Detailed something special...

OP
OP
kissrocksforever

kissrocksforever

Reaction score
Legit question here... I was looking at the back end of the car and I have to ask... How does the rear hatch open with the exhaust pipes sticking out like that? Or does it open right above the exhaust?

The glass is the only part that lifts up as far as I know... I've never seen the painted part lift. I could be wrong though.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
Hand sanding or on a DA? On a DA with water I'd go 3k but if you're doing it by hand then 3-4k. You also might not be using a compound designed for what you want it to do.

I've never used a DA, only by hand. and I always use water. Then I use a compound designed to remove 1500 and finer sandpaper scratches.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I've never used a DA, only by hand. and I always use water. Then I use a compound designed to remove 1500 and finer sandpaper scratches.

Yeah I figured, most compounds are -1500. Reason I asked about the DA or hand sanding is hand sanding leavves deeper and sparatic scratches compared to using a DA. DA scratches are small and uniformed, thus easier to buff out.

OP
OP
kissrocksforever

kissrocksforever

Reaction score
Yeah. What Whiplash said. I'd try to get a DA. I know you can find 6 inch 3M ones in ebay for around $150. It's well worth it for the increased quality and less time needed.

Nightmare

Reaction score
Very cool, however if I were you, the three mile drive would of at least been a 30 mile drive....but then I probably wouldnt have a job long.

OP
OP
kissrocksforever

kissrocksforever

Reaction score
Very cool, however if I were you, the three mile drive would of at least been a 30 mile drive....but then I probably wouldnt have a job long.

Haha, I get to drive them often enough that I don't really feel the need to do that anymore. I had to deliver an Audi R8 around 25 miles once to the customers house. Pretty awesome haha.

Nightmare

Reaction score
Haha, I get to drive them often enough that I don't really feel the need to do that anymore. I had to deliver an Audi R8 around 25 miles once to the customers house. Pretty awesome haha.

I know the feeling. I sell cars and some of the ones that I have sold/delivered to customers arnt that special any more. (That and the ones that I see on my way to work as well)

OP
OP
kissrocksforever

kissrocksforever

Reaction score
I know the feeling. I sell cars and some of the ones that I have sold/delivered to customers arnt that special any more. (That and the ones that I see on my way to work as well)

Yeah. I normally go about my day and occasionally I remember what kind of vehicles these are and how sought after they are. It's easy to forget when you're with them everyday. The other problem about being around them everyday is that you forget how damn expensive and unaffordable they are. Lease a McLaren from $3600 per month! lol.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

Yeah. What Whiplash said. I'd try to get a DA. I know you can find 6 inch 3M ones in ebay for around $150. It's well worth it for the increased quality and less time needed.

Onyx, Make sure you get a soft interface pad as well.

http://3mcollision.com/3m-hookit-soft-interface-pads-6-inch-05777.html

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
so I'd want to get a 6" DA? So basically to sand a scratch you have to sand a ton of area around it also. Can you use water with the DA? Also isn't it easier to sand too much if using power tools? sorry for the thread derail folks.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
so I'd want to get a 6" DA?

Yes indeedie

So basically to sand a scratch you have to sand a ton of area around it also.

You can keep it pretty precise with a 6" DA since you can just tilt it and use like the 10 oclock - 2 oclock area

Can you use water with the DA?

Yep, I do it with 3000 every day at work, won't hurt a thing.

Also isn't it easier to sand too much if using power tools? sorry for the thread derail folks.

Not if you're using higher grits like we're talking about. Get down below 1000 and that's where experience comes in to not go through.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
hmm i never would have guessed you could tilt it on its side, i figured stuff like that you'd want to keep flat like when buffing.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
hmm i never would have guessed you could tilt it on its side, i figured stuff like that you'd want to keep flat like when buffing.

At higher grits it is not such an issue. At lower grit, using just a piece of the pad will create high/low spots that are extremely noticeable once you buff and bring back a shine

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
At higher grits it is not such an issue. At lower grit, using just a piece of the pad will create high/low spots that are extremely noticeable once you buff and bring back a shine

Meaning you still see then wetsanding marks? Body shop ****ed up the wetsanding on my bumper....

OP
OP
kissrocksforever

kissrocksforever

Reaction score
Meaning you still see then wetsanding marks? Body shop ****ed up the wetsanding on my bumper....

If you still see sanding marks they didn't find with a fine enough paper or didnt polish it very well... it can be fixed pretty easily usually. What Whiplash is talking about is making grooves in the clear coat because one area was sanded more than the area around it to the point that it will almost look like a dent.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
If you still see sanding marks they didn't find with a fine enough paper or didnt polish it very well... it can be fixed pretty easily usually. What Whiplash is talking about is making grooves in the clear coat because one area was sanded more than the area around it to the point that it will almost look like a dent.

They used 3000 grit.. And I had to polish it myself. They told me compound, polish and wax with a buffer and it'll come out like glass.. Yeah it came out like glass and a month later you can see the wetsanding marks on the sides and front of the bumper.. A few weeks ago I really went at it and compounded it like crazy, used a higher grade compound. Than polish and wax.. Came out good but you can still see some of the marks, and not to mention a little paint came off by the edge closest to the wheel... I'm just going to bring it to a good body shop and let them re paint it, theres spots in the paint from dust and dirt being underneath and they sprayed right over it..

OP
OP
kissrocksforever

kissrocksforever

Reaction score
They used 3000 grit.. And I had to polish it myself. They told me compound, polish and wax with a buffer and it'll come out like glass.. Yeah it came out like glass and a month later you can see the wetsanding marks on the sides and front of the bumper.. A few weeks ago I really went at it and compounded it like crazy, used a higher grade compound. Than polish and wax.. Came out good but you can still see some of the marks, and not to mention a little paint came off by the edge closest to the wheel... I'm just going to bring it to a good body shop and let them re paint it, theres spots in the paint from dust and dirt being underneath and they sprayed right over it..

They painted the bumper but they didn't even de-nib it? Dust nibs are normal.. hard to prevent them 100% but at my shop we sand them all off... as any shop should do... I'd slam that shop lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Members online

No members online now.