Convertible 6 or 8 point roll bar help

GT3FC

Reaction score
I have a couple questions for this one first off I want a roll bar to help tie the car together. Would an 8 point roll bar have any major benefits compared to a 6-point as far stiffening up the body goes? also I have heard that bolt in sub frame connectors are pretty much worthless when compared to welded in sub frame connectors. Will this translate to a bolt in roll bar being worthless compared to a weld in roll bar (as far as stiffening up the body goes and reducing flex?

330CubeGt

Reaction score
In my own opinion, if I purchased a bolt in kit I would bolt it in make sure it was all in the right spot and weld it up.I see more benifits and a more ridged chassis but welding it up. Although bolt in goodies are still a upgrade over the car sitting in stock form.

The cheaper ebay subframes work well and I have Installed them in a buddys car, work great for lowered cars.But if money aint ant option the full length maximum motor sports fub frames are the best out there imo. We installed a set on g36mokeys car a few months back and there 10x better then any ebay subframes.

As far as the cage goes if its just a street/ strip car I would still have it welded in. Some that are just full blown race cars cut holes in the floor boards and weld the cage to the sub frames.But there is no need to go that far.

These are just my opinions.

OP
OP
GT3FC

GT3FC

Reaction score
Alright thanks for the info. One question I forgot. Do you by any chance know how the complete roll bar kits actually fit on if you need to modify it for certain seats? Just basically a kit be custom made. I would like to have one custom made but I'm not sure if it's worth the money

330CubeGt

Reaction score
You can buy a mild steel kit that's pre fit for your specific car and already pipe notched etc so it just needs to be put in place and welded. Just have to shop around. I think there was actually a fab shop on ebay putting kits out for mustangs 1979-2004. In the $300 area. I never caged mine so I have no real world experience as to how easy or hard a install might be.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
In my own opinion, if I purchased a bolt in kit I would bolt it in make sure it was all in the right spot and weld it up.I see more benifits and a more ridged chassis but welding it up. Although bolt in goodies are still a upgrade over the car sitting in stock form.

The cheaper ebay subframes work well and I have Installed them in a buddys car, work great for lowered cars.But if money aint ant option the full length maximum motor sports fub frames are the best out there imo. We installed a set on g36mokeys car a few months back and there 10x better then any ebay subframes.

As far as the cage goes if its just a street/ strip car I would still have it welded in. Some that are just full blown race cars cut holes in the floor boards and weld the cage to the sub frames.But there is no need to go that far.

These are just my opinions.

agreed... Although if you can find a local guy that will do a set.. When I lived in Va I got the steel from the yard which was I think .120 wall 3x1.5 and had him weld it in... Don't think MM can compete with that.

racenmotorsports

Reaction score
If you are looking for a kit, check day motorsports or speedway racing sites. They deal mostly with race car stuff, but may have a kit for our cars. My race car is a camaro and I built a cutlass for dirt track, so that's my experience with their cages. Also, Jegs has a pretty good kit available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Staff online

Members online