Quickjack + Convertible = confused

frank336

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I recently picked up my second mustang! That thing is a beauty,1995, triple black 5.0L! I bought it from the second owner and it only have 75k miles on it. Its pretty much stock except a BBK cold air intake and 17'' Cobra wheel.

Now a week after i bought the mustang i saw an add on facebook marketplace for a quickjack 5000lbs that is pretty much new. I jumped on it since i now have my own house and garage to work on the mustang. and i already have dome parts to install.

I then looked online for some tips on where to lift the mustang with a quickjack and found pretty much nothing. My car does not have frame connector, and i know that LMR sells a pinch weld jack plate for mustang but in the video that showcase the product it is said that you cannot lift the sn95 convertible by the pinch weld. So i'm confused as if i can really use my quickjack with it?.

I know that if i need to work on the front wheel/suspension, i can lift the front with a jack under the k-member and put jackstand under the front of the frame rail, and in the back i can lift the car by the diff and put jackstand on the axle tube. But if i need to lift the rear leaving the axle tube free for like a control arm swap or spring swap, where the hell do you put jackstand? Directly under the flat part of the torquebox with maybe a piece of wood to spread the weight on it?

So basically is my purchase of a quickjack is useless? I dont really care if yes it is because these sells pretty well and for the price i paid i'm pretty sure i can sell it for the same if not a little more. But i would like to use it but in the correct way!

Am i over thinking this? I Just went on cars and bids, its a car auction site and usually people put a lot of pictures, and checked every auction of convertible sn95 and i saw that a lot of them had picture taken on lift and they were all using the pinch weld.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

r3dn3ck

Reaction score
Yes,, you're overthinking it. I use the flat by the torque box. I occasionally use the frame rails too on cars without subframe connectors. On cars with them, if I can get the jack under the connector then I lift by that.

95opal

Reaction score
Just jack it at the pumpkin place your jackstands on the rear of frame rails and lowerb the jack to let rear suspension hang. Not complicated.

OP
OP
F

frank336

Reaction score
Did it come with the rubber blocks with the cross hatches in them? I ordered those when I bought mine. They're for lining up the pinch welds with the QJ. If not you could probably buy something for it to work. Check the quickjack site.
https://www.quickjack.com/pinch-weld-blocks/
yeah i bought some pinch weld block from amazon but the thing is that the side skirt sits basically flush with the pinchweld....i dont want to pry the sideskirt while jacking up the car. Ill post some picture tonight

OP
OP
F

frank336

Reaction score
I think you guys might have missed the fact he's using a Quick Jack.

@frank336

here

Yeah thanks! the question was indeed more for the quickjack, and i saw that video but i'm pretty sure he have some frame connector on his mustang.

ctandc

Reaction score
Yeah thanks! the question was indeed more for the quickjack, and i saw that video but i'm pretty sure he have some frame connector on his mustang.
He's not using the pinch weld in that video. Look how far inboard the Quickjack is. He's jacking up on the subframe rail - where the factory front jacking point is? That rail.

OP
OP
F

frank336

Reaction score
He's not using the pinch weld in that video. Look how far inboard the Quickjack is. He's jacking up on the subframe rail - where the factory front jacking point is? That rail.
yeah i know he is not using the pinch weld, he lifts his car by the frame connector, mine does not have them, maybe thats the only way around.

abgray56

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I recently picked up my second mustang! That thing is a beauty,1995, triple black 5.0L! I bought it from the second owner and it only have 75k miles on it. Its pretty much stock except a BBK cold air intake and 17'' Cobra wheel.

Now a week after i bought the mustang i saw an add on facebook marketplace for a quickjack 5000lbs that is pretty much new. I jumped on it since i now have my own house and garage to work on the mustang. and i already have dome parts to install.

I then looked online for some tips on where to lift the mustang with a quickjack and found pretty much nothing. My car does not have frame connector, and i know that LMR sells a pinch weld jack plate for mustang but in the video that showcase the product it is said that you cannot lift the sn95 convertible by the pinch weld. So i'm confused as if i can really use my quickjack with it?.

I know that if i need to work on the front wheel/suspension, i can lift the front with a jack under the k-member and put jackstand under the front of the frame rail, and in the back i can lift the car by the diff and put jackstand on the axle tube. But if i need to lift the rear leaving the axle tube free for like a control arm swap or spring swap, where the hell do you put jackstand? Directly under the flat part of the torquebox with maybe a piece of wood to spread the weight on it?

So basically is my purchase of a quickjack is useless? I dont really care if yes it is because these sells pretty well and for the price i paid i'm pretty sure i can sell it for the same if not a little more. But i would like to use it but in the correct way!

Am i over thinking this? I Just went on cars and bids, its a car auction site and usually people put a lot of pictures, and checked every auction of convertible sn95 and i saw that a lot of them had picture taken on lift and they were all using the pinch weld.

Thanks a lot!
Should be no problem lifting by the pinch welds using the rubber blocks that came with the quickjack. Mine isn't a convertible but I use the pinch welds with my quickjack no problem. That's where any body shop would lift the car.

95opal

Reaction score
Should be no problem lifting by the pinch welds using the rubber blocks that came with the quickjack. Mine isn't a convertible but I use the pinch welds with my quickjack no problem. That's where any body shop would lift the car.

If I caught a body shop lifting my car by the pinch weld they'd have some serious problems on their hands

OP
OP
F

frank336

Reaction score
If I caught a body shop lifting my car by the pinch weld they'd have some serious problems on their hands
That's why i'm asking the question! Friday i have a day off at the job so ill take some time to check under the car, maybe the quickjack have enough length to grab the front frame and rear frame near the torque box. Ill check that.

ctandc

Reaction score
There is a big difference between lifting a Mustang from the pinch weld with say a 2 post lift or a jack / jack stands - where the force is concentrated in one area on the pinch weld - versus the ENTIRE pinch weld sitting on a rubber covered surface like the Quick Jack.

Bronco2Fan

Reaction score
On mine, there's places where the side skirt doesn't touch the pinch weld. Right behind the front wheels and in front of the rear wheels. You have to place the blocks and adjust the location as you jack it up. It honestly is a pain to do by yourself, because you're moving the QJ and blocks to make sure where they are. Mine sat in the air overnight with no problem.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
I never felt comfortable with using the pinch weld, even with the proper blocks. Always felt it wasn't sturdy enough to support lateral movement, if any. I've never touched them, and would flip out if i saw someone jack up my cars from there.

I use these spots below. I did this on my fox before the SFC's and after. my '00 convertible has the factory SFC's which suck and get in the way. Not as good of a jack point as the MM SFC's on my Fox.

This car has SFC's but I was trying to show where i put the car without SFC's, so ignore them in this pic.
1699454025850.png

In the back of the car, there is a fold of metal over the rear frame rail. That's where i put my stands
1699454291664.png

Unsure if the quickjack will reach those points.

OP
OP
F

frank336

Reaction score
I never felt comfortable with using the pinch weld, even with the proper blocks. Always felt it wasn't sturdy enough to support lateral movement, if any. I've never touched them, and would flip out if i saw someone jack up my cars from there.

I use these spots below. I did this on my fox before the SFC's and after. my '00 convertible has the factory SFC's which suck and get in the way. Not as good of a jack point as the MM SFC's on my Fox.

This car has SFC's but I was trying to show where i put the car without SFC's, so ignore them in this pic.
View attachment 29888

In the back of the car, there is a fold of metal over the rear frame rail. That's where i put my stands
View attachment 29890

Unsure if the quickjack will reach those points.
Thanks for the pictures! I just found this book online that point out correct lifting point and they look like the one you highlighted on your picture! Ill measure the distance tonight between those spot and compare with what the quickjack can spread apart.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• mustang lift.png
    mustang lift.png
    72 KB · Views: 8

PinkieT

Reaction score
When I had my wife's car's exhaust replaced they used a ramp lift and put blocks at the factory jack lift points with slots in them to the weight was transferred to the flat metal 90 degrees above the lift points.

OP
OP
F

frank336

Reaction score
On mine, there's places where the side skirt doesn't touch the pinch weld. Right behind the front wheels and in front of the rear wheels. You have to place the blocks and adjust the location as you jack it up. It honestly is a pain to do by yourself, because you're moving the QJ and blocks to make sure where they are. Mine sat in the air overnight with no problem.
Are those the one you talk about? The rear one looks ok but the front one is not 100% flat, looks like there is a tab on it so the block don't sits flush20231108_163539.jpg20231108_163629.jpg

OP
OP
F

frank336

Reaction score
Update,

I tried the quickjack this afternoon and it is long enough for the front frame, and rear torquebox to sit on the block of the quickjack! 20231108_151901.jpg20231108_151814.jpg20231108_151806.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online