Cobra intake on GT

shovel

Reaction score
If they're the "Cobra" stamped covers those seem to command a lot of $$ on ebay.. I was hoping to find a reproduction set a while back when I started building my engine but nobody makes reproductions with the embossed stamp. Since they're no longer made, I guess the authentic ones are worth a bit. In case you want to factor re-selling into your maths.

As for the throttle body, 70mm is about the biggest I'd go with E7 heads, at some point you stop getting more peak flow and just wind up with a touchy pedal for the first half and nothing for the second half. I'm going to be installing a 65mm TB along with my X heads because for me personally driveability is more important than peak HP.

What I'm getting at is if the throttle body your local guy is offering is ~65 or 70mm that might be something to include/keep.. if it's larger or if it's stock, that would be less valuable in my opinion.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I can understand the love for cobra parts right up till the stamped valve covers unless you are just that dedicated to keeping it stock. If having cobra on a set of valve covers means that much to you I am about to engrave my fox body cast valve covers and I can write what ever you want on them for a lot less than what those go for. Realistically with the cobra intake on top not make people are going to take the time to look under it to see what the valve covers say.

shovel

Reaction score
At the time I was chasing a rumor that cobra stamped covers had more room for roller rockers, because my Scorpion rockers hit the GT bare covers (just barely) and I could not conclusively find any aftermarket covers which clear ALL of the following: roller rockers, alternator, intake manifold, oil filler location.

In the end I just shaved my rockers and kept the GT covers.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
You might also find out you would need a spacer between lower and top intake to clear stamped valve covers and longer intake bolts

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
correct mine did come of a newer cobra

i did see 1 95 cobra with the STB and that may have been added

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yes I am pretty sure M&Ms will fit around it but as he said they didn't come with them stock 94/95.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
A intake manifold alone won’t really net you any noticeable gains . I would be looking for some heads first or used Vortech . You can always do a small cam , and intake manifold to wake it up some

OP
OP
R

r1ch999999

Reaction score
This has gotten more responses than I expected. What I'd like to do is get new heads, intake, and a cam. I think with those three things I'd be about where I want to be for power. I have a convertible so a STB is a must for me, unless I really won't notice it during normal driving. I was looking at the Cobra intake because it seems pretty decent and it's 'in stock' compared to the stuff I see online.

shovel

Reaction score
A intake manifold alone won’t really net you any noticeable gains.

People say this but it doesn't resemble my first-hand experience. The difference above ~3k rpm is night and day.

I thought the trickflow intakes were new for about that price and flowed better?

For my own vehicle the reason I got a stock Cobra piece is the fit and appearance (integrated elbow). If it was about cost I'd have probably gone Explorer, if it was about max effort I'd have gone with one of the aftermarket intakes.

We've all got our own priorities.

shovel

Reaction score
This has gotten more responses than I expected. What I'd like to do is get new heads, intake, and a cam. I think with those three things I'd be about where I want to be for power. I have a convertible so a STB is a must for me, unless I really won't notice it during normal driving. I was looking at the Cobra intake because it seems pretty decent and it's 'in stock' compared to the stuff I see online.

I don't think cams are worth a whole lot on daily drivers, once you have basic aspiration handled with heads/manifold/etc. Seems like the majority of people buy them because they want a novelty idle sound - I can't understand that motivation at all, but you'll already have a fat torque curve with the stock cam. A racing cam is a lot of work and money for a power band you'll barely use if you're not just in pursuit of dyno numbers or competitive racing.

I have the MM strut bar on my 94, it fits fine past the Cobra manifold. The clearance around the oil dipstick could be better but it's OK too. My 96 V6 did not come with a strut bar, but my old GT bar bolts right in so.. score! Though I have to admit there's not like any consistent stretch of road or specific place I drive over where I can point to it and say THERE, THERE IS WHERE IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE.. it kinda hasn't made a difference. Both my cars are coupes.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
People say this but it doesn't resemble my first-hand experience. The difference above ~3k rpm is night and day.

For my own vehicle the reason I got a stock Cobra piece is the fit and appearance (integrated elbow). If it was about cost I'd have probably gone Explorer, if it was about max effort I'd have gone with one of the aftermarket intakes.

We've all got our own priorities.
I’ve lost count with how many shit box’s , I mean mustangs I’ve had over the years but When I did the cobra intake on my stock 90gt it wasn’t that much of a gain . I pulled it back apart and installed a e303 cam and some valve springs the following weekend .

The svo Motorsports intake on the red unit will be for sale shortly . Doing a 4150 style efi intake .
925234FA-3764-4C60-A0EE-1971D54FC3E7.jpegA0554EAC-B0DD-44CD-A54B-98F24D3E1681.jpeg

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
do you still have that intake thats in the yellow car
that intake brings back memories

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
5pointSL0

Members online