Continental 4v Purchase, Price, Disassembly

Reaction score
I've been trying to find deals on Teksid blocks, Cobra cranks, 4v heads, etc. I've already purchased a 99 Cobra shortblock from work which has a cracked pistonfor $250. I'm just hoping the Teksid block and crank are good. I'll scrap the rods and pistons.

Two weekends ago myself and onelow2v took a trip two hours away to Philly to pick up an 01 Continental engine for $150 which he had previously listed as... $300 or something like that. This included the transmission and frame. Brownie was a sport to go with me because I don't have a truck so I had no way of bringing the engine back. What sucked was that I found out it was not an 01 Continental. It had the early Continental style intake and spark plug wires. From what I've read online, the heads should be identical to 96-98 Cobra heads up until 00 when they had the same as the 99-01 c heads. However, I'm only going by what I read online since Sean Hyland Motorsports and Johnny Lightning never got back to me. And no one else could give me a straight answer (MMR, etc.).

http://www.modularfords.com/f164/01-cobra-motor-vs-01-continental-85810/

Anyway, we got to this guy's house and the Continental is back halved and the whole subframe was on the ground, but the strut was stuck on the one fender that was still attached to the car. As soon as we were there, he said he'd give me everything for $100. With some more torching and a chain hooked up to an S10, it came out. The engine hoist wasn't strong enough so we had to separate the engine and the subframe. Let's just say we left about two hours later, but with a ton of scrap AND the two cats from the car. Here's a breakdown of the cost so far and the next post will include pictures.

Engine/Subframe/2 Cats/Struts/errrrthang - -$100
Breakfast for myself and Brownie - $20 (-$120)
Gas - $50 (-$170)
Dinner for myself and Brownie - $40 (-$210)
Two cats - $90 ($-120)

So I'm in the hole $120 and I have a bunch to scrap yet including quite a bit of aluminum.

If anyone can confirm that the heads are the same as the Cobras, that'd be great. I haven't checked for any part numbers on the heads yet. Probably be a smart thing to do....

OP
OP
W
Reaction score
Not consecutive days....

Picking up the engine:
dyta2a5a.jpg

senadaje.jpg

Saw this on the way back. We ran if off the road.
a6yvy9yt.jpg

Day 1:
nygume9a.jpg

apysuzav.jpg

saryqejy.jpg

Day 2:
uvyvaqab.jpg

egavanat.jpg

Day 3 w/ closeups of the timing setup:
avyzate8.jpg

equ5ugu7.jpg

ysepa6ur.jpg

na7a8u3u.jpg

edumuby8.jpg

Day 4:
epahu2yj.jpg

baty2uqe.jpg

a6y3a7ud.jpg

6e6y6egy.jpg

ereheqys.jpg

Sorry if the pictures are sideways but... I just don't care.

Nightmare

Reaction score
Well I dont know the answer to the head question, however I think you should get your 100 bucks back if you scrap the block. Problem is that the Continental blocks, being fwd, dont have the same bolt patterns as the bell housing to block of a rwd

Marvin97

Reaction score
They look like B-heads to me. The cams will have a different profile than cobras, and of course the intakes are different as well.

BigBore96

Reaction score
The 99-02 (02 being the last year IIRC) Continentals are the same C heads on the mustangs.

FrankenStang

Reaction score
all ud have todo to make it just like a cobra is swap out the intake cams and the intake...o ya, and no forged internals also..4v FTW !!!!!!!!!!!

FrankenStang

Reaction score
AND WOAAAAAA whats up with the milkshake on that valve cover??? she have a blown head gasket?

OP
OP
W
Reaction score
and again, the block can't be used so it's pretty far from a cobra motor. the cam covers are fine. that's not sludge, just the color of the parts.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Nightmare

Reaction score
all ud have todo to make it just like a cobra is swap out the intake cams and the intake...o ya, and no forged internals also..4v FTW !!!!!!!!!!!

and again, the block can't be used so it's pretty far from a cobra motor. the cam covers are fine. that's not sludge, just the color of the parts.

Lol

BigBore96

Reaction score
AND WOAAAAAA whats up with the milkshake on that valve cover??? she have a blown head gasket?

The discoloration is pretty common for that side head. The traditional "Passenger" side of the 4.6s are always sitting in a pool of oil due to the timing chain pushing oil up in it more so than the "driver" side. (which with oil changes doesn't always get it out so it can sludge and cause what you see there)

Those are indeed B heads though. At first glance it's tough to tell because of the rags you have in place of the intake ports however, the first picture you posted gives it away 100%. Dual port with 1 round and 1 square. Which are the same as the Cobra's just not the Cobra C's you hoped for and they should have the improved combustion chamber design and same springs as the 96-98 Cobra. If you want take some closer pictures of the springs and a combustion chamber shot to know for sure if it's got the revised design or not. (It's nothing major, just some light dremel work could do it if they need it)

OP
OP
W
Reaction score
The discoloration is pretty common for that side head. The traditional "Passenger" side of the 4.6s are always sitting in a pool of oil due to the timing chain pushing oil up in it more so than the "driver" side. (which with oil changes doesn't always get it out so it can sludge and cause what you see there)

Those are indeed B heads though. At first glance it's tough to tell because of the rags you have in place of the intake ports however, the first picture you posted gives it away 100%. Dual port with 1 round and 1 square. Which are the same as the Cobra's just not the Cobra C's you hoped for and they should have the improved combustion chamber design and same springs as the 96-98 Cobra. If you want take some closer pictures of the springs and a combustion chamber shot to know for sure if it's got the revised design or not. (It's nothing major, just some light dremel work could do it if they need it)

I knew they looked the same, but I wasn't sure if they were exactly the same. I didn't know if they might be cast with different water passages or something like that. I'll have to get some more pictures.

BigBore96

Reaction score
Nope, same all around. What year was this actually pulled from?

In the mean time, this is what the CC should look like if it's got the revisions. The bottom bowl between the two intake valves should look like that, instead of how between the exhaust ports look.

2012-03-19_15-47-02_356-1.jpg

OP
OP
W
Reaction score
Looks like the revised version extends into the middle further. ill probably get a look friday. like I said, the guy said 01 and I was like no..... now that I think about it, I believe my buddy looked at a sticker on the cam cover and told me it said 96.

4vGts

Reaction score
B heads for sure I think you should just resell it!!!

OP
OP
W
Reaction score
My friend's dad scrapped the pile you see and got me $40. I scrapped the following pictures along with some very small stuff for another $57.32.Engine/Subframe/2 Cats/Struts/errrrthang - -$100 Breakfast for myself and Brownie - $20 (-$120) Gas - $50 (-$170) Dinner for myself and Brownie - $40 (-$210) Two cats - $90 ($-120) Subframe/Struts/Etc. - $40 ($-80)Engine/Torque Conv/Etc. - $57 (-$23)Total - Set back $23 and I have a complete set of heads to show for it. If I didn't count gas or food, I made out even better. Also, I have a lead on some 03 Cobra cams for $50. Things are coming together slowly but steadily. ) This was taken today:
IMG_5411.jpg
IMG_5412.jpg
IMG_5413.jpg
IMG_5414.jpg
IMG_5416.jpg
IMG_5415.jpg
IMG_5417.jpg

BigBore96

Reaction score
Looks good. But dont buy the 03 cams they are junk. You want 96 to98. 99s arent bad. Slightly less duration that 98s.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
BigBore, you got any tech info on that? If you post it up in the 4v section, I'll stick it :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdude138

Members online