Convertible well liner replacement

heffe2001

Reaction score
My well liner on my '00 GT has seen better days, and I'd like to replace it. Anybody here done this before, and know if you have to mess with the top's mounting places at all?

samc

Reaction score
My well liner on my '00 GT has seen better days, and I'd like to replace it. Anybody here done this before, and know if you have to mess with the top's mounting places at all?

It just un snaps across the back, you'll need to remove the back seat to get to the forward part. Easy job. Dont have to mess with the top itself.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Samc is your go to guy... I didn't have the guts to do it myself and paid for my replacement. I break stuff when I am angry and could see a lot of broken parts if I did my own top work :)

OP
OP
H

heffe2001

Reaction score
I had my top replaced about a year or so ago, so it's a new top, but for whatever reason I didn't opt for them to replace the well liner at the same time. I'm also planning on pulling the well trim off soon and repainting it, they look bad on my car.

OP
OP
H

heffe2001

Reaction score
It just un snaps across the back, you'll need to remove the back seat to get to the forward part. Easy job. Dont have to mess with the top itself.

That's what I wanted to know, I'll order one sometime next week and see if I can replace it while I'm working on the other interior stuff I'm doing.

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It's a pretty easy replacement, but not very well documented anywhere... If you want to, snap a few pictures while you're in the process and post them up. It may help some folks in the future. :)

samc

Reaction score
I had my top replaced about a year or so ago, so it's a new top, but for whatever reason I didn't opt for them to replace the well liner at the same time. I'm also planning on pulling the well trim off soon and repainting it, they look bad on my car.

by that you mean the metal trim thing that surrounds the top at the rear? Once you have the back seat out it's not too bad to get off; remove the inside quarter panels (with the speakers; no need to disconnect the wiring, just pop out the plastic trim clips), pull off the inside window weather strip (just pulls off), and unscrew. Actually, come to think of it, that's pretty stupid design, but never mind. There're three, I think, screws on a side, including one that's almost hidden way towards the back and which you can safely leave off; plus the half dozen or so screws along the trunk lip. The trim is in three pieces, either get help or cover everything or you'll scratch the bejeezus out of the car because it's a big, floppy piece of sharp metal with a mind of it's own. Guess how I know this. Good time to make sure the nuts that hold the cylinder pivots are tight, look for leaks, etc since it's all apart. if your top needs adjusting to fit better, you're now looking at the adjustment to raise and lower the front bow,which is otherwise hard to get to. It's the slot with two bolts, one 15 mm and one 10 mm head, tiny movements here make a huge difference up front. Raise the slide thing in the slot to lower the front bow, good idea to scribe a mark first so you can go back to where you started after finally deciding that it was right in the first place. Guess how I know this, too....

I believe the well liner is $80 from Topsonline.com, plus a few bucks for priority mail shipping. Since it probably flat rates at 2+ hours, at, what? $80/hour? you can take the significant other or your buddy who helped to a fancy lunch on the savings and still save a huge chunk of change.

Relatively easy, non-messy, satisfying job.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online