detailing the engine bay...? updated with some pics!!!

thorco3

Reaction score
just wondering if anybody had some good advice on cleaning up under the hood. I'm planning on taking some simple green to the engine bay to try and clean everything pretty good, anybody know of anything better to use... or just tips in general, or maybe even what not to do. I've never detailed the engine bay so i'm pretty much 'out of the know' on this one

searching didn't turn up much...

got any tips for me alitl8

ALITL8

Reaction score
Re: detailing the engine bay...?

you know i do!!! be prepared to wash and possibly re-polish/wax the car when you do the engine. i'll go into more detail when i get back from cleaning up the car my son just picked up.

OP
OP
thorco3

thorco3

Reaction score

well it's already been done now, i'll post a couple pics in a few... but i would still like to here any info you could give me for future reference. I'm sure i didn't do a professional job... but i'm not exactly popping the hood all the time either. I need a new hood and a few minor things before I'll feel that i'm ready to show anything off, just wanted to get her all cleaned up again.

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

I use simple green and a lot of time. I then use metal polish on the unfinished metal parts, then tireshine on the rubber parts. As well I put some wax on any painted surfaces.

OP
OP
thorco3

thorco3

Reaction score

that sounds a lot like what i did. I used some simple green... brushed whatever i could. then used a clean towel and pretty much wiped everything down. I also used some meguiers natural shine on any of the rubber and plastic.

anyways... here's what i ended up with... it still looks like a 6... but it's clean :hammer:

[attachment deleted by admin] SORRY HAD TO CLEAR ROOM

OP
OP
thorco3

thorco3

Reaction score

I still had plenty of day left, so I got a little ambitious... and did some polishing (well actually my old man took over and did most of the sanding)

it was hard to get any pictures to show it off though, here's the best i could do

[attachment deleted by admin] SORRY HAD TO CLEAR ROOM

Goindeafonmtx

Reaction score

thorco3 said:
I still had plenty of day left, so I got a little ambitious... and did some polishing (well actually my old man took over and did most of the sanding)

it was hard to get any pictures to show it off though, here's the best i could do
That's sick.

Now do mine.

ALITL8

Reaction score
nice job, you dont need my help ;)

the definition of detail explains what youre supposed to do... clean everything you can get your hands, brushes, towels, q-tips, etc. on to the best of your ability. sure, there's tricks of the trade but it all boils down to elbow grease :thumb:

Matt hit the nail on the head though, Simple Green is the shit!! we use it for cleaning engines, carpets, floor mats, tires, wheels, wheel wells and underbody stuff.

OP
OP
thorco3

thorco3

Reaction score
haha, well i didn't break out the q-tips... but i figure this is a pretty good starting point for future cleanings. I'm sure I will just get more particular about it as I continue to clean her up in there.

xx9gt6xx

Reaction score
Okay, here's how I did mine the first time. I got this stuff from Gumot called Steam Premium. I covered my whole engine (being carefull of all electrical, etc.) with it and then took it to the quarter wash and hosed it all off. That took all the heavey grease and grime off it. I took it back home and dried off the engine, then once it was dry I sprayed tire foam on it, wiped it off and WHALA! Here's the finished product...

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/608000-608999/608265_221_full.jpg

Once you do it once it's really easy to keep up. Now everytime I do it I just hose off the engine, dry it off, then spray the tire foam on it again. The steam premium is only needed if it's really bad. Hope this helps. Just PM me with any questions...

el docum

Reaction score
Hello,

Another rainy Saturday in Montreal, so I wash the engine bay, Before :

58c87ec8.jpg

And After :

100_0064-1.jpg

I command some chrome parts, but it's in back order for now.

Francis

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online