Coolant Leak on Drivers Side

smitdavi

Reaction score
Backed the car out of the garage and there was a little puddle of coolant on the drivers side. Haven't had a chance to crawl under it but will this weekend. Any thoughts on what it would be? It's a 95 GT, automatic.

ranger56528

Reaction score
By how it was parked can you tell if it was front or back of engine?my guess would be lower radiator hose(I'm changing mine now)either leaking from bottom or top and running down that would put it to driver side front as far as back side the heater hoses would put it on passenger side so my thought is lower radiator hose...I have the same veh.
Going out on a limb it could be a frost plug leaking also due to the age of our cars. Just Jack it up(use safety stand)and look at the block along the bottom of the exhaust manifold and see if you see any leaks on the block.

Firefighter181

Reaction score
Does the motor have the factory cold weather option with the plug in block heater? If so is it still there or has it been replaced with one of those rubber frost plug cork things? That was my first thought as to a possible coolant leak location, something to possibly look at.

ranger56528

Reaction score
Does the motor have the factory cold weather option with the plug in block heater? If so is it still there or has it been replaced with one of those rubber frost plug cork things? That was my first thought as to a possible coolant leak location, something to possibly look at.
Back in the 80's and 90's when I was in the auto field I sold lots of those rubber expansion plugs for frost plug holes,block heater would leak and it was just cheaper to some just to put in a 4 dollar expansion plug and hope it didn't fall out or leak.

OP
OP
smitdavi

smitdavi

Reaction score
Looks like it's the radiator. It leaks like this on both sides at a pretty good rate. No wonder my low coolant light came on. Here's a quick little 10 second video showing the drip. You should be able to see it right in the middle of the screen.

[video]https://youtu.be/x__BPnqu_C0[/video]

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Mishimoto is reasonably priced and hold up great. Their older units had a issue with leaking at the welds due to flexing with the car.

The Newer ones have a separate subframe that absorbs the flex so no more issues. I've had my new one for over 3 years without any issues.

Plus they offer lifetime warranty. If it leaks you only pay $25 to replace it. If you wreck your car you still only pay $25 and send pics and they replace it. I don't know of anyone else who does this.

And yes I've used the warranty once with their first design and had no issues getting it replaced. Had my new radiator quickly and you don't bother shipping yours back. You just have to agree to destroy old one.

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

ranger56528

Reaction score
Should add since it needs to be replaced buy a bottle of radiator stop leak or drop some BARS stop leek in it,might get you by for a while.

ranger56528

Reaction score
Haha the finances aren't the problem...it's the wife lol. She uttered the words "money pit" last night :)
I hear ya but my wife doesn't say money pit she just says.....Going out to the shop to ignore me again aren't ya! And I just yep how did you know hahaha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online