cooling question, a little odd.

redfire4.6

Reaction score
recently my AC has stopped working. the ac compressor wont turn on, but the fan turns on, when i turn the ac on. which leads me to my cooling issue, my fan for cooling isnt turning on, in traffic, i have to turn the heat on full to get my car to cool down. I also recently replaced my radiator with Ford and everything was working. What would cause this? I have a 97 Cobra.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Check the wires going to the fan. Mine did the same thing (1996 Gt) and it was the wires shorting our from melted coating. It’s a pretty common issue and a good place to start.

I cut & spliced a harness from the junkyard for a few bucks but if you don’t have any yards around they sell the part in the link below...

https://lmr.com/item/WPT362/94-97-Ford-Mustang-Cooling-Fan-Repair-Wiring-Harness

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Check the connections with the motor running and give all the wires a good pull/tug on the connections to test them. If they fall apart from a pull they were not done right and either already failed or in the process of failing.

Jakespeeds

Reaction score
One thing you say "i have to turn the heat on full to get my car to cool down" would make me want to look at the engine. Is it full of coolant? If it is take it out and get it warmed all the way up to operating temps and then let it cool down to cold. Take the expansion tank cap off and look in it for a minute or two. See if you see any bubbles at all. If a customer came to me and said that I would be looking at the head-gaskets immediately.

Jake

Connie

Reaction score
Also, there may not be enough refrigerant in the AC system, to run the Compressor. Have a leak check done, if nothing else is the issue on the AC side.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online