Cold air intake system

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
Right I'm in a mustang club and later today I've found someone that is willing to remive their CAI (its the one that goes into the inner wing) and see what happens. I will report back later

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
He's doing a inlet manifold change and has allowed me to use his CAI for the day until his gaskets turn up.
Well it is in and I have to say I don't like the look. Yes there is a little more induction noise but as of yet I can't still if there is a difference or not but my first impression are it's not worth the money.

lutter94

Reaction score
I have the MAC CAI, where it puts the filter in the fender with a prefilter bag thing around it. It is a pain to check it, I def do not check it on its yearly oil change, but when I have its just as clean as new. It isn't my daily driver though, but probably has 30,000 miles on the filter if I had to guess. The MAC may be discontinued. idk.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Another thing people complain about with a fenderwell intake is sucking water through it. I dont know if all these people are driving through deep puddles or what lol but given what Ive read it would seem theyre more prone to issues like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
Well I've done around a 100 miles today with two types of CAI systems. The first was the one I've borrowed that has a very small filter and goes in the wing. Well with that system I noticed no mpg increase or decrease, the acceleration felt the same as when the stock air intake was fitted BUT the mustang did fell more sluggish in the lower rpms with this type of system and there was a small increase in induction noise.
Would i spend $200 plus on it NOT A CHANGE.

The other thing I tried was to pop on down to Halfords (a car parts shop here in the UK )
And brought a K&N air filter a big fat one and put that on the stock air intake hose just for shits and giggles and was surprised with the out come. Once again no increase or decrease in mpg, the induction roar was f@#king amazing it really was the engine sounded so much bigger than it actually is. Now because of the massive induction roar it did give the impression that there was more power, quicker acceleration and so on but in reality it didn't, it was just a tick. The extra noise just gives you the impression that there's more power, more acceleration and so on. The air filter only cost me £15 as well
So long story short the £200 plus CAI made sod all difference, the £15 air filter on the stock air hose made the engine sound so much bigger but once again no improvement in power or mpg. May be a tune would of help out a little or like someone on here said earlier "once the cams and heads have been changed them an aftermarket CAI will make a difference)

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
The only difference people feel in acceleration from a CAI or filter change is due to the loss in weight in their wallet. Our brain wants to find a reason to justify the price an if your using your ass as a calibrated tool to do so, well then your ass is better than mine I am so sorry to say........

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
I've made my mind up I will leave the CAI and put that £200 towards something else
Cheers for your help lads

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
dang 200 pounds is a seriously steep I forget how they tax you over there. People were not joking that you can probably put one together for significantly less. As you saw its just some pipe, hose clamps, silicon boots and a filter.

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
Yep we get tax to death here in the UK. I will most likely have a go at building my own CAI just for fun

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I made a bigger pipe to go between my supercharger and intake just because I do not know of one that is made to buy. I needed a pipe with a bend in it so I measured that angle and ordered the pipe off of ebay. I cut it to length and then had the bypass valve welded on at a local place that does aluminum welding.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Im interested to know the flow difference between 2v and 3v heads and intake. I know its apples to oranges but perhaps a larger maf, if the heads and intake can utilize the extra flow, would have any effect on power. I know 3v heads flow comparable to 4v heads but what Id like to know is can opening up the maf housing, and thus the intake, increase power. Most aftermarket intakes for 3v’s utilize a 100mm maf housing yet nobody runs that size on say a mach 1 or cobra. Would is help like it does on a 3v? That would be an interesting test. And if converting to a slot style maf would have any effect on power because they are more accurate and have a larger range.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I just got a JLT cold air intake for the cobra seems like its a band short I have it fitted to the original mass air flow
Made out of plastic abs
Well see how it turns out

01yellercobra

Reaction score
Im interested to know the flow difference between 2v and 3v heads and intake. I know its apples to oranges but perhaps a larger maf, if the heads and intake can utilize the extra flow, would have any effect on power. I know 3v heads flow comparable to 4v heads but what Id like to know is can opening up the maf housing, and thus the intake, increase power. Most aftermarket intakes for 3v’s utilize a 100mm maf housing yet nobody runs that size on say a mach 1 or cobra. Would is help like it does on a 3v? That would be an interesting test. And if converting to a slot style maf would have any effect on power because they are more accurate and have a larger range.

Generally going to a larger MAF doesn't give any power increase. It's only needed when pegging the MAF. What would be interesting is comparing the 100mm size to the stock size with no performance changes to the tune on the S197's. Since when those guys go to a larger intake they also install a tune. That skews the results.

FWIW, I ran the stock MAF on my 01 until I put the blower on. With the JLT and exhaust I was close to 300rwhp and didn't need a larger MAF.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Generally going to a larger MAF doesn't give any power increase. It's only needed when pegging the MAF. What would be interesting is comparing the 100mm size to the stock size with no performance changes to the tune on the S197's. Since when those guys go to a larger intake they also install a tune. That skews the results.

FWIW, I ran the stock MAF on my 01 until I put the blower on. With the JLT and exhaust I was close to 300rwhp and didn't need a larger MAF.

I worded that incorrectly but I think you get what I meant. I know you dont gain power by simply swapping mafs but would opening up the intake tract have any effect? The stock maf is already bigger than any throttle body that fits on a 2v anyway. Now with a 4v a larger maf housing might have the same effect as the 3v.

That would be an interesting test indeed. Im interested to know if its the larger opening or tune that gives more power. Im betting its the tune though.

Unlike a 2v, the 3v and coyote have larger throttle bodies and more head volume that need extra air, however, I wonder if a comparable intake/throttle body size on a 2v would benefit the same or are the heads the biggest factor. I guess my question is whether its the heads that necessitate the smaller throttle body/maf/intake on the 2v or is it that nobody has thought it out before. Its probably the heads but it would be an interesting test to adapt a 3v intake/cobra tb onto a 2v engine and test. If someone made adaptor plates Id be the guinea pig for that one lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online