluster stuff, don't know if it will help or if you even need the info anymore... :(

Thread here.

jjltthomas

Reaction score
I’ve got one of the old Speedware White Gauge cover kits. The numbers are in blue which kills me because everything else is green. My question is if I get yellow LEDs for my cluster, will the numbers turn green? Don’t think I’m stupid it’s just as a kid we are taught yellow and blue make green, I just wasn’t sure it would work out this way yellow LED’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online