Heres my parts list.

96 Cobra T45, complete
96 Cobra T45 Harness
Cobra Crossmember and relocation brackets
OEM Clutch Cable
Cobra Pedal assembly
FRPP 6 bolt 10.5 inch flywheel
Cobra Driveshaft

Still need a speedo gear, a FRPP pilot bearing and a clutch kit, then im ready.

SVTstang96

Reaction score
I did a 3.8l Auto to a 4.6L cobra with 5 speed swap. Heres a list of parts you will need to swap transmissions.

Computer
Clutch Cable
Flywheel
Clutch
Transmission
Transmission Mount
Drive shaft
Clutch Pedal Assembly
Transmission Wiring Harness
Steering Column (It has a key release mechanism, almost like with the automatics how you cant remove the key with out it in park)
Transmission Tunnel (There is a layer that is spot welded on top of the original automatic tunnel that allows you to bolt the rubber shifter boot to the body)
Interior Shifter Surround

Here are some pics of the Transmission Tunnel I am talking about.

6296138.jpg

6296179.jpg

OP
OP
Orange Stang

Orange Stang

Reaction score
I dont think Ill need the steering column with the switch will I? Pretty sure No where ive read for the swap does it mention it

http://www.2kgt.com/item.php?itemid=105

I can tune my auto computer also for the 5 speed so the computer isnt an issue.

The tunnel piece is a new thing though

SVTstang96

Reaction score
If I remember right the transmission tunnel plate only only comes up about 1-2". You could probably get away with just bolting the boot to the original tunnel since it is rubber and will bend, but don't quote me on that, im not 100% sure on that. If it were me i would just go to a junkyard and get this, it will probably run you around $25, its easy to install and only needs to be spot welded in about 20 places. This is how it came from factory. To remove it you just need a drill bit, you simply drill the spot welds out and the piece will come right off, then place it on yours and re spot weld it. The steering column will be needed, i have both a auto and a 5 speed column in my garage. The automatic one has a cable running to the switch that will not allow you to remove the key unless it is in park. You can probably disable this and it will work fine, but also the 5 speed column has the safety switch that will not allow you or a friend messing around to turn the car off accidental while its in gear. This column will probably only cost $25-40 through craigslist if you can find someone who is parting one out, and while your there why not get the transmission tunnel piece.

6299315.jpg

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
You don't need the piece with the switch on the column. And yes they're right you don't need the piece for the tunnel. I did add that piece on my car Cus I ripped everything from the cobra on the other lift beside my car while I did the swap. I've done a bunch of 5spd swaps with out adding that piece. I'm doing one on a fox right now. All these guys whining about the pedal assembly being hard do one on a fox body lol the sn95 one is easy to do

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
The one kicker to the cobra cross member is all the crap with SFC's and how it gets in the way of everything. I will be dealing with that soon

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
I cut the tunnel with a air chisel and siliconed and used some sheet metal screws. Didnt care to weld it not being
Stuctual in anyway

OP
OP
Orange Stang

Orange Stang

Reaction score
i just talked to a friend who did the swap last year in his 96 GT, and was assured that i dont need the tunel piece, or the steering cvolumn.

So once I get a clutch, its a go!

I cant wait

JohnTaper

Reaction score
Yeah, looks like the tunnel piece is not a necessity and I took my column out. I will be posting pics of it and what can be done to make it work with the manual. I assume what most people do is just leave the cable in place on the column. I may or may not do that. If all the cable is doing is holding something forward or back, should be able to put something else in there that will keep it where it thinks it should be. I'll update when I get around to it. Damn work cutting into my mustang time. Bastards!

I want to disable my PATS too. Did that come with a custom tune or something? I have an auto computer and a GGL3 manual computer. I'd like to use the manual one.

Here's where the cable goes into the steering column as part of the shiftlock assembly. If this part needs to be held by the cable forward or back for the ignition lock cylinder I'll find out and let you know.
column1.jpg

JohnTaper

Reaction score
OK, well the lock cylinder moves the cable so it can be left out. I left the cable out completely and have no issues.

OP
OP
Orange Stang

Orange Stang

Reaction score
well guys, my uncle who was the main reason were gonna attempt this swap got some bad news today, most likely cancer...... so by myself, not even me and my dad can do this so untill i find someone local the swap is postponed....

5.0kid

Reaction score
not good news to hear :( I hope your uncle can get through it!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RevJon

Members online