Coyote swap questions

07GtS197

Reaction score
So Im dead set on eventually coyote swapping my 02 gt but Ive still got a few questions. I know theres a lot to it but Ill ask questions when it comes closer however theres a few things that Ive been thinking about. I know you have to swap to a return style fuel system to run the control pack, could I just swap to a fox or early sn95 return style fuel system? Nobody does it so there has to be a reason. Also will there be a big difference in power output using the gen 1, 2 or 3 motors? Im being picky but if the gen 3 makes that much more power with bolt ons Id go that way but it is more expensive. Im sure with bolt ons and a tune there wont be much difference. However I did test drive a ‘12 boss (and own a 17 gt) and noticed that the boss was a dog. It had no low end torque and even revving it out didnt impress me. I like the fact that the gen 2 and 3 have charge motion plates and they seem to do a good job so that alone could sway my decision. Or maybe it was just the shorter runners of the boss intake and the intake runners dont do much, I dont know. Does anyone else have any more input? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silver95bird

Reaction score
i remember reading about the boss 302 intakes, and they really are more race/ off road oriented. meaning they give up a lot down low for more up top. there was a thread somewhere that did back to back tests of all the coyote intake manifolds. to me that proves how good the OE designs really are.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
Ive never driven a first gen coyote so I dont know how much the charge motion plates actually help. If I run the first gen control pack I cant use the charge motion plates on the gen 2/3 intake so I dont know how much performance Im giving up. I intend for it to be a street car so I dont want to give up torque is what Im getting at. Still people are still running in the mid to low 11s with the gen 1 so it might be moot.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
I've driven two gen 1 Coyotes. One was tuned and one was an stock. The tuned one had a manual trans as well. They drove similar to my 01 Cobra when it was N/A. They needed revs to move fast.

My understanding is the Cobra Jet intake is the one to get. Doesn't lose torque like the Boss intake and still allows the engine to rev to 8k. But I recently saw something about the gen 3 intake being the go to intake now.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The gen 3 intake is the superior of all the intakes. Also the runner motion control butterflys are simple vacuum actuators thats operated by vacuum and a simple open/close electric selenoid that open or closes the vacuum. The fail safe ....should the system fail, is completely open. Butterflys wide open.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
Thats why Im unsure of whether to just get a gen 1 or save up for a gen 3. I guess Im asking whether the charge motion plates make a big enough difference on a street car to make it worth it. At least with the gen 2 I could use a gen 3 intake and control the charge motion plates unlike a gen 1 which didnt have any.

Silver95bird

Reaction score
i would suppose the cost makes a difference. for $200-300 sure get the later stuff, but if it adds $1000+... id be more leery of it.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
I gotcha, makes sense Im just being picky. I guess Ill have to see what motor I can get first.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Wait.....the intake is the biggest design change and horsepower improvement from hard bolt on parts. This is the designation of the generations. Each generation got a brand new redesigned intake. Most of the hp increase come from tuning aspects, such as the direct injection. Shooting fuel ATDC and shooting a little BTDC just before ignition to keep motion charged. Im sure changes to pistons, changes to heads and cams happened but we dont hear about them for some reason.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
You have to look beyond peak numbers. The Cobra Jet will make the most average HP and the 2018 GT intake makes the most average torque. The ported 2018 GT intake is the best bang for the buck valve.

32760855-22B3-4225-9A6E-CA4252FB7165.jpeg

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
I was thinking about swapping the 18 intake on whatever I got but it would be nice to be able to use the charge motion plates. Im looking for best average torque with it being a street car too.

As far as the heads and intake, the heads werent changed that much but the gen 2 got 1mm higher lift cams and maybe bigger valves and the gen 3 got a different intake with bigger ports and valves. The gen 2 is pretty much a boss motor with a different intake with charge motion plates and the gen 3 just builds onto that. Also the gen 3 has a larger bore and direct and port injection. Also Ive read theyre under rated from the factory.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Good to know about the gen 3 updates!

As for knowing the motion butterflys for the gen2 intake, a simple window switch will work operating it. The system operates on vacuum closed by a selenoid. As vacuum is applied the butterflys shut. The selenoid will block off the vacuum and allow the spring loaded vac driven actuators to to rest keeping butterflys open

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
I had AFS delete the IMRC’s when they ported my intake. I’m hoping that having 4.10 gears and a light car will offset the “lack” of low end torque.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
When you say window switch what does that mean exactly? Ive heard about them with nitrous kits but b never really looked into them. Is it rpm activated or manually activated?

I have 3.73s in my 02 so it may be a non issue since the track pack cars came with the same gears and they were pretty quick. Maybe not as punchy in the low rpms as with the 2v but hopefully wont lose as much. As far as the 4.6 4v since it doesnt use tivct technology it will suffer a little more down low than the coyote but the gearing will more than likely make up for it. Let us know how you make out White.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
Haha I gotcha. Im in no hurry!

Also what about the fuel system? It seems that nobody uses the stock 97- return style fuel system with this swap, any reason why? It would be way cheaper than aftermarket. Im not planning on making big power with this setup by the way.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Haha I gotcha. Im in no hurry!

Also what about the fuel system? It seems that nobody uses the stock 97- return style fuel system with this swap, any reason why? It would be way cheaper than aftermarket. Im not planning on making big power with this setup by the way.

William did, he just configured it to a dead head setup.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Yes, I sure did. Kept the 97 tank and pump setup I had in there and used a return regulator. It’s supplied to the regulator and returned from the regulator then one line comes off the regulator up to the fuel rail.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
So in essence it can be done using stock harware for the most part? I dont get why people dont go that route.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
So in essence it can be done using stock harware for the most part? I dont get why people dont go that route.

You have to put a regulator in the system because the 2v rails have the regulator built in. You just need the specific connectors and correct regulator to do it this way. I’ll see if I can post a picture of my setup. I was originally going to send it White’s way when I was done but he went with a different fuel system setup. I could work out a pretty good deal for you if you’re interested. It would be the hard line connectors, braided lines to the regulator and to the fuel rail, then the connector to fit the stock rail. I’ll be taking it off mine pretty soon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srchop16

Members online