Control arm angles

Benni614

Reaction score
Don’t they do that anyway :)
Well not when the springs are stock no but if ur shocks are bad and springs are then yes. If u lower it without proper suspension supports then yes
But in my opinion
Lower springs
Offset bushings for rack
Bump steer kit

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

CobraEd

Reaction score
Here are pics of my 03 Cobra with MM coilovers, moderate lowering, & MM taper style bumpsteer kit. The angles of the control arms & tie rods of my Cobra don't look that much different than yours.

However, you cannot minimize bumpsteer by simply eye balling the control arm & tie rod angles & trying to match them up by adding bumpsteer shim stacks at tie rod ends.

You need to measure the amount of bumpsteer with a bumpsteer gauge at various points thru the range of your suspension movement to know how much bumpsteer you have & adjust it out with shims.

Offset rack bushings with a stock k-member quite possibly would increase bumpsteer. Offset rack bushings usually are appropriate to use with aftermarket k-members where the control arm attachment is raised above the stock location.
719f20295fa2f1b90c081b3854daa882.jpg
416ca4887dea0582ce2b4823e17795bb.jpg
9d55a497cf04706dafcf703007d5ca81.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Benni614

Reaction score
Here are pics of my 03 Cobra with MM coilovers, moderate lowering, & MM taper style bumpsteer kit. The angles of the control arms & tie rods of my Cobra don't look that much different than yours.

However, you cannot minimize bumpsteer by simply eye balling the control arm & tie rod angles & trying to match them up by adding bumpsteer shim stacks at tie rod ends.

You need to measure the amount of bumpsteer with a bumpsteer gauge at various points thru the range of your suspension movement to know how much bumpsteer you have & adjust it out with shims.

Offset rack bushings with a stock k-member quite possibly would increase bumpsteer. Offset rack bushings usually are appropriate to use with aftermarket k-members where the control arm attachment is raised above the stock location.

Agreed I never stated just boom install it and its gd there is some work into it

CobraEd

Reaction score
Agreed I never stated just boom install it and its gd there is some work into it

I included that information for the benefit of the original poster, since he may not be aware of the measurement aspect of adjusting for bumpsteer.

I figured you are aware but OP might not know. You have the same MM bumpsteer kit I used on my Cobra & the instructions for it lay out how to measure & adjust to minimize bumpsteer.

Benni614

Reaction score
I included that information for the benefit of the original poster, since he may not be aware of the measurement aspect of adjusting for bumpsteer.

I figured you are aware but OP might not know. You have the same MM bumpsteer kit I used on my Cobra & the instructions for it lay out how to measure & adjust to minimize bumpsteer.
Agreed. I mean I appreciate it and I know others will.
I try to post meaningful info as well
I mean I know people want mods and performance parts I try to educate folks on things is all

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score

This is solid information. My comment about raising the rack relative to the control arms was an excerpt from an article on Maximum Motorsport’s website:

“The offset positions can be used to either raise the steering rack, reducing the height of bumpsteer spacers used at the steering arms; or to lower the rack, providing clearance for oversized oil pans.”

https://www.maximummotorsports.com/tech_steering_rack_bushing.aspx

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
Bump steer gauge ?
This is all new to me so any and I mean any information on setting up bump steer is much appreciated.
So I’m the perfect world should the tie rods be parallel as much as possible when leaving the rack or parallel to the control arms?
I’ve heard and read both of the above but you can’t have both it’s either one or the other so which should it be ?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score

your 03 cobra looks a lot like a fox body :)

CobraEd

Reaction score
Yes that is my 85 GT in the pics. I also bumpsteered my Cobra front & rear but don't have pics of that operation.
e85b8c604d78d1ce626f80176ccaf36d.jpg

CobraEd

Reaction score
The first 2 pics are the front end of my Cobra. The 3rd pic with bumpsteer gauge set up is my 85 GT.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yes that is my 85 GT in the pics. I also bumpsteered my Cobra front & rear but don't have pics of that operation.
e85b8c604d78d1ce626f80176ccaf36d.jpg

So the irs need to be bumpsteered as well when lowered???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CobraEd

Reaction score
So the irs need to be bumpsteered as well when lowered???

Yes it was definitely needed on mine. IRS can have unpredictable bumpsteer. My Cobra was already lowered when I got it, so I don't know what stock height was, but I estimate it is lowered approximately 1.5 ". I would not want to go any lower because I have to pull into or out of my driveway diagonally to avoid scraping.

Here's a situation in which I experienced bumpsteer which made it clear to me I had a rear bumpsteer problem. I took a 45 degree corner at 45 mph on clean, dry, level, excellent condition paved surface & the rear end kicked out. No way it should have done that at that speed under those conditions. Should have been able to negotiate that corner at much higher speed without a problem.

At that point in time it had already been converted to MM coilovers, but still had the stock rubber bushings in the IRS & stock IRS tie rods. It was too unpredictable in cornering situations.

After that I installed the complete FTBR IRS package which in addition to Delrin bushings included tie rods which are shimmable at both the inboard & outboard ends. After that IRS upgrade, alignment & bumpsteering front & rear, it is now extremely responsive & predictable with no noticeable bumpsteer. Night & day difference.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yes it was definitely needed on mine. IRS can have unpredictable bumpsteer. My Cobra was already lowered when I got it, so I don't know what stock height was, but I estimate it is lowered approximately 1.5 ". I would not want to go any lower because I have to pull into or out of my driveway diagonally to avoid scraping.

Here's a situation in which I experienced bumpsteer which made it clear to me I had a rear bumpsteer problem. I took a 45 degree corner at 45 mph on clean, dry, level, excellent condition paved surface & the rear end kicked out. No way it should have done that at that speed under those conditions. Should have been able to negotiate that corner at much higher speed without a problem.

At that point in time it had already been converted to MM coilovers, but still had the stock rubber bushings in the IRS & stock IRS tie rods. It was too unpredictable in cornering situations.

After that I installed the complete FTBR IRS package which in addition to Delrin bushings included tie rods which are shimmable at both the inboard & outboard ends. After that IRS upgrade, alignment & bumpsteering front & rear, it is now extremely responsive & predictable with no noticeable bumpsteer. Night & day difference.

I’m gonna be bolting mine in as a bone stock piece just to get this beast rolling again. Once the car is back to drivable then the irs will come back out for a complete upgrade with all of the full tilt goodies.

Thanks for the input!!!!!

CobraEd

Reaction score
I’m gonna be bolting mine in as a bone stock piece just to get this beast rolling again. Once the car is back to drivable then the irs will come back out for a complete upgrade with all of the full tilt goodies.

Thanks for the input!!!!!

Sounds like a good plan.
Bump steer gauge ?
This is all new to me so any and I mean any information on setting up bump steer is much appreciated.
So I’m the perfect world should the tie rods be parallel as much as possible when leaving the rack or parallel to the control arms?
I’ve heard and read both of the above but you can’t have both it’s either one or the other so which should it be ?
The instructions to the Maximum Motorsports taper style bumpsteer kit referenced above provide detailed instructions on how to adjust to minimize bumpsteer. You will need to purchase a bumpsteer gauge setup in order to measure bumpsteer. The Maximum Motorsports bumpsteer gauge is the most reasonably priced one of which I am aware. Here is a link to the bumpsteer instructions.
https://www.maximummotorsports.com/Assets/install/pdf/steering/MMTR-2-4-7r2.pdf

Maximum Motorsports is a great source for technical information on Mustang suspension, steering, spindle & brake swaps, from engineers & racers who really know what they are talking about. They also have excellent email technical support. Maximum Motorsports is my go to source for all things suspension.

I recommend you check out MaximumMotorsports.com . The technical information on their website answers a large portion of the suspension related questions which come up on these Mustang forums & Facebook groups.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
maximum motorsports is a fantastic place to get info just like this. I wish I had a buddy that had a maximum motorsports gauge I could borrow to measure the bump stop with on mine. I have their K and front control arms and I have been happy with them. I know there are a number of great brands out there but maximum motorsports is near the top of the list of anyone that knows their stuff.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online